Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #1
jkmpa1

Default 2019 Vista Cruiser 19CSK

Greetings,

I have a the above travel trailer. The thermostat controls the propane heater only and the control ranges from low to high, but there is no temperature setting on it. It does not appear the heater turns off when it reaches a certain temp.

Would it be possible to install a temperature control thermostat in place of the existing thermostat, so the heater will kick off when it reaches a certain temperature? And conversely, kicks the heater on when it is too far below the set temp. I have seen several on Amazon that have temp settings.

Would like to hear anyone's thoughts or experience with earlier models.

Thanks,

Jim
jkmpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Flower

If I understand correctly what you are saying I believe you are mistaken about the heater thermostat. When the furnace reaches the set temperature it shuts off the propane from burning that creates heat but the fan continues to run for a time then fan too will turn off. When the temperature drops below the thermostat setting it turns the propane back on to burn and create heat and fan starts at the same time and begins the cycle again. The fan will run for sometime before it turns off I guess this is to keep furnace from overheating or better efficiency off heat. I hope I have this correct maybe someone else may be able to explain it better.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
jkmpa1

The thermostat on these models does not have any temperature markings, just a slider that moves right or left. So I was wondering if I could install a thermostat that has temperature markings on the thermostat. What I was curious about is if the wiring in the TT is compatible with a thermostat that has temperature markings on it?
Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
Flower

I am sorry I misunderstood. I am also a member on the r-pod forum. rpod-owners.com and I remember this question asked before. I am sure if you visited that forum you would get a answer. We owned a r-pod for five years and never left the forum.The thermostat in the Vista is a common thermostat used in many campers. Our r-pod and Vibe have the same thermostat. I always adjusted it left or right as needed, a digital thermostat that could keep the camper at a near set temperature would be nice. Sorry I don't know the answer check out the r-pod forum it is a active forum someone will know the answer.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Flower

I am curious when you have the chance could you crawl under your camper and on the axle there is a label that will say the axle strength. Our's is 4,000 lbs. but I have gotten different answers from Gulfstream I was told 4,000 and 4,500 pound axles. I am curious what other Vista campers have for weight capacity for their axles. Thank you
Old 12-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
jkmpa1

I actually have it stored in California right now. I will be back to it at the end of January. I will try to post the answer when I return to it.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
atreis

You want a 2 wire 12v thermostat. The furnace and wiring don't know (and don't care) about temperature markings.

Here are a couple options:
Very basic: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003G9DD8S/
Digital (requires batteries in the thermostat but is much easier to use): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6ARNXO/

No clue about the axle. I have a different model.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #8
jkmpa1

I think the Suburban will work. That is what I needed. Thanks for the help.

Jim
Old 12-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
elmerfud

Default Thermostat

I am OK with the rudimentary slider. I got a indoor/ outdoor thermometer which comes in very handy. I then adjusted the slider until the temp was 68 inside. I then put a dot with a sharpie on the thermostat at that location. Problem solved. Also, I was told if you try to run the furnace with no propane, the fan will just run on and on. For safety.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote