Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
03heritagerider

Default Broken Wiper Arm - Help!

I broke the retainer that holds the spring in the wiper arm (passenger side). The spring holds the wiper tight against the glass. I want to replace the entire arm but can't get it off.

A bolt comes through the front cap and is held in place by a nut covered by a rubber boot. The bolt extends through base of the wiper arm and the arm (I think) is held in place by another nut.

I removed the outer nut but the arm will not come off the bolt. I've been spraying the exposed threads with PB Blaster and tapping the arm with a hammer, but it won't budge. I'm afraid to apply too much pressure or twist too hard.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something? Should I keep spraying and tapping on it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiper.JPG (15.1 KB, 1028 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Luckiest Dreamer

Default Re: Broken Wiper Arm - Help!

This is a response that comes directly from viewing the picture in your post rather than one from experience. I have a small puller that is designed to remove cable ends from battery posts that is similar in size to the wiper arm. It looks as though you could aquire one of those and remove the arm. It should work if the arm is only press fitted or corroaded on and there are no clips , etc holding it in place. I believe that I would go to the auto parts store and look for a replacement before I try it. You can use the new one to help in deteriming what needs to be done. Driving the MH to the parts store will help as well. I have found that most of the employees at the stores will come to the parking lot and view the problem and give them some direction in finding the replacement.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
RayChez1

You have a pin at the base that you have to punch out. That pin is what holds the wiper assembly from coming off the spline shaft. The shaft has a slot and the pin has to be removed in order to slide it out.
I just looked at mine and it is different from the picture you are displaying. Mine dose not have the hose attached like yours. You might have a problem finding a wiper with an attachment like that.
But I do have the pin that I was referring to, and I believe I can see a pin or bolt sticking up on the top of the picture.
Good luck!
Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
03heritagerider

Thanks guys,

I used the puller like Lucky suggested and it came off.

No auto parts stores have it. I contacted Gulfstream and they referred me to Rome Truck Parts, Rome Georgia. I sent them a photo of the arm and they identified it as a Trico arm and they have to order one for me. $45.00 plus shipping.

Ray,

The pin you see is actually a nub. There is one on top and one on the bottom and it is where the plastic nut cover clips onto.

I was able to make a temporary retainer clip and spring until the new one gets here.

Thanks again.