Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
charby

Default Visa Tires - Radial and Bias together

Purchased a new Visa 19 in September and noticed clear coat coming off rim. Gulfstream supplied dealer with new rim and tire.
Here comes my concern, the tire they supplied is different than original equipment. Not sure who makes the original tires, but look like a radial type, and Visa has this in their specs. The one supplied under warranty installed on new rim is a Trail America, and looks like a bias ply. I looked it up and is a bias ply. Why would they mix my tires? Is this a concern as I just had this resolved this week. It was getting dark at time of pick-up and noticed at home.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
toaobigal

Default Re: Visa Tires - Radial and Bias together

My Visa came with bias ply. Both tire should be the same (either radial or bias ply) because they behave differently. I prefer radial tires, they handle better and they run cooler than bias ply. I guess that you're going to have to call your dealer ...
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
charby

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaobigal
My Visa came with bias ply. Both tire should be the same (either radial or bias ply) because they behave differently. I prefer radial tires, they handle better and they run cooler than bias ply. I guess that you're going to have to call your dealer ...
What kind did you Visa come with? I had VIVD I think thats what it appears. The new one is a Trail America. I would guess they are both cheap tires with limited range before replacing. The treads of the America do not look as good. The Visa specs say they come with Radials, is this not true.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
toaobigal

My tires are Trail America and you're right: they're cheap! One of them was underinflated and within 200 miles all the tread on the outside edges was gone. I take the blame on this one because I didn't check the air pressure. I'll try to post a picture of the tire. My visa brochure says that they come with bias ply tires. Since I didn't want to buy a new tire right away, I took the tire from the spare and mounted it on the alloy wheel and mounted the worn one on the the spare rim. Next season, we're camping at a seasonal site, so I won't buy radials just yet. If we go on a long trip for vacation, then I'll get radials.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu

Mine came with cheap bias ply tires that lasted less than 5000 miles I replaced them with radials and went one tire size larger. That gives me an extra 10mm of width on both sides and a 1/2 inch more diameter. So far so good
Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
tinapetel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMitsu
Mine came with cheap bias ply tires that lasted less than 5000 miles I replaced them with radials and went one tire size larger. That gives me an extra 10mm of width on both sides and a 1/2 inch more diameter. So far so good
What brand and size of tire did you buy?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
charby

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaobigal
The Visa did come equipted with Bias tires after all. I had thought there was mention of radials somewhere. The dealer did some research, and based on both being the same type, everything is good to go.
There are now a diferent brand and tread, but same size.
Drive on I guess, and never think of tires for 4-5 years...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu

We went with the GoodYear 215 75R14 (factory were 205) Goodyears had a C load rating which was better than other tires I found in this size
Old 12-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
leonmacha

Default Re: Visa Tires - Watch for uneven wear

Watch your VISA tires for uneven wear. After only 3000 miles mine were both totally worn out on inside edge. I would not have noticed except I was under trailer looking for another problem. The Lippert Components axle was fabricated out of alignment. Gulf Stream supplied new tires and Lippert provided new axle with no problem. There should be a safety recall on this problem. They both know. Another 500 miles and I would have had a blowout. A bad outcome for sure. I doubt that either company will issue a recall.

I am now out of warranty and I wont find out if the new axle is built right until it is too late.
The trailer came with radials and the replacements were radials.
Local boat trailer owners swear that bias is better. ??????? Who knows?
leonmacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #10
charby

Default Re: Visa Tires - Watch for uneven wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmacha
Watch your VISA tires for uneven wear. After only 3000 miles mine were both totally worn out on inside edge. I would not have noticed except I was under trailer looking for another problem. The Lippert Components axle was fabricated out of alignment. Gulf Stream supplied new tires and Lippert provided new axle with no problem. There should be a safety recall on this problem. They both know. Another 500 miles and I would have had a blowout. A bad outcome for sure. I doubt that either company will issue a recall.

I am now out of warranty and I wont find out if the new axle is built right until it is too late.
The trailer came with radials and the replacements were radials.
Local boat trailer owners swear that bias is better. ??????? Who knows?
What model of Visa has the axle issue, 19 or 23?
Is the axle covered under the one year or 2 year structural warranty.

Your right on being to late before it is noticed for company support.
I am not sure trailers are government monitored for safety issues like autos.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
leonmacha

Tire wear on 19ERD. Single axle. Likely on other 19 ft models. Mine was relatively early in the production runs of the new model. No way to tell how long Lippert produced defective axles.
leonmacha is offline   Reply With Quote