Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
Mlgriffin56

Default Vintage Cruiser Range top cover

I have a question on the glass range cover on a Greystone range in a 2020 Vintage Cruiser 19ERD. The flimsy hinges bent the first time we tried to fold it up and I want to take it off the range completely to replace it with a lift off cover. There are no instructions in the manual and my dealer has no clue. Anyone removed one of these before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1889.jpg (175.8 KB, 8 views)
Mlgriffin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlgriffin56 View Post
I have a question on the glass range cover on a Greystone range in a 2020 Vintage Cruiser 19ERD. The flimsy hinges bent the first time we tried to fold it up and I want to take it off the range completely to replace it with a lift off cover. There are no instructions in the manual and my dealer has no clue. Anyone removed one of these before?

That's a common problem. Now that you understand how the hinges work to both allow both positions. Straighten out the hinges with a pair of pliers and be careful. I had the same experience with my first camper.

Sudsy
Old 06-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Mlgriffin56

Thanks for that but that wasn't really my question. I don't want to keep the flimsy glass cover so if anyone knows how to remove it I would appreciate some thoughts.
Mlgriffin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
Sudsy

That flimsy glass cover also serves as a heat shield for the wall behind the cooktop.

Sudsy
Old 06-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Nelsonnomads

I’d just drill out the rivet that serves as the hinge pin. Don’t drill the head, drill out the bucked end.
Nelsonnomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #6
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlgriffin56 View Post
Thanks for that but that wasn't really my question. I don't want to keep the flimsy glass cover so if anyone knows how to remove it I would appreciate some thoughts.
The main hinges have hooks on them that hook into pins on the range. Once in a while our stainless steel cover comes unhooked. Push down on the back and they should unhook. You could replace that cheap one with a stainless one.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #7
deplorablemike

I know this is long after,but it might help someone else with the same problem.Our first trip the cover lost a hinge screw because the cover bounces around alot when underway. We found the screw, fixed it,and put a potholder under the glass when traveling.It gives enough "cushion" that things stay together.
deplorablemike is offline   Reply With Quote