Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
jamesg

Default Domestic RML8555 Refer- Poor Design

My Visa (now renamed Vista) TT has a Dometic RML8555 refrigerator. It is out of warranty at this point. It truly has never cooled well, especially over 80F. It frosts so quickly that we must defrost every few (4-5) days. Last defrost it just quit. In 45 yrs of RV'ing I never had a refer issue. Dometic knows this is a bad design since they dropped it. I found blogs where other manufacturers, notably Escape, went after Dometic and are now asking their owners to contact them and they can get a replacement model from Dometic (all-new design) for the cost of the r&r to the owner for poor performance alone, much less quit, regardless of warranty status!

All I got from my dealer and Gulfstream is "sorry out of warranty" even though I provided copies of the other blogs and forums.

Domestic shunts me off to their 'factory authorized' repair site and so far none of the 4 I contacted will give me an appointment. Yes,I have been calm, polite and friendly through all this. Guess future purchases will be well vetted and made with people who care. Also guess I have a Norcold in my future.
jamesg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Frosting quickly implies that you are either leaving OPEN liquids in the frig, OR that the door gasket is not sealing? Check your practices, and try the dollar bbill test on the gasket?
THenne1713 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
BillyRains

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesg View Post
My Visa (now renamed Vista) TT has a Dometic RML8555 refrigerator. It is out of warranty at this point. It truly has never cooled well, especially over 80F. It frosts so quickly that we must defrost every few (4-5) days. Last defrost it just quit. In 45 yrs of RV'ing I never had a refer issue. Dometic knows this is a bad design since they dropped it. I found blogs where other manufacturers, notably Escape, went after Dometic and are now asking their owners to contact them and they can get a replacement model from Dometic (all-new design) for the cost of the r&r to the owner for poor performance alone, much less quit, regardless of warranty status!

All I got from my dealer and Gulfstream is "sorry out of warranty" even though I provided copies of the other blogs and forums.

Domestic shunts me off to their 'factory authorized' repair site and so far none of the 4 I contacted will give me an appointment. Yes,I have been calm, polite and friendly through all this. Guess future purchases will be well vetted and made with people who care. Also guess I have a Norcold in my future.
Had the same problem except it was the thermistor that tells the fridge when to cycle on and off. Took it to two Dometic service centers and neither could fix the fridge in two months. Got lucky and got to pay $1500 for a new fridge. Will be trying it out this coming weekend. The front panel design is different but I don't know if it's the same electronics underneath. Mine is a RM8555R. The R or L telling which side the door hinge is on.
BillyRains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #4
McKannick

DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE MANUAL Dometic
AMERICANA & AMERICANA PLUS
http://www.nancyemmert.com/region6/R...atorManual.pdf
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
exjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKannick View Post
DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE MANUAL Dometic
AMERICANA & AMERICANA PLUS
http://www.nancyemmert.com/region6/R...atorManual.pdf

Thats a good save for future troubleshooting, thanks.