Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-25-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
BTShoppers

Cool Replace Rear Bed with Jack-knife sofa

We are shopping BT Cruiser models.

The 5210 with 2 jack-knife sofas looks great.
The 5230 with 2 jack-knife sofas looks even better.
The 5245, with the much longer "full slide-out" could be the best option for us.

We've read about numerous problems with the rear bed/mattress in the 5245. My question is, can the rear bed/mattress simply be replaced with either a jack-knife sofa -- or something like Theatre Seats with a Murphy Bed behind it.

Although the larger slide-out creates much more room over-all, the Queen Sized bed in the back seems to be more of a problem than a solution, for our purposes. We would love to have a sofa or seats in the back, with an additional TV back there.
BTShoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:03 AM   #2
Tribewinds

For the 5245, the tanks and water pump lay under the queen bed. It is raised so you can't really replace the bed with a sofa or seating that I can imagine. I wish I could have storage under the bed, but that's no possible either.

There is a company that makes custom RV mattresses that can make a better quality mattress than the one that comes with the 5245. It is custom so costs a bit, around $645 at last inquiry. The reason is that it is cut on an angle, so the 2 halves can slide together when the slideout is closed.
Tribewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:43 AM   #3
evh5150

Do yourself a favor and physically try out the jacknife sofa in the in the bed position before you buy.
We have a 2021 BT 5210 and that version of the jacknife sofa is comfortable in the sofa position but not so much in the bed position. The seat and back are of 2 different densities and the gap between the back and seat when laid flat is quite large.
Somewhat short in length too if you are 6' or taller.
Hopefully for 2022 they upgraded the sofa.
I built retractable versions that solved all those issues so a solution is possible. Other than that we are quite satisfied with our rig.
Hope this helps!
evh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5245, jack-knife, mattress, murphy bed