Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
lsweim

Default SuperNova Generator Upgrade, Skycap, Arctic Pkg

I will be buying a SN (either the 6400 or 6372) soon and am debating on the generator upgrade from a 6.0 to a 8.0, but have noticed it's not a popular option.. any opinions?
Also, does anyone have a 2009 with the skycap option and how do you like it?
I am waiting for Gulf Stream to provide me specs on the arctic pkg as there is nothing posted on their site.. any info you could share would be appreciated.
TIA,
Linda
lsweim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #2
Texas TC

I have the 2008 34' SuperNova. I looked at the 2009 this morning at the dealer close to my house. There are several changes in the new models over my year old unit. The sky cap is quite nice. It has a cover that can be snapped into place to keep the heat out. With the sky cap comes a nice overhead bunk area with fiberglass surround. The unit I saw had the 8000 Onan and neither I nor the my salesman could figure out why you would need it. My 6000 Onan runs both a/c units, fridge, both TV's and microwave all at once so I do not know the benefit of the 8000.

The things I did not like about the newer models where (1) the monitor and slide controls have been moved from near the bath to over the pedestrian door. I frankly like the old location better because I can see both slides being opened and closed from that position. The new position does not allow view of the bedroom slide operation. (2) the old TV's were completely enclosed in a maple wood frame. The new models have the swivel along with the inverter and cables and wiring exposed and frankly look like they were just not finished out. (3) although I like the new 12 gallon water heater, I do not like the fact that it takes most of one full storage cabinet which reduces your overall outside storage capacity.

I do like the new upgraded dash inserts. The built in dirt devil vacuum is a nice touch. The fantastic fan had a control knob on the wall rather than having to reach up to the fan to control the speed and direction. The one I looked at had wood panel door on the fridge and it looked like it was a nice option.

I have the arctic package on my unit. I do not know the cost cause it came with the package I bought. The double pane windows are nice and I guess the heated holding tanks are good but we have not used the coach in cold weather so I cannot attest to the usefulness of the package.

I have over 17000 miles on my coach and am very happy with it. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post or send me a pm.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
lsweim

Thanks for all the info! I do have a couple more questions... Is the skycap cover soft or hard fiberglass and does it let in lots of light for the whole kitchen and living rm area?
The 2008 models I looked at must be late year, because most of what you mentioned (central vac, controls over the door, etc..) are like what you described in the 09.
Still waiting for my rep or GS to give me a breakdown on the arctic pkg.

Thanks again,

Linda
Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Texas TC

The model I saw had the soft cover attached to the skylight and I did not see it removed. I have not been in one with the cover removed so I cannot attest to the amount of light that will come into the kitchen area. I don't think I would want the skylight because that area of the front of the coach is very difficult to clean. With the closed off cap you don't see the bugs and road grime as bad. With the skycap, you would see it whenever the cover was removed. Being in Texas, I would also be concerned with the amount of heat generated from the skycap. Just my opinion. Our coach has plenty of light in the living room kitchen area with the small fan skylight and the day/night shades. I had an overhead window in my last C class and quite frankly I kept the shades pulled on it all the time. I hope this helps.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
lsweim

You have, thanks. In theory the skycap sounded really cool... practicality says otherwise. Just saved me some $$
Linda
Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
loderfamily

Send a message via MSN to loderfamily

Love the skycap option.
Gives lots of light to the coach and especially the forward kitchen/table area.
Drawback?: heat.

There are no a/c vents in the cap/bunk area. With the soft cover off...the heat is pretty intense. Not bad with the cover on...

We put a small 12v fan in the bunk area and the kids do fine...

Wouldn't go without the option...it is wonderful to have the light and the view.
loderfamily is offline   Reply With Quote