Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
woodworker414

Default Hitch for E450

Hi folks, I have not been over here in a long time, just don't remember but I want to change that and be active over here.
We have a '03 Cavalier 29.5', new to us four and half years ago. Shortly after getting the C the DW started to have some health issue, we were able to make maybe 3 trips before we had to stop. Also in the mix is my vision problem Macular Degeneration. So for the last 2 or more years it has been a very expensive yard ornament. Things have changed my youngest sister is now the driver and she is getting really good at handling the C. Because it was just sitting there the things I had planned to do to it never got done. Now I have a good reason to do all the mods that I want. One of the first is to change out the hitch, It came from the Gulf Stream factory with a 3500# hitch, and I need to upgrade to a 5000# hitch. I have checked the spec sheet and I am well within the GCWR ot the rig.
I have looked all over the place and can not find a hitch that will fit my frame. The center line of the mounting bolts of the hithc is 39", all I can find is ones that have a center line of 38 1/4", which I think will place the bolt hole to close to the edge of the flange of the frame. Has anyone done this upgrade and if so where did you get your hitch, surely there is a hitch that will fit.
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Hitch for E450

I was wondering if your MH has an extended frame, in other words the chassis frame was lengthened by Gulf Stream.

I know in the past that this was the reason a 3500# hitch was installed. Lengthening the frame sometimes lowers the tow rating on some Class C's.
Maybe someone with a 29' Class C can shed some input on this.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
woodworker414

Good morning Ron, thanks for the reply. I had thought about that. I have read the stuff Ford puts out and it looks like its ok to still go with the Ford spec on the GCWR. I know accorcing to Ford specs that I have to add another crossmember back toward the end of the extensions, which I already have the "C" channel to bolted and welded in place. The extensions were done according to Ford specs, which I would expect GS to do. Also as a suggestion from the son in law we are going to have another crossmember add toward the back which will be on an angle, also bolted and welded in place. I guess I could go look for a lighter toad, but I really have not given that a whole lot of thought. But maybe now I will start to look for something else as toad. GGGGGGEEEEEEE, and I thought this would be a cake walk. Oh well, keeps me busy and off the DW's radar screen.posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=3969#
What are people towing as a toad, which weighs under 3500#, can be towed 4 wheels down. Probably the easist way to go,instead of trying to change out the hitch.
Bill
Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Getting a lighter toad would probably be the best way to go. It would save on fuel and give better performance from your motorhome.

There are some towing charts listed online that one can look at for a selection of qualified toads. I know Ford and GM both have models that would work.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
RayChez1

Hello Woodworker,
I bought me a 2013 Honda CRV-EX in December and we love it. We used to tow the much heavier Honda Pilot EXL and I did not have any problems pulling that either with the Cat engine, but when I was ready to trade it in I sure liked the trade in value of the Honda, so I bought me the smaller CRV-EX. Weigh's only 3200 lbs versus 4200 of the Pilot. Can't even tell it is back there and I have been averaging 33 mpg on the road. Fact I drove it from Barstow, Ca to Fremont, Ca. 800 miles round trip and that is where I got the 33 mpg driving 75 mph most of the time.

CRV toads are very popular with RVer's.

Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote