Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Jim_PEI

Default Cockpit Electric Issues

I have no problem starting my front end diesel class A motorhome, but quite often I cannot get power to my electric jacks, wipers, vent air, electric mirrors. Problem began very intermittently seven months ago but more often now. Original solution was to turn key half way, turn on wipers, and then motor - and all would be fine. Now I may need to try this a few times, does not always work. Recently it kicked in while driving, wipers began working. I have very limited knowledge on this stuff. Sounds like a connection, as there are about five things that do not work. Neighbour suggested fuses, but how could they all be bad at one time and then work? Suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Jim_PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Frutza

Sounds to me like you've narrowed it down to the ignition switch, Is this on a ford chassis? Dash mounted or column?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #3
Jim_PEI

Default Solution Found

My motorhome is on a Freightliner chassis. While getting something else looked at today, and not being able to locate the reason for my problem, I took it to a Freightliner dealer in Ottawa, Canada. When I told him the problem was intermittent, and everything was working today, he turned on all the effected loads and monitored the electrical system. He used a thermal camera and found one high amp solenoid was rather hot. After a period of time, the systems in question failed. That solenoid was very hot. After it cooled down, he tapped it and the systems came on again. He replaced the solenoid and tested everything. Hope that is the end of this problem.
Jim_PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
Restorium

Had the same problem and it turned out to be the solenoid relay that allows power to the 12 volt fuse box for the dash power. Sounds like that's what your tech found.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
Restorium

Here's a link to the thread I started with a similar problem;
http://www.gsowners.com/forums/showt...5010#post25010
Old 06-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Jim_PEI

Thanks Restorium. Wish I seen this earlier. Not knowing what my problem was, would not have known what to search for.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
Restorium

You're welcome. The best thing is we are both up and running PLUS we are helping others. We are working towards making this a quick and easy fix.