Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-12-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
robfogle

Send a message via MSN to robfogle
Default Changes at Gulf Stream

It looks like things might be changing for the better at GS. We just purchased a new 2007 GS Endura about 1 1/2 months ago. Shortly after we received a notification that we were members of the Gold Program and had a personal contact at GS for assistance with the factory. Well we received an another letter today explaining that we had new representative. hopefully things are on an up swing at GS. So it looks like they are getting rid of the people that were not doing there job. (Hopefully)

To be honest we have not had any issues or problems getting 1st class service at our dealer on warranty repairs that have been needed. They have been on time and very thorough with the repairs and fixes that have been needed so far.

I have contacted the factory twice. Once by email and once by phone. I contacted them by by email for documentation that was missing on our new coach. I received an email the next day with notification that they were very sorry for the problem and were sending out the documentation that was missing. I received the replacement docs 2 days later. The phone call that I made to the factory was immediately connected to one of the technicians and had my answer within 5 minuets. The problem was when we picked up our Endura the dealer told me that the hot water heater by-pass was behind a panel in the kitchen next to the hot water heater. When getting it ready for our first trip I wanted to make sure that the hot water heater was not in by-pass mode. When I removed the panel there was no by-pass to be found. The GS tech very quickly pointed me to the correct place in the back bedroom for the by-pass.

The only issue that I have to date is when I asked them why they put a B/W rear camera on the Color back-up system. I haven't received any answer on it they were just concerned whether it was working or not. It works fine it, to me, seems a little stupid when the two cameras are not that much different in price. When you order the kit it comes standard with a color camera. Just annoys me, that's all. Especially when the Brochure shows Pict's of a color system. Oh well I just chalk this one up to my ignorance and not knowing enough to ask before we signed on the dotted line.

But over all we love the Endure and happy we decided on it.

SE Wisconsin

2007 Gulf Stream Endura 6340
1998 Bryant 196 Limited
robfogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
RJ82much

Great post. It's nice to hear of positive experiences with "our" company. It's good that you took the time to sing praises when praise is deserved.

On the color camera thing, are you certain that the camera is B&W & and that your monitor is not just set for minimum coloration?

Please don't take offense for my asking... just covering all the bases.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #3
robfogle

Not sure if there is an adjustment for coloration or not if there is I don't know where it is. The Picture is definitely B/W.

Here is the monitor that I have. http://www.asaelectronics.com/detail...catid=&pid=169

Here is the Camera that GS sent me the docs on and said that I have.
http://www.asaelectronics.com/detail.html?catid=&pid=80

Here is the camera that is suppose to go with the monitor.
http://www.asaelectronics.com/detail.html?catid=&pid=79

SE Wisconsin

1998 Bryant 196 Limited
Old 05-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
RJ82much

Rob,

You made your case to me. It seems that you were hosed!

Your model AOM562 COLOR monitor is supposed to have the VCCS130 color camera connected. The manufacturer says so. GS provided the VBCS150B Black & White camera. That is the wrong camera for the monitor.

Hopefully you will be insisting (however you get in touch with someone) on having the correct camera installed. I would use the argument that it is the wrong camera, per the manufacturer.

Oh, there doesn't seem to be any color level adjustment on your monitor. I asked because the monitor that came with my Sun Voyager does have color level adjustment. Beats me as to why though........

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Rob,

I hope you are correct in assuming that there will be an improvement in customer service. Although I have never had a problem with getting service from GS, I have helped others that were having problems and an improvement would be welcomed by all owners.

As far as the camera/monitor, I would tell them that it is not working because there is no color on the "color monitor" as there should be. The dealer should install the correct camera for your monitor and GS should pay for it. Print the information from the ASA website and show it to the dealer on the correct monitor/camera match.

It makes me wonder how things like that happen at the factory with all the checks that they have.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #6
RJ82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Rob,

It makes me wonder how things like that happen at the factory with all the checks that they have.

Ron
Ron, as you & I have seen on multiple factory tours, at least while we were there, every aspect of the coach is supposed to be, & appears to be tested. They have a very formal production system that calls for every part by GS number or drawing. I can't believe there would even be a B&W camera in the motorized complex.

I am at a lotal loss to understand how these things can happen. Of course, I am also at a total loss to understand why it is so difficult to get an obvious blatant error corrected -- willingly. I must say though Rob, it sounds like the stonewalling on a correction may be as much the dealer as the manufacturer.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
robfogle

Well I was in the Dealer today and there was a GS sales rep there. The dealer invited into the meeting to talk to her about my purchase and thoughts on the Endura. My first question was "Does GS put a B/W rear view camera on the Endura". Her response was "Yes". I then asked why they do this and put a color monitor in the cab. She said she did not know, but would check into it. Since the Endura is one of their top of the line class C coaches, In my opinion, it is like putting a top of the line stereo system and using cheap speakers. Very disappointing.

I also discussed the way the factory connected the bedroom speakers to the Cab Radio and not being able to fade them or turn them down as they were connected to the front door speakers. She thought that the factory had just hooked the speakers to the wrong wires. I explained to her that the rear speaker wires are under the dash and not in the door kick panels. I also explained that this was not a one time occurrence and there were numerous other Endura owners not happy with this issue. She was curious how I knew about the other owners. I just said "The Internet". She then told me she would check into the issue.

She also discussed the Gold Program and was glad to know that I had already received the letter notifying us that we were part of the program. I asked her about changes at GS as I had received a second letter notifying about a change in Gold Program Reps. She told me that they were making changes to improve quality and customer satisfaction.

We also talked about some of the other minor issues that we had. Which she didn't seem to surprised at. I do realize that you will have issues with just about any new product that you buy that is as complex as most RV's are. To me the real issue is how well the manufacture and dealer choose to handle those issues.

All in all it was a good conversation with someone from GS. Hopefully she will take some of the feedback that I gave her back and it will be used to make positive changes.

Although I am still miffed about the backup camera!

SE Wisconsin

1998 Bryant 196 Limited
Old 05-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
earljan34

Rob, We can only hope that they follow up and not just forget about things hoping that you will not pursue the issue but this has been there stand in the past! I wish you all the luck in getting your unit repaired to your satisfaction.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
robfogle

Don't get me wrong everything has been taken care of in a timely and expert manner. I'm very pleased with the warranty service so far.

As far as the backup camera goes I would even be willing to pay for the difference in cost between the B/W camera and the Color camera. It is one of those things that I didn't find out about until it was sitting in the driveway and I was learning about the motorhome and discover that the monitor was a color unit. Then taking a closer look at their Endura brochure and seeing a color image on the monitor in the pictures of the cab. It just seem to me that it was a very poor way to cut costs on their premium Class C when they are touting it as a Class C with the features of a Class A.

SE Wisconsin

1998 Bryant 196 Limited
Old 05-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
RJ82much

I'm impressed that you were actually allowed access to the factory rep.

Congratulations on using the opportunity wisely & asking the burning questions.

The camera subject/answer is of course dissappointing. Her interest in your source of information is really good to know, as well as the pledge for quality & customer relations improvement.

Change doesn't come overnight, but they do continue to talk about it. I'm guessing there is likely a corporate effort underway.

Great - hope you do somehow get your color camera. B&W really sucks.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
peterjac177

Default service

So who is the service manager now?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default Good Reading

I'm having a few things done. Going pretty good so far. After reading you all, I'm feeling pretty good everything going to turn out GOOD. Thanks for the help in the GOOD READING. Bob
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:57 AM   #13
tuff1

Just remember factory sales reps are there to sell..... not help...
As for customer service and help... It doesn't matter what company... they all are guided by thier management and what the are allowed to authorize....The turn over, of employees, at GS sometimes, this the turnover, is not letting go of employees as they would like you to think, but frustration of good folks not able to help, so they quit, but due to management or business decisions.
tuff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
gsadmin

That's funny..."how did you hear about other owners"..."the internet"

hehehe

I find it super funny that every person in a sales or service oriented position at GS would not know of this site by now.

I am so glad I did this in the first place...I am so happy to see owners helping other owners and dispelling the ownership-fog and isolation that occured just a few years back.

Kudos to our GSowners.com family!
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote