Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #1
Nanaeve

Default Waterleak on the Cabover

As we are preparing to move to AZ in 10 days I went to get the Fridge recall done on our 09 Endura 6341 on IH. While moving the unit it started to rain inside. Seems while sitting it developed a leak in the Cab-over seam line as the overcab bunk area was soaked and coming into the headliner area. At Camping World we were told that seam sealing is considered routine maintance and not a warrany issue. Where is one to look to find this info as it isn't included in the "Owners Manual" for what that is worth.
I checked the seams when last on the roof and could not see any visable problems. What has bee your experiences and where should I keep an eye on? Thanks, Steve
Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Georunner

Default Re: Waterleak on the Cabover

This seam is indeed routine maintenance. I believe TexasTC has his unit pressure tested each year to make sure they don't leak. The self leveling caulk can leak without looking completely bad. I used Eterna Bond Tape on my seams. I did a lousy job on the cab over seam, and it looks bad, but will not leak. I should not have to redo them for many years. If you use caulk, it will have to be redone every few years. The cab over seam may be the first one to fail, but the one across the back won't be long behind it, and the side seams as well. I would renew them all at the same time.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Texas TC

Yep, annual maintenance item. In fact, I was in Mc Clain's RV last month and told them I would be in for my Seal-Tech test and any sealant failure replacement in April or May. I get it done every year about the same time. I also change the generator oil and get the Texas state inspection on the same maintenance visit. The bill is usually around $300.00 for all those services. Since I started this regime, I have not had any leaks in my coach, anywhere.

TxTC

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
JimBob

I have long claimed to be the Nova Champion of leaks on the forum I have or rather had a leak as you described for two years. Several repair attempts were made, both out in the field, and in two trips to Nappanee. Finally, last year, the coach was taken to General RV in Orange Park Florida, where they slathered on about 4 inches of eternabond to seal the thing shut. That seems to have solved the problem. I follow Texas TC's advice and have a Seal Test done in the spring before we hit the road. I'll see if I can find the photos of the repair- it wasn't pretty, but it was effective. I also had several seal leaks in the slide out, plus leaks in the kitchen plumbing that were fixed within a week of purchase.... we've also had a pretty fair sized leak where the fittings became loose underneath the wardrobe in the bedroom- discovered that one with wet carpet... that is something we look at about once a month.. also had leaks around the fan unit at the entrance- that was done by technician who stepped on the fan housing and broke it when they were sealing the roof...... the last leak we had was into the control panels for the jacks, due to the factory silicone seal failing and the control panels got soaked, and the jacks weren't working properly- clue there was the rust spots on the carpeting in the storage bay- also we've had to readjust the gaskets in all of the cargo bays, due to leaks there.

Hoping our issues are behind us, we know about the year window for shaking all the bugs out of a coach, just had to have a little more patience with this one- still love the coach!

JimBob in St Augustine..

08 Super Nova/Malibu Toad
Leaving April 21st for the Far West- $5.00 a gallon be damned....
http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
cd6400

Any advice on stopping leaks in the outside storage compartments? In particular, the compartment just in front of the door seems to leak even when simply washing the coach and unfortunately is where I store my outside stereo and television. I've tried to adjust the doors and even added silicone to the seals where it appeared a leak could occur.

I've also had a leak in cab which resulted in soaked padding under the rubber floor covering. Failure to find that one would have easily resulted in mold/mildew and possibly rusted floor pans. Still experimenting to see if I've got that one fixed. I believe the source for that one was the flexible rubber hose that serves as conduit for the wiring that goes to the doors not being fully seated at the door jamb.
cd6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Texas TC

The cabinet I had leak was behind the passenger door and in front of the house door. I changed the rubber seal and adjusted the door. I also had some blown on insulating material that was diverting water directly on to the seal area. I removed that excess material. This combination of repairs has kept mine from having any additional leaks. That is the only cabinet that I have ever had that leaked. I hope it stays that way.

Good luck,

TxTC

Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
JimBob

C&D:

I was originally told that I would probably have to replace all the gaskets in the outside storage bays.

When I picked the coach up, I was told that the gaskets were "adjusted" and that now they were "airtight" , as opposed to being replaced.

That being said, we haven't had the Nova on the road yet- we have fingers crossed.

Jim Bob in St Augustine

http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
cd6400

Thanks TC and JimBob,
From what I can tell the seals themselves are not adjustable; only the doors. That being said, I'm sure I could adjust the doors such that they really compress the seal but my trial with that resulted in having to really lean on the door to get it closed/latched and it results in the door not being aligned with the wall of the coach. When adjusted to appear aligned with the coach wall, I verified seal to door contact by a film of silicon lube on the seal and witnessing the transfer to the door when closed but still experience leakage when washing the coach. While washing I'm careful not to spray directly on the door edges but cant avoid the runoff down the sides.
cd6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Texas TC

Dropped off my coach at Mc Clain's RV today for my annual Seal-Tech test. Service manager called and said it was complete, they are making necessary repairs and it will be ready tomorrow afternoon. This process really gives me peace of mind. There is nothing worse than to be on a trip, have a torrential rainstorm and find wet places inside the RV that should never see water. This happened to me once during the first year of ownership and I have been dedicated to the Seal-Tech preventive maintenance process ever since.

Now that I have completed this spring process, replaced the windshield and added new RoadKing front shocks, I am good to go for another 2500 miles. That is when the next oil change is required and then I am good until next year.

I am glad to get this out of the way and ready for the summer season.