Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #1
PaulMears

Default House battery does not charge enroute

After about 4 hours in-route my house battery runs down, the radio will not work, and I cannot start the generator to charge it.

If I jump start the generator, the house battery charges. Once hooked up at an RV site, the house battery charges correctly.

Is their a combiner or solenoid that connects the Chassis and Coach battery system? Where do I look for these components?

Got an suggestions?

Paul Mears
36' 2005 Cresendo
350 Cat, 2 bump outs
PaulMears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
Big Shasta

Same coach as you. I assume the alternator is supposed to top off the house batteries. What are you running off them in route? if there is too much drain, maybe the alternator can't keep up.

They aren't connected except for the fact that if the main is to low to start the engine, then the dash battery rocker switch is supposed to link the house batteries to start the main engine but I don't think it works the other way.

We usually have folks with us and run the generator while we're enroute...The inverter was removed from mine when I got it and it's Florida so we need the ACs.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
PaulMears

Default Coach battery not charging enroute

Where is this battery rocker switch on the dash?

I cleaned the connections on all of the solenoids and circuit breakers and batteries.

Next I will check the voltage on the batteries, solenoids, and circuit breakers to see if I can find the problem.

When shore power is connected or generator is running the house batteries charge.

I only have the refrig running when enroute.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #4
mhhorowi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMears View Post
Where is this battery rocker switch on the dash?

I cleaned the connections on all of the solenoids and circuit breakers and batteries.

Next I will check the voltage on the batteries, solenoids, and circuit breakers to see if I can find the problem.

When shore power is connected or generator is running the house batteries charge.

I only have the refrig running when enroute.
We are having the same issue in our 2004 Friendship G7. The alternator has always charged the house batteries when in route, but we recently started to have an issue. I'm hoping to find a wiring diagram so I can determine which solenoid could be bad. It definitely worked before as we have driven over 60K miles since 2006.
mhhorowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhhorowi View Post
We are having the same issue in our 2004 Friendship G7. The alternator has always charged the house batteries when in route, but we recently started to have an issue. I'm hoping to find a wiring diagram so I can determine which solenoid could be bad. It definitely worked before as we have driven over 60K miles since 2006.
Push the emergency start rocker switch on the dash and listen for the click. If it doesn't click then you know you have a problem with the solenoid. Sometimes even if it does click you can have a problem with the solenoid.
It should also click the same solenoid when you turn on the key. That makes it so your house batteries charge while you are running the engine.
To find the solenoid I have one clue, this one is usually the one with the yellow wire running to it. Good luck.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
mhhorowi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Push the emergency start rocker switch on the dash and listen for the click. If it doesn't click then you know you have a problem with the solenoid. Sometimes even if it does click you can have a problem with the solenoid.
It should also click the same solenoid when you turn on the key. That makes it so your house batteries charge while you are running the engine.
To find the solenoid I have one clue, this one is usually the one with the yellow wire running to it. Good luck.
Do this while engine running or before it's running? Also, while connected to shore power or disconnected? Thanks for your quick reply. Much appreciated.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #7
Restorium

Not running and disconnected.
Old 11-27-2018, 04:32 AM   #8
Big Shasta

Quote:
Couldn't one also disconnect the chassis batteries and then see if there is power to the starter when pressing the rocker switch? I'm wondering if you will always be able to hear the solenoid, I don't hear anything and now it makes me wonder if my aux start switch would work when needed.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:25 AM   #9
Restorium

This might help;
Old 11-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
Couldn't one also disconnect the chassis batteries and then see if there is power to the starter when pressing the rocker switch? I'm wondering if you will always be able to hear the solenoid, I don't hear anything and now it makes me wonder if my aux start switch would work when needed.
On my motorhome the yellow wire was cut. I figure that the previous owner worried that somehow the engine battery was going to get killed by the coach circuit so they made sure it wouldn't by cutting the yellow wire. My solenoid wasn't clicking when we bought it. The rocker switch on the dash could easily get pushed and keep the two systems connected on a stay and then all the batteries could go dead leaving the coach stranded. My switch is not 'momentary', it can stay on.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 AM   #11
Big Shasta

Quote:
On my motorhome the yellow wire was cut. I figure that the previous owner worried that somehow the engine battery was going to get killed by the coach circuit so they made sure it wouldn't by cutting the yellow wire. My solenoid wasn't clicking when we bought it. The rocker switch on the dash could easily get pushed and keep the two systems connected on a stay and then all the batteries could go dead leaving the coach stranded. My switch is not 'momentary', it can stay on.
That doesn't sound good. Mine is only on while you hold it. I'll have to try again, make sure it's quiet and see if I can hear any clicks.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #12
mhhorowi

Quote:
Not running and disconnected.
I believe that the B.I.R.D is the issue. When I test the voltage coming from the bird to the solenoid using the ground and solenoid pin on the bird, I get a voltage of under 4v. According to the troubleshooting guide for the B.I.R.D this seems like it should be above 12v. Waiting for a call back from Intellitec to confirm that I am checking the device correctly.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #13
mhhorowi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhhorowi View Post
I believe that the B.I.R.D is the issue. When I test the voltage coming from the bird to the solenoid using the ground and solenoid pin on the bird, I get a voltage of under 4v. According to the troubleshooting guide for the B.I.R.D this seems like it should be above 12v. Waiting for a call back from Intellitec to confirm that I am checking the device correctly.
I got a call back from Intellitec. Looks like the voltage at from the solenoid post should be under 4v. The said that if there is a difference of more than .1v between the post for the coach versus the post for the chassis at the solenoid, then the solenoid is bad. I need to test that next. If the solenoid is fine, then they suggested that it's a connection issue between the solenoid and the chassis batteries. Oh the joy of RV ownership
Old 12-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #14
Restorium

Do you get 12 volts at the yellow control wire when you flip the switch? Does the solenoid click?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #15
PaulMears

UH! I noticed the stair step is not fully retracted when I am traveling down the road. Is it possible the chassis bypass that automatically retracts the step when the RV is moving is applying power continuously to the step in an effort to retract it??? This would increase the amp draw on the house battery substantially when driving down the road. Add the radio, navigation, frig, etc, I might be up to 20-25 amps.

Shouldn't the alternator be able to keep up with a 25 amp discharge?
Old 12-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #16
Restorium

Quote:
UH! I noticed the stair step is not fully retracted when I am traveling down the road. Is it possible the chassis bypass that automatically retracts the step when the RV is moving is applying power continuously to the step in an effort to retract it??? This would increase the amp draw on the house battery substantially when driving down the road. Add the radio, navigation, frig, etc, I might be up to 20-25 amps.

Shouldn't the alternator be able to keep up with a 25 amp discharge?
Here's the part that is confusing you;

The engine battery IS NOT connected to the house battery normally.

Your problem is most likely the alternator, engine battery, or both.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #17
Restorium

Quote:
After about 4 hours in-route my house battery runs down, the radio will not work, and I cannot start the generator to charge it.

If I jump start the generator, the house battery charges. Once hooked up at an RV site, the house battery charges correctly.

Is their a combiner or solenoid that connects the Chassis and Coach battery system? Where do I look for these components?

Got an suggestions?

Paul Mears
36' 2005 Cresendo
350 Cat, 2 bump outs
The engine battery starts the generator. Your engine battery died while driving. This usually points to the alternator as the problem. Could be as simple as bad connections on the engine battery, or a bad engine battery.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Restorium

Now the house battery;

The most likely cause of your house battery going dead while driving is an old battery. Or too much stuff on. Turn the stuff off and if it still goes dead then it's the battery.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #19
Big Shasta

Quote:
The engine battery starts the generator. Your engine battery died while driving. This usually points to the alternator as the problem. Could be as simple as bad connections on the engine battery, or a bad engine battery.
Not in my coach...my generator starts off the house batteries. When the shop that worked on my coach pulled the converter breaker and forgot to reset it my house batteries went dead. I didn't realize what they had done and in my troubleshooting I was chasing why it wouldnt charge from shore power so I tried to start the generator. It was dead dead too. So I started the main diesel engine and it fired right off. Found the converter breaker was flipped and all worked again after charging....interesting note, the house/main battery switch on the dash won't help you start the generator in this situation like it will the main engine with a dead chassis battery.

If he had excessive drain on the house batteries while in route then it's possible the alt. isn't keeping up with charging it. BUT, if the steps staying out was drawing that much current then it would likely blow the fuse. And I'm sure the alt is capable of putting out 150+ amps so that shouldnt matter too much.

You should be able to see ~14v on the house batteries when the engine is running...that would indicate they are being charged. If not, work your way upstream in the electrical schematics and find why there is no charging voltage to the house batteries.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:16 AM   #20
Restorium

Thanks for the correction.