Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
38Chevy454

Default Operation "Supernova Quiet Cab"

I have quite a bit of engine and drivetrain noise inside my Supernova 6331. I decided to use some hot rod ingenuity and do the same as what I use on my hot rods. I covered the floor with a sound dampening material. Like Dynamat, but I used a cheaper generic version. Basically this is a high solids rubber with an adhesive and foil covering. The people that do the high end stereo stuff use this material for sound dampening and improving acoustics. It also works great to minimize noise transferred through the floor and other areas to the inside of the vehicle. That was my intent. You can find this stuff for best price on ebay or similar. Dynamat is a name brand and there are other generic versions like Fat Mat or other names. Just be sure to get the aluminum backed material. Not the rubber roof coating stuff, the foil helps it conform to the contours. You will need about 50 sq ft or maybe more. Cost will be around $100-200 depending on your source. The theory is the extra weight will dampen the vibrations and minimize the noise and the floor transferring the noise (and heat, it does have some insulation value).

I have used this material in my hot rods and it works good to minimize engine noise and it also has decent insulating ability. It is not intended as insulation, but it does help a lot with heat transferred through the floor or firewall. I just had to replace my A/C compressor because of catastrophic internal failure of the compressor and boy was it a hot ride with the heat transferred through the firewall and floor without A/C on a recent 100 degree day returning home. I fixed the A/C, but finally got motivated to do the extra floor noise dampening material.

So here is the process. First clean out the interior to get to bare floor. This is basic unbolting and removing stuff.:

Make sure your floor is clean. Wipe with a wet rage or even solvent if something strange is on the surface. You want clean surface to bond to. Get your shop vac and clean it out, and wipe it down. Next, cut and fit the dynamat type stuff and put it everywhere you can. It is a pain to cut and fit, your fingers will turn grey from pressing the aluminum backing. Use an cheap expendable razor knife to cut the material, it will get all cruddy from the rubber. Press and roll it into the contours with a wallpaper roller or similar. When done it looks something like this:

and

I also took the foam and plastic cover off the engine, and removed the foam. I covered this as well with the dynamat material:

Use some contact cement to glue the foam back onto the cover. This helps the noise that comes through the cover and is probably a source for much of the noise in the cab.

Then just put it all back together, just reverse of the disassembly process. It took me about 5 hours total start to finish. It does make you twist and turn to fit it up under the firewall area and floor. So be sure your back is good shape! Drink a cold beer or two to celebrate the job being done

I did not drive it on the road, as it was end of Sunday and need to get ready for the week. But it does seem to be quieter inside the cab from just starting the engine up and letting it run. I look forward to a real world test on the road. This is not a hard or expensive job, but it does require labor and the Dynamat type material, so figure $100-200 and a good afternoon worth of work.

2008 Supernova 6331
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
LabCab

Default Re: Operation "Supernova Quiet Cab"

LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to do it too. I never had too big an issue with the cab noise. The other rigs we had sounded like a Sherman Tank inside so the Supernove was a refreshing up grade. Thanks for the info Chevy. Let us know just how quiet it is now.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
38Chevy454

I forgot to state that the sound dampening material is self-adhesive. It has a waxed paper layer that you peel off and then stick it down. It sticks very well, in fact you will probably have more trouble to position it as it wants to stick in place any place it touches. You do not need to do any gluing or taping the seams. Just roll it down and you will never be able to get it back off without destroying the material, the adhesive is very strong.

The stock rubber floor mat and thin foam on the bottom are not much. Firewall had almost nothing. I think this should help a lot. Just ran out of time for a real road test.

I also want to do the doors, but felt the floor and firewall were more important first.

2008 Supernova 6331
Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
rld63

Thanks for the pics. This is something I have wanted to do and now you have given me motivation.

2008 SuperNova 6400 Grand Hotel
Pulling a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
rld63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
LTC_R

Great pics. I find the cab noise a cause of driver fatigue. Did it quiet down the noise? How is it out in the road? I've installed a few car stereos in my day and contemplated adding dynamat to my 6400, but I am not as flexible as I once was and want to make sure it's worth the effort. Thanks again for documenting the great work.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:28 PM   #6
38Chevy454

OK finally an update with results from a road test. Not a real long drive, but about 12 miles of 55-65 mph freeway and highway drive time.

Have to say that it seems to make a big difference in the inside cab noise. Still have the wind noise of course, but the engine and road noise is significantly reduced. I heard a lot less fan noise, and less overall engine sounds. I can hear the radio better than previously, another indicator of overall less noise inside the cab.

I am happy I did the job and feel it is definitely a worthwhile expense and the time to do it.

2008 Supernova 6331
Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
LTC_R

Thanks for the update. I'm in, now just need to find a day to do it. We have a trip planned from Illinois to the Air Force academy late next month and I'd like to get it done before then. If i do, I'll post an update and lessons learned as well. Thanks again for the pics, the update, and the inspiration.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
Old 07-30-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
rld63

Thanks for the follow up. Sounds like it is worth the effort.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #9
Dbhagner

Great post and thanks for taking the time to add the detailed photos.

Material bought...
Dbhagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
clarkeishere

Fixing to do this to my unit. But wanted to let you know that I just had a Kelderman air ride installed. What a great ride, no more hard hits in the rear. The other plus I did not expect was the cab is now 30% +/- quieter.
clarkeishere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
LTC_R

Finally made the decision on what sound deadner to use, went with GTMAT Quadro and ordered 50 sq ft of it. I will probably do the install in the next few weeks, weather permitting. I will let you know how it goes.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
Old 01-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #12
LTC_R

Had a few detours along the way, (had a major engine failure, you can read about it in the post "Engine Replacement") but finally got this project going. I found a decibel meter app for my phone and the readings while running down the highway at 70 were in the low 90 db's. I will take some other readings once I get the job done and take a road trip. I took advantage of the crazy warm January weather, mid 40's, (hey, it's central Illinois we gotta recognize Mother Nature for the positives when we can) and pulled apart the cab. 38Chevy454's directions and pictures are right on the mark. Very easy to do. While the seats are out, the wife had the great idea to have them recovered and the foam restored, yep, you just heard the cash register ring, not sure what that's going to run. I managed to get the Engine Cover done before it got dark, the sound mat material added some serious weight to the cover, but that's will definitely help on the noise front. I will be doing the rest of the project tomorrow. I will post some pictures and more notes when done.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #13
LTC_R

Got the sound deadener installed in about 4 hours. It took right at 40 sq ft to do the floor, engine cover, and the little rise between the cab and the coach floor. The GTmat came in 12x12 squares which were very easy to handle in the space of the cab. The sheets were very easy to cut with a basic utility knife and a wooden roller easily smoothed the squares over the small rises in the floor. I did the engine cover the night before and put it back in to keep what little warmth there was inside. While the factory vinyl floor was out, my wife took some clearer and stiff brush to it and really scrubbed it clean. Since the seats are out to get recovered and I have a few extra weeks I hadn't planned on, I decided to go ahead and order some carpet for the cab. I don't think it will do much to enhance the sound deadening, but more for aesthetics. I bought 3 yards of 80" Wide Ozite Carpet in "Medium Saddle" color from yourautotrim.com for $18.95 a sq yd. It should be here in a few days and I'll get it put down next week. So the project sits on hold again. Below are a couple of pictures as it sits today.

Above from the coach:

From the passenger door:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1791.JPG (121.8 KB, 2105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1790.JPG (111.0 KB, 2104 views)
2008 JK Unlimited toad
Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #14
rld63

Very cool.
I did the same on the floor, engine cover and doors for my 6400. It really quieted down the cab.
For me it took about 8 hours from start to finish.

I think it was worth the effort.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 AM   #15
LTC_R

I have some of the mat material left over, and am considering the doors as well. How did you get the little plastic rivets out without breaking them? I have looked at them and they just look like they will break when you try to take them out and then you won't be able to fasten the door cover back on. Did you have any issues with the plastic door rivets? If you broke some, where did you find a replacement? Thanks.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
Old 02-26-2016, 12:38 PM   #16
BadX

Very nice job, looks like we have a new project to tackle.
BadX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:33 AM   #17
rld63

I did my doors as well.
If you push in the center of the pins, it allows you to pull out the plastic fastener.
I did break a few and purchased them at the local international truck dealership.

Adding the dynamat to the doors made a difference as well.

Roy.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:18 AM   #18
LTC_R

Thanks. I will give that a try this weekend. I have 10sqft of material left over, and plan to do the doors. The weather is supposed to cooperate this weekend and I plan to finish up the carpet, and do the doors as well. I will post some final pictures then. Thanks again for the update......

3/6 - Well the weather did cooperate, it was great. 5 Sq ft of material is perfect for a door, so my initial swag on how much deadener material to get was right on the mark with 50 Sq Ft. Only broke one of the little plastic retainers. I installed the carpet I ordered as well this weekend. The final pictures are below. Once I get the seats back from the upholstery shop, I will post the final pictures and a breakdown of the materials and total cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1811.JPG (158.5 KB, 609 views)
2008 JK Unlimited toad