Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
frank_a

Default 19ERD?

My wife and I are experienced campers, though we have not had many travel trailers. We currently own a Parkliner (http://www.parkliner.com/), and while we very much enjoy it, it is a bit too small for us. We have owned a couple small Sunline travel trailers in the past as well.

Having said that, as working stiffs with kids, grandkids, and other hobbies (boating and a hot rod I am building) we don't get out a whole lot. We thought the Parkliner would do for retirement, but it won't. So looking around for something cool, we happened upon the 19ERD. It meets our simple needs seemingly well - a walk around queen size bed on one end, and a dinette at the other. About all I don't like about it is that for the size of it, it is not dual axle, and there doesn't seem to be much internal storage space. We would probably buy new.

I'm hoping other 19ERD owners might pipe in here as to things we might be concerned about if we buy one of these travel trailers. What have your experiences been with it? Does it make sense to buy one used? What should we look out for? What option can we not live without?

Any suggestions and/or comments would be helpful. Thank you.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #2
philabele

Default Re: 19ERD?

One source of insight you might consider is the Facebook page for Gulfstream Vista / Vintage Cruiser owners and interested parties. You would have to spend some time reading back through all the postings, since it is not categorized, but there is a wealth of insight, positive and negative, on these units.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1140535472665309/
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
frank_a

Default Re: 19ERD?

Thank you! I was hoping someone might answer my questions. I have asked to join that group, as it is invite only. Thanks again, I appreciate the advice and suggestion!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #4
Jhayesvt

Hi Frank,

I don't have a lot of time with our Vista Cruiser 19ERD as we just took delivery last Saturday but we looked at a lot of options in this price/weight range and are very happy with our choice. Good luck.

John Hayes
Jhayesvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
kim

We've had our Vintage ERD for over a year now and have taken it on two month long trips, as well as shorter weekend, or several days trips. We love our ERD! The biggest issue we have is counter top space - there is none. Which generally works OK for us, as we do a lot of outdoor cooking. But we've camped when it's 40 degrees and raining, which means, meal prep and cook in the trailer and that can be difficult, but doable.

Love the walk around queen bed, walk through bath feature, works fantastic. Another issue we have is the hanging space, but I'm a stickler for clothing that doesn't have wrinkles, where my husband doesn't care much. The bed side closets are great, except they are short, so hanging cloths can often be scrunched on the bottom. I solved and lack of closet space, with a tension closet rod above the shower stall. When we shower, I just grab the cloths and lay them on the bed. Works well and when we're not using the rod for cloths, we hang towls to dry, so they're not hanging in the walkway on the shower rod.

Shower had no place to put soap and shampoo.. the little shevles are inadaquate, I installed a shower tower, but you have to stow all the shower stuff before heading out. Easy enough, but I've forgotten to stow and ended up with shampoo spilled all over the shower stall. I just bought a shower caddy that hangs on the shower rod and hoping that works to hold soap and shampoo and will not need to stow them away. Inexpensive at under $10, bought on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had some issue with the cabinet doors above the dinette opening, so we use a bungee cord to secure the doors and that works great.

The dinette on the sink side of the trailer is small to enter, so I have some concern with that.

Shoes... BIG problem there. Since we go for long hauls, we often each have two pairs of shoes and maybe hiking boots. You can stow the unused shoes under the bed, but kicking off your dirty shoes in the trailer and finding a place to put the, is near impossible. We dump ours in the stair well, but I noticed the new Gulfstream Vista trailer removed the stairwell. Yikes... we use that stairwell for dirty shoes, so that would be a major issue for us and one reason why I might consider a used trailer. I suspect someone fell in the well and Gulfstream had a law suite, as we have both stepped out of the dinette on the stair side and almost fallen into the stairwell, but we have had no major issue with it, and where would we put our shoes, if it wasn't there?

Be sure to check your windows, every month or so. The seal will break away and will need recaulking. I assume this is an issue with many trailers, as they take a bit of a beating hauling down the road and can loosen the caulking. We had a leak before we realized the caulk had broken away.

We have the 3 burner stove top and oven and we have used it, but we do long trips and sometimes in cooler weather. You lose a cabinet with the stove, so that's the trade off and I might have reconsidered the oven and 3 burner and just stuck with the 2 burner stove and put in a convection over in place of the microwave. This would have also provided a little bit of counter space. The two bowl sink is nice, but it does take up space, although I've talked to people who have one bowl and they say they wish they had double sinks. Since I've never had one, can't say for sure, but a moot point, since the trailer comes with two bowls.

Fridge is more than adaquate and as I've mentioned, we've done month long trips. I prepare food ahead of time, like chili, soup, freeze it in servings for 2 and have enough space in the freezer, for meats and frozen veggies, as well as a small container for ice and two ice trays. I even have two mugs for frosty beers in the freezer.

Storage can be small above the sink, but use the open space above for storage too, so we do OK. I did buy a camping pot set, so no handles and looked for the smallest possible toaster I could find and we use a French press for coffee, so no coffee pot storage. Although, we did just buy a Keurig K10 Mini Plus Brewing System, for quick cups of coffee or cocoa, as the French press on a morning when we're trying to pack up and hit the road, can be time consuming and messy. I have not stowed it away yet, but did make room in the trailer for it. Hoping it works out. I think I'll have to put it on the dinette table, with the toaster, when we're camped, so that means more space lost on the table, but it's reasonably large enough for 2 people. The problem we anticipate is when we're camping with another couple and we're stuck indoors playing games. Our table will be occupied with stuff, so we'll have to use their trailer, most of the time for games. That's not a huge problem, but dominoes even for two people, you just need space to play and if it's cold, or rainy, you need that table space. If you're not people who play games at camp, you should be fine and even if you are, you'll make do, like we do. You've had a small trailer, so you're one step ahead of where we were.

We do OK with the bathroom, enough storage for 5 bath towels, 5 wash cloths, 5 hand towels. I wear make up and did purchase a make up case, that sits on top of the stack of towels. I also have some bins to hold assorted items and a divided bin for inside the medicine cabinet. There's enough options for storage bins and things available on the market that makes the tiny space work well.

Under bed storage for laundry basket - I had a collapseable soft sided basket, which I bought for one of the kids when they went off to college 10 years ago, that expands to accomodate growing laundry and that works better than a hard laundry basket. Actually easier to carry too. I used a hard sided t first, but then ran across this one in the basement when I was cleaning up the kids stuff and started using it and find it much better. I've searched for it for other camper friends, but can't find anywhere. Everyone thinks it's great, as it has pockets for laudry soap and even loaded full, can actualy be carried with one hand We use it to carry stuff out to the trailer, which isn't stored at our condo, but at a friends property, so we're always hauling stuff back and forth.

Hope that all helps... we love our ERD, but our little dog feels cramped... I think she's afraid of being stepped on. So, we might consider the model very similar to the ERD, but with the slide out couch and I have to say, it would be nice to have a couch to sit on and a little space to move about, although we do OK in the ERD without the slide.

We love the Vintage look too and so do other campers.. You'll be the cool kid in camp. LOL... people are always walking by, looking and often ask to look inside. We don't mind and often we offer before they ask, because we can see they're eyeballing and curious. If you don't like attention, might want to consider the ERD that's not vintage look. We don't mind, as it opens up conversation and is fun. That's what we like about camping, is the friendly campers and new friendships and intersting conversations.

Happy camping! Kim
kim is offline   Reply With Quote