Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
RRB

Default Missing satellite dome

I just bought a 2004 Gulfstream that came with a TracStar SV360 satellite system and it is missing the dome cover. Question, is the dome necessary? Also, the previous owner kept the receiver for the system. I’ve never owned a satellite system. Can I just buy a receiver and get satellite tv? Thanks.
RRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
UAHaerospace

while the dome is just a weather cover, 'whether' you can still use the unit is suspect, as the weather may have not treated it well, but you may also find that it's no longer supported and replacing it with a $250 DISH Playmaker, or $350 KING Tailgater, might be just as easy.

As for the receiver, that's actually the 'brains' of the system, and what you'll need to make any antenna work - the antenna is simply what 'captures' the signal, the receiver processes it and sends it's output to your TV. The receiver is what Dish or Direct is actually charging you monthly for.

A simple Dish antenna, like either of the one's mentioned above, with a simple Dish receiver will serve you well. They are portable, and can be placed anywhere to pick up the satellites, or can be mounted, whether permanently or temporarily, on your roof. Ours is at the rear of the roof, right near the ladder, where I can allow it to travel with us, use it anytime we are parked, or easily detach it and bring it down to the ground, if needed.(or somewhere else on the roof, for that matter).

Running coax cables from the antenna to your receiver is generally the main question most folks have who are new to RVing and Satellite service. Running coax, though, is simple. You can try to use existing coax connections provided by the original builder, but sometimes these are just out-of-date, or have splitters in-line, which don't work well with two-way Antenna systems, which require power thru the coax line.
Use slide seals for coax entry into the coach, or plumbing vents, or windows, or even existing cable, plumbing, and electrical runs that already exists.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
RRB

Thank you for the info.
RRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
jamesham

Great answer to your question from your first responder, and that comes from a guy that used to do satellite work for a broadcast station.

I assume you do not have satellite at your home so you do not have a receiver to check out and see of the feedhorn on the roof of your motorhome still works. Usually home satellite receivers belong to the company and are leased or rented. RV receivers are purchased. But some take their home rented satellite receiver with them in the RV.

So you are looking at buying a complete package of receiver and antenna, plus any extras like off-air-antenna, hard drive storage, and maybe more than 1 TV set. Camping World sells all that stuff but you will get very little help even to carry it out the door. A local store that sells satellite for homes will have more knowledge and usually uses outside contractors for installs. It really does not make much difference if the install is on a house or RV until tuning and aiming takes place.

Just looking around campgrounds, it appears more folks have Dish than DirecTV. Let price be your guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRB View Post
I just bought a 2004 Gulfstream that came with a TracStar SV360 satellite system and it is missing the dome cover. Question, is the dome necessary? Also, the previous owner kept the receiver for the system. I’ve never owned a satellite system. Can I just buy a receiver and get satellite tv? Thanks.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote