Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-21-2020, 10:23 PM   #1
tpd119

Question Hitch Weight

Hello All. First time posting and excited to be picking up a 189DD over the holidays. I was curious by some of the pictures, it appears the fresh water tank is up front under the queen bed. With a 36 gallon capacity at ~249lbs, if you're trying to boondock, given most of that weight will add to the hitch, with 20lbs in lp, 62lbs battery, 350lbs base hitch wt, that's 249+20+62+350 = 681. Even maxed out, with a GVWR of 3850 that's a tongue weight of ~18% without even having anything in storage. I realize not all of the tank would translate to the hitch and I didn't buy the camper for much boondocking, but it seems like it's not even an option unless you go with much less water in the tanks. Wondering if this is accurate or I'm missing something? Thanks and happy to be part of the community!
tpd119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #2
Gregory

My 199dd has the fresh water tank in back under the bunks.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
tpd119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory View Post
My 199dd has the fresh water tank in back under the bunks.
Thanks for the reply Greg. Yes it looks from the fill port the 199 is in the rear. Was hoping the 189dd was the same, but it appears not. There’s not even really an option to cross level given the storage compartment and most of the storage is forward of the axle. Hope to hear from some more who anyone that may have experience with load balancing.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
hossross

If I'm understanding you correctly, The items you mentioned contribute to GVW and Rear Axle weight so you can be sure not to exceed the max ratings for each. Hitch load is the weight added at the hitch ball by a trailer. So if you are not pulling a trailer, that weight control attribute is not appropriate. The more weight added behind the rear axle effects the front axle by unloading it. That is why most of us like as much caster as allowed ie adjust to the high end of the specification range.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
tpd119

Thanks for the response. I’m not quite understanding you fully but I should have clarified, I’m towing a Gulf Stream Amerilite 189DD and the fresh water tank is under the queen bed up front which adds most weight to the hitch. So if those tanks are full I need to add most of the remaining CCC behind the TT axle to maintain proper tongue weight between 10-15% which is basically the bathroom. Not ideal for sure.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:28 AM   #6
muleman

Not familiar with your trailer but I pull a Vista Cruiser 19rd single axle. Water tank in front under bed same size. I have battery and 2 propane tanks on front. You know lot of perspectives here one is what you are pulling with. But I pull mine with a 3/4 ton chevy van and a fair load on back of it because that is all of our storage. Many might tell you I am so wrong it hurts but to each their own. I prefer to pull mine with the tank loaded it has much less bump and jump than when empty. I do not use weight distributing hitch and this works great for me On this camper hot water tank black tank and lot kitchen storage area is in back of camper so evens out pretty good I believe just do some short runs with it loaded and fill it out for yourself won't take far at 60mph to tell how you like it then you can adjust from there.
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:47 AM   #7
tpd119

Thanks Muleman, great to know. Yes it seems if I want to have any amount in the fresh tanks I’ll def need to cross level .
Old 12-30-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
Farmer Fran

You are correct in your assessment. But I would hit the scales to get an actual measurement once loaded up to verify.

The way I would attack the "problem" is move as much "stuff" to the rear as possible, even if it means sitting things on the bathroom floor, under the kitchen table etc.... And if I am right the black and/or gray is behind the axle? if so use that to balance the rest.

You can also fill the tank as little as possible for shower/hand washing and use water jugs that you transport in the bed of the truck for drinking and dish washing. Or put the water in the bed and transfer to the holding tank once you arrive.

If the truck GVWR is an issue put the water jugs in the bathroom.

IS the spare under the bed? move that to the bumper
Farmer Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
tpd119

Thanks Farmer Fran. Picked up the trailer over the holidays and it's performed great. The rear bathroom is a great place to crosslevel and I'll def. start off there. And yes the black/gray are in the back, which would help on the way home. Seems most places we'll camp will at least have water somewhere that we can fill up on arrival. Thanks again for the tips.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #10
Ldubs

My two cents -- just make sure you maintain adequate tongue weight. You already mentioned 10% - 15%. That is the range I hear most often too. I am assuming you are well within your tow vehicle capacity and payload figures and use a weight distribution hitch. Me personally, if I have to err, I would prefer more weight on the tongue than too little, particularly if I have trailer brakes (which I do). My fresh water tank is also in front of the axle.

Enjoy!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:33 PM   #11
tpd119

Great thanks. I took it from Colorado to California and it towed beautifully with an equalizer wdh. That was just with cargo no water. I’ll try a few local trips here with water to test it out. I agree I’d err on the side of heavier.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:25 PM   #12
hossross

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpd119 View Post
Thanks for the response. I’m not quite understanding you fully but I should have clarified, I’m towing a Gulf Stream Amerilite 189DD and the fresh water tank is under the queen bed up front which adds most weight to the hitch. So if those tanks are full I need to add most of the remaining CCC behind the TT axle to maintain proper tongue weight between 10-15% which is basically the bathroom. Not ideal for sure.
Sorry I had assumed you had a motor home, disregard my comments, not accurate for a trailer .
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:28 PM   #13
BryanL21

Hey all,
Please excuse my apparent ignorance but this dialogue is freaking me out a bit. �� Isn’t this what a weight distribution hitch system is supposed to assist with?

Thank you.
BryanL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 03:58 PM   #14
Ldubs

Weight Distr Hitches do a great job of, well, distributing the weight to your vehicles axles. With a WDH, you avoid sagging at the rear suspension. Better distribution of the payload results in a better ride and is safer. What WDH won't do, unfortunately, is allow us to safely tow something that is beyond our vehicle's capacity (or the capacity of any of the towing components). Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:16 PM   #15
BryanL21

Thank you for the reply, and yes of course, BUT I guess my question is related to this specific debate regarding the front to back distribution of the cargo weight within the trailer. Don’t these systems assist with that as well - at least to some degree and under normal use circumstances. Specifically, my 30 gal fresh water tank is I n the front of the trailer and the 2 waste tanks are in the rear. Now, understand that I have not yet used the fresh water tank and typically dump the waste tanks before leaving a park, but I never worried about traveling with any of these tasks full or partially full....until now. I can’t imagine a circumstance where I would travel with all 3 tanks full, but should I be concerned about this, if I decided to use the fresh water tank, and/or travel without dumping grey/black tanks?

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:35 PM   #16
Ldubs

Aw, now I understand and I think it is a good question. What I know is that a WDH does not change the tongue weight. It is what it is.

So, a good question is does a WDH mean we should ignore the 10%-15% tongue weight rule. I think not, especially if we were talking about having less than 10%. But this is just a guess on my part. Me personally, I would not worry about having 18% on the tongue. I would worry and probably notice having only 7% on the tongue.

Sorry, not much help really.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:33 AM   #17
BryanL21

Appreciate it.

Tags
boondock, gvwr, hitch weight, tongue weight, towing