Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
Ultra Supreme

Default Odour from under fridge

I have an 04 Ultra Supreme and I have an odour coming from under the fridge. The freezer is working but the fridge is not. This is while it is running on gas. Any ideas? We were out for a drive to top up the propane and we could smell something while we were driving. At first we thought it was a from the sewer but when we smelt the toilet there was no odour but the odour was coming from the the cupboard below the fridge.

38 ft. 2004 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme
Ultra Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Odour from under fridge

It might be something in the bottom compartments and the smell is just coming from the opening under the frig. I believe the furnace is right under the frig. I would check the bottom compartments for something that might have spoiled or maybe a mouse got into your coach and died.
Other problems could be a leak on your black tank connections.
I had a smell like that on my coach a couple of years back and I had a hard time finding out what it was, so I bought some commercial janitorial disinfecting stuff and sprayed all the compartments where the tanks are located. I also took my barbie grill out and washed real good, vacuumed all the compartments and sprayed the disinfecting stuff all over. Smell went away.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
Ultra Supreme

Thanks for the info but it turns out the smell was from the coach batteries. When we parked the motor home after our last trip we didn't plug it in but we had left the fridge on running on gas of course. Now we have had a busy summer and have not been out with the rig for 6 weeks so even though the fridge is on gas it still needs the batteries to run the fan. Also we have a tip out that wanders out once in a while and my wife would go in and push the button to bring it back in. So the smell was coming from the batteries getting killed. We have since plugged it in and tried the fridge again 48 hours later and everything is good plus no smell. Hopefully the batteries didn't get damaged too bad as they were new this spring. Time will tell.

2004 38 ft. Gulfstream Ultra Supreme
Ultra Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
RayChez1

Yep! the batteries will give out a bad smell according to what I have read on another forum. I have never had that problem with the batteries that I know off but maybe that was the smell I was getting also and here I went and sanitized all the compartments.

You can check your house batteries with a hydrometer. Just check every cell and it will tell you if you damaged any of the cells.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote