Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
arcticman

Default Hart City Rv Elkhart IN Buyers Beware

I month ago I purchased a 2007 26RSL Innbrucks, We were told at the orientation that the unit was ready to go. The first night out I burnt up the electric hot water heater elment because the water was not turned on to the heater. Took two weeks and a visit back to the dealership to get a new element. It was supposed to have been shipped to my house. I bought this unit to live in while working out of town. I am only home on the weekends.

There are serval other items that are not up to the standard that I would expect from a reputable manufacture. I have been in contact with Hart City on several occasions and refered to the owner, Who so far has only given me the run around. The unit is currently set up 200 miles from the dealership. Wants me to haul back so they can work on it. He has made no offer to pay for gas or to put me up in a motel while the unit is not at my disposal.

Reading some of the other post I am not very optimistic that a solution will be reached anytime soon. My wife and I thought that buying this unit would make life on the road easier. After 2 years in motels I wanted something that would be more like home. So far it has been unpleasureable to say the least.

Any suggestions on how to get this resolved would be greatly appreciated.
arcticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
RJ82much

Hi Articman,

Welcome. I'm sorry to hear that your initial experience is not good. Unfortunately, what you're experiencing seems to be the norm in the industry. That doesn't make it right & I wish I knew what it is a symptom of.

I have warned new owners about these "quickie" PDIs (orientation). I learned the hard way also. The dealership wants to rush you off the lot as fast as possible. They have your money, now "git outta' here!" The employee who showed me how to operate my equipment didn't know what that switch with the red light was for. Later, I found out not to ever turn it on unless you KNOW there is water in the hot water tank.... Of course, he also didn't know there was a circuit breaker in the external control / gas chamber to prevent burn-outs. Mine was turned off - yours apparently was turned on. sigh.

Too late for you (& me) but a new new owner should arrive early in the day for delivery. He should make the tech operate EVERY function inside & outside, followed by the new owner performing the same operation. Example, when I got home, I thought the sofa bed was broke. NOWHERE was the hidden release latch ever mentioned. I never figured I would have to be shown how to open a fold-out bed, let alone do it myself in a training program.

I also understand your frustration over the 200 mile trip & the expenses associated. I don't have a solution, and I had to make way too many 200 mile round trips for the same reason with the same cold attitude. I learned to tow my car because they would discover after I arrived, they had the wrong part, the mechanic didn't show up, they didn't get factory authorization, etc. "You'll have to come back next week." At least with your car, you can leave your unit at the shop. My unit spent more time in the dealers lot than it did at my house during the first year.

Notice that most of your issues are with the independant dealer, not the manufacturer. I'm not holding them blameless, but your shoddy, uncaring, unconcerned treatment is from the dealership (as was mine).

Now comes the black-eye part on the manufacturer. At the factory, they have & you can see it in action on the tour, a fully functioning QC program, with all sorts of tests & checkouts. It mystifies most of us how so many defects get out the door. It also mystifies me why the dealership waits for you to tell them that something is wrong rather than correcting it before you get there.

You would like to contact the factory when things aren't going so well? Some members have had excellent experiences obtaining human contact. Some, like myself, have horror stories. Mine turned out excellent however, because I initially "tricked" a vice president into talking to me... After that, I was treated like a king & did get superb repairs & treatment right at the factory. I think it is more the norm that your phone calls & email messages will go unacknowledged/unanswered. Contact me via PM if the need arises to find out ways to "get inside".

And the big complaint (which is improving every day) is the lack of any meaningfull documentation on your coach. You certainly got the big pouch of component manufacturers literature. The Gulf Stream manual was pathetic however. Twenty pages of warning/caution protect-their-butt & 4 pages of real instruction, most of which was gibberish. No diagrams, routing, or parts list. Not even the paint codes! As I say, that is really improving. Gulfstream is making great strides in this area.

Sorry that I went on & on. This subject is the single biggest reason this forum came into existence. Thanks for your ear. Keep us informed of your successes (& not-so successes)

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
arcticman

Bob, Some of the problems with the unit inculde veneer pealing, chip in the counter top, sub-struture for the dinette looks like it was pick out of the scrap pile. It was not pre-drilled and has several splits in the wood.
It is not square and has staples showing in the one corner. There is saw- dust and metals chips behind the drawers where the hot water heater sits.
These wash out with the water that is leaking.

I would appreciate very much any contact numbers that you could pass along. I onyl have e-mail access at work,before or after each day.

Thank You for your response.
Jim
arcticman is offline   Reply With Quote