Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #1
DCSA67

Default De-Winterizing

Hello: My husband passed away in Dec 2017. Since we bought the unit in 2004 he has pretty much always taken care of the outside items on our RV and I have just done the basic items inside the RV. So since his passing, I have pretty much kept my 2004 Gulfstream Sun Voyager in storage mode until now.

On my own for the Water Heater Maintenance (thru YouTube) I was able to change the Anode, Replace Electric Element and the Propane Pipe. I figured out I thought all the valves for Sewer Gray & Black. So now I proceeded to hook up water hose and I remembered he said when winterizing he opened all valves and opened pipes.

I have closes all hot & cold water valves inside and for outside shower. Then I went to each side and reconnected one pipe to the water pump then the other side I reconnected I believe a total of 4 pipes near the water heater. I also remembered he said when de-winterizing to fill tank and use water pump because I will hear if any leaks because water pump will continue to run. So I am connected to public but at this point just trying to fill the main water tank first.

I turned on the water hose and noticed the main tank was not filling and I see the pink in some of the water lines but not all. I then heard water pouring out but I wasn't sure why. I noticed on the hot water tank side the water is not even flowing into water tank nor even going into main tank but its pouring out of what I think are water over flow plugs, located in the floor area. (I have taken pictures if I can figure out how to post here.)

No matter which valve I move to different positions I can not get the water to flow through all of the pipes to fill the tank. Then I read on another forum that their may be a water distribution valve panel and there may be a by-pass mode....

I have looked everywhere, mind you this is the first time I am maintaining my unit on my own. It may be in an obvious location and I have overlooked or that forum may not have advised me for my specific unit.

Does anyone know where this may be? Or if we don't have one. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and which valve will stop this from occurring? I thought I tried every valve but at this point 2 weeks into project with no one to advise me, I figured I start here on a real Gulfstream forum. Thank you in advance for your insight & knowledge.
DCSA67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
eddard

I don't know if this will help or not, but the fresh water holding tank is normally filled using a separate opening on the outside of the unit. In other words, hooking up to "city water" won't fill the holding tank. However, hooking up "city water" will pressurize the system, and if any drains are open, water will flow out of that opening.

Since I don't know what method your husband used, I can only tell you that he probably drained the water heater or bypassed it. If he drained it, it takes quite a while to refill it, and it will only fill if a valve is opened in the hot water lines. It's basically air locked until a hot valve (somewhere) is opened.
eddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:56 PM   #3
DCSA67

Our unit is pretty simply. I have one hose attachment in the middle area of the compartment to backflush to clean grey & black tanks. Then to the left in that same compartment I have another hose attachment which is used to both fill the tank and / or use public water.

But now that I wrote that I realize, David use to switch a valve near that location so once he filled tank, he flipped valve & it went to public mode... Ok so that makes sense so now I have to figure out which valve that is...

Also to understand you, I believe you’re stating I have to leave hot water valves in unit open while I’m filling tank first time because now I have to wait for hot water tank to fill first. I did turn that hot water tank by-pass valve to normal. But you’re saying if the hot water valve wasn’t open inside it wouldn’t de-pressurize to fill tank. I did notice nothing went into hot water tank & thats probably why it didn’t.

I still can’t figure out why the water keeps going to overflow valves though, I feel like I’m missing a step somewhere.

But all the info you gave me is greatly appreciated. I will head to unit in the morning to try again with your advise. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
DCSA67

Thank you, I have now dewinterize my unit.... The water line is connected & has a valve to switch to fill tank & then over to public. I figured that out. I have to add some labels because letters are wearing off.

The second part of my problem was the water being diverted to the over flow openings. I figured out that All 3 openings have what looks like tiny “T” plugs that go into them. Once they were plugged water flowed freely thru all pipes & I filled hot water tank & ran faucets until pink cleared from lines.

Thank you for helping me. I truly appreciate it. Best always Dawn
Old 06-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
eddard

Glad you figured it out. Obviously your unit is more sophisticated than the ones I have worked on.

Everyone has their own methods for winterizing, but when you winterize next time, you may want to consider using compressed air to blow out the lines. This avoids the use of RV anti-freeze, except a small amount for each P trap. RV anti-freeze gets really stinky during storage.

When I winterize my MH, I remove the water heater drain plug (which is also the anode) and drain the tank, then replace the drain. I then hook my compressor to the "city water" inlet and blow everything out....thoroughly! I leave all the drains open and put the RV antifreeze in the drain traps. For mine it takes 1 gallon to do all of them. While I have a water heater bypass, I never move it. My method removes all water, and I've never had a failure or leak...and I live in Montana where is gets to minus 30. The only downside to this method is that it requires an air compressor regulated to 30 PSI.
eddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #6
Sudsy

Default Just ask and I will try to help

I think my coach is exactly like yours. If you run into anything just ask. I will try to help. Also if you want to send me a PM I will give you my cell number. Where are you BTW.

Sudsy