Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Terrass604

Default While stored - on jacks or not?

A newbie question, but when your MH is stored for the winter, do you put it on jacks or not?
Terrass604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
Restorium

Had a tire store owner tell me to get the tires off the ground in winter storage if possible because the steel belts can rust from condensation. That was when we had a blow out in Ohio and the guy said rusted belts caused it. The tire looked like new when it blew out. Not even any checking on the side. Just BOOM and then had to replace all 4 on the back. $1600.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
Chuck v

Since I lived in my coach full time for 5 years, I did not really 'store' it over the winter seasons...however, it was on the leveling jacks all the time. Those are not intended to lift the tire fully off the ground, but they do take some of the weight off the tires.

Tires on motor homes very often do not fail from tread wear or even sidewall checking, but from age. Change your tires every 6 years or so and you will not have issues. Be certain to use the correct size and rating for your particular vehicle as these are heavy machines (mine was rated 32,400 pounds.) Then check the weight and axle distribution on an actual scale -- you cannot estimate these important weights accurately enough to be safe.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Restorium

My jacks lift all the tires off the ground. Then I put covers on them.
You need to make sure it's on a level surface if you do this.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Chuck v

Yes, my jacks CAN lift the tires completely off the pavement -- but the manual clearly states to not do that. This Lippert manual has a statement to that effect:

https://cdn2.webdamdb.com/md_FDhPD7lk1c.jpg.pdf

Remember, the rear wheels are where the parking brake is applied, and if you lift them clear of the ground you have no brakes applied at all to resist any lateral movement and you are counting on the structure and integrity of your retractable leveling devices. I for one would never do that...

Chuck

Old 12-15-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Restorium

I have the BigFoot Jacks.

This is one of those times when people disagree on what should be done. Simple as that.

I'm a journeyman machine repairman and have judged the jacks to be strong enough to hold up the whole vehicle safely. Having said that, I only do it when on a level surface and I use jack stands when I crawl under there. Been doing this with several coaches for many years without any problem. So you get to decide on what you want to do. To each his own on this issue.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
psdtime

I've worked around hydraulic systems my entire life. I have always been taught that the best way to store a hydraulic cylinder is collapsed. The idea behind it is that the rod is less likely to rust since it will be surrounded by hydraulic fluid. If I was to have to store an RV on it's jacks for a really long time or really corrosive area (by the ocean), I would probably grease the rods to inhibit rust. Just my $.02.
psdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
Chuck v

Yes -- good advice. My manual states to keep the rams clean and lightly coated with a spray silicon when extended, which is what I did while living on board my coach full-time. In five continuous years of occupancy including winter snow/rain/Pacific Northwest humidity and some pretty hot summers I had no issues.

Chuck

Old 12-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #9
Restorium

Yup, I smear axle grease on them when I put it into storage. You don't want the chrome to pit/rust or it will take out the rod seal.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #10
Oregon Pilot

I have used the jacks to raise mine, then installed blocks/jack stands and retracted the jacks so as not to have the cylinders exposed to the elements.
Oregon Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
ValVistaRV

Great Info, Thanks