Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Beaufort NC

Default The switch to nowhere

Okay, here's a dummy question:

On the Cresendo 8356, under the sink to the left, is a wall switch with no label. It even has a nice little light that illuminates when the switch is turned one way.

Anyone know what the heck it turns on?

Pete Wenk
Beaufort, NC
'06 Crescendo with all of the bugs out, finally, maybe!
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

On our present Gulf Stream coach and our previous coach, that switch is the switch for the 110 volt electric for the water heater element.

To verify this, find your electric distribution box that has the 110v circuit breakers, turn the switch on so the red light is on at the switch, go to the breaker box and locate the breaker for the hot water tank, the legend on the box should be marked telling you which breaker it is, turn the breaker off and the switch light should go off.

I recommend that you have water in the hot water tank before doing this or just have the switch on momentarily so that you do not burn out the element with no water in the tank. Never leave the switch on without water in the hot water tank.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:21 AM   #3
earljan34

Pete, That switch you are referring to is the hot water 110 switch, And as Ron said make sure there is water in the tank! On ours you have to turn on the switch on the heater too, So I just leave the one on the heater on all the time so I can switch from gas to elect. from inside the coach.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
RJ82much

Ron, it's already been confirmed that switch IS for the electric water heater element. It already been explained not to turn on the element without water in the tank...Seems it's been all explained??? Nope, not yet! Ha Ha Ha, there's more. Just because the red light is on, doesn't mean anything regarding getting hot water!

Word is that the electric must never be turned on with no water in the hot water tank. This empty condition can occur after winterization, with tank on bypass. Of course, to prevent vaporizing your heater element, there is a Suburban-supplied switch behind the external heater access door. This switch has a pin thru the handle to prevent accidently energizing the element with the inside-your-coach unmarked switch. Too bad that apparently our coach manufacturer continues to NOT mark the inside-the-coach switch as to it's function, and continues to provide the indicator lamp that turns on regardless of the state of the all important external switch.

Wouldn't it be nice to:
1) have the switch identified?
2) have the switch indicate that electric power really is applied to the heater element?

I'm thinking maybe GS just wanted to give us something to talk about?

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Jim Davis

Default You answered the same question for me too!

I have a Gulfstream Tour Master and the 110V Water heater works great when you know what turns it on! I have 2 switches in our bedroom on one side. One turns on the indirect lighting but the other dosen't seem to do anything. Any ideas? Thanks .......... Jim
Jake Brake 7.5 KW Onan
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
coolchas11

Isn't the second switch for the overhead lights?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #7
RJ82much

...and there is probably a switch on the actual overhead light fixture that is turned off.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 12:25 AM   #8
jpa

hey guy so i am new at this but i just bought a 04 golfstream cresendo and i am still confused i thought my water heater turned on at the panel where i check my tank levels so i guess my question is is that switch for propane and the switch is to use it with 110v
jpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 02:18 PM   #9
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpa View Post
hey guy so i am new at this but i just bought a 04 golfstream cresendo and i am still confused i thought my water heater turned on at the panel where i check my tank levels so i guess my question is is that switch for propane and the switch is to use it with 110v
That would most likely be correct. The switch on the tank level panel is most likely propane. The second switch is the 110v electric heating element. However, be advised that the previous posts from 5 years ago had errors in them. The inside switch for the electric heating element is actually a 12-volt DC switch and indicator light which controls a relay that supplies 110v AC to the electric element. So when they talked about turning off the circuit breaker for the 110v AC heating element and looking at the switch to see if the light went out - that would be incorrect. The light will still work with the switch because the switch and light are working from 12v DC. The light on the switch only tells you the switch is in the ON position - it provides no indication as to whether there is actually 110v AC going to the heating element or not.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote