Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
davidki

Default 1998 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme Info

I"m new to the board and hope this is the place I should post this.. if not I appologize for that...

I am looking at a 1998 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme that is for sale near me it's I think a 30' unit. I am having one heck of a time getting any information at all on the unit, owners manual, ( Gulfstream has only from 2002 on their Website) Brochure or other specifications and or product information. The unit is a Non Slide model (which is fine for us for weekend jaunts locally) but it concerns me I can't find any information on these units.. The Gulfstream website says they no longer have "Motorhomes" and there really isn't much information at all other than an email address to ask questions. I contacted the sales team at Gulfstream and the guy basically said all the info if any is in the archives and he would have to look them up... (that scares the heck out of me)...

One thing I did find is that the chassis is a 14,000 lb with a max 17,500 lb but nowhere does it show the base weight so how do you find what the weight is other than putting it on a scale..

The unit looks good but the absence of information and any discussions on them on the internet seems odd... heck, I can look up about any Fleetwood product or other manufactures for years back.. but I am finding nothing on this.. the model is a W6301R.

I'd like to here from others that may have a similar unit that were produced prior to 2000 and things to look for... and am I taking a big chance at purchasing this unit? Anyone know where any archives on this unit might be?

Thanks in advance on any info you can give me..
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
sheila

Default Re: 1998 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme Info

Hello David.
I purchased a 97 Gulfstream Ultra a couple months back to retire in. I thought it didn't have any manuals in it either, but after going through all the cupboards, found 'em! Although....they were VERY basic (and thin) and there was NOTHING in them specific to my unit. so..I'm finding out as I go. I get a lot of info from the Escapees.com blog, people are VERY helpful there. I'm new to the RV life so am learning from the ground up, so to speak. In fact that's the reason I'm at this website, to see if I can find out if anyone knows the size of any of my tanks, I haven't a clue! I called Gulfstream, the first guy said if I gave him the vin, he'd look up the construction plans and give me all the info, but that was before I purchased it and didn't have the vin. So I purchased it, called back and got nothing but no, no, nos from them. They weren't helpful at all. So, I'm pretty much in the same situation. But, I'm learning....
I was told a unit of that age needs to be put on the scales as over the years of ownership, things have been added and changed and will change the weight. Makes sense!
If you still haven't purchased it and you're still interested, go to the Escapees website and they have info on what to look for when purchasing a used RV. You can ask all the questions you want and everyone is very friendly. Good luck!
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
afterhours

Default Re: 1998 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme Info

Hi David,

I have to say, Gulfstream appears to have abandoned their products. We bought a '98 Ultra with the slide out. I've pieced together a lot of information on my unit (built on a Ford chassis). Would have been great to have the wiring schematics, plumbing, etc., but I've resigned myself to simply mapping it all out on my own. You can do it -- just be sure to document all you can if you buy the unit.

We do like ours (the big fiberglass tent that it is). Sure, there are plenty of things I wish Gulfstream had thought through differently, but I guess it is the nature of their business model.

Now, I'm hunting down information on my genset and how to replace it. Makes for a bit of an adventure.
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote