Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
hpytravlr

Default Gulf Stream assembly line

While attending a Dixie Gulf Stream rally this past week, we were talking with friends who own the same 2006 BT Cruiser 5290 as we have. It seems they have had problems with their slideout also. While at the factory tour in Indiana last June they were able to see the class C assembly line firsthand. They were surprised to find out that a variety of different class C's were going down the line at the same time. First a BT Cruiser, then a Conquest, then an Endura, another BT Cruiser, etc. The factory spokesman said they mix them so that the workers don't get bored! Our friends said there were different parts lying around everywhere and could easily get mixed up. Henry Ford learned years ago that you make one model at a time and do it right. It's much more efficient and leads to fewer mistakes. I think Gulf Stream could take a lesson from Henry Ford.

Penny
2006 BT Cruiser 5290
hpytravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

The biggest problem is that there is a big difference between a Model T Ford and a RV.

Even on the GSC assembly line if one really looks there will be differences between BT Cruisers depending on how they have been ordered.

Gulf Stream does not build any coach for stock, in other words every RV that is being built on their line is sold before it is started. It has either been special ordered by a end owner or has been ordered by a dealer for their lot. Due to this and the fact that there are so many different models and floorplans, I can't see where it would be feasible to run a certain model/floorplan when there might be only a couple ordered that day. I was told they are scheduled on the line as the order comes in, therefore the mix would occur, otherwise the wait would be much longer for the customer if they only ran certain models during the day or week.

I have done factory tours on four different occasions and what looks like confusion to some is actually organized by the assembly line. Remember the workers on the line do that day after day, they know exactly what goes where and what they need for their part of the assembly process.

They have prints that detail what parts/assemblies go where.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
RJ82much

I've got to agree with Ron. Every unit being built has a specific build order, parts lists & drawings. I think the "boredom" story was your tourguide's idea of a joke.

Actually, most parts are common across many product lines. Plumbing is plumbing is plumbing as far as the workers are concerned. These units pretty much look the same under the hood, so to speak.

I noted the huge bundle of paperwork traveling with each unit. I wondered aloud during my tours, if the workers "Just Knew" what went where, or if they sometimes just assumed.... I was told what the tourguide assumed I wanted to hear, but sure, if you've installed the same toilet 7 times in the last week, why would it be any different on the 8th? Why would you check the paper work that one time?

I don't beat up on GSC's assembly process because after seeing it, I have the greatest respect for what they accomplish. It is NOT helter-skelter. There are final inspections & tests - though to this day, I wonder how some of the obvious, stupid mistakes can possibly get out the door. GSC wonders that as well.

I actually talked with some of the line workers & team leaders - they have every intention of doing thier job correctly. Again, GSC is NOT a half-"A##" operation.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
coolchas11

These posts are a confidence builder for me. We just bought our third GS and maybe this year we will be able to get out to see the GS plant. We have been very proud to be GS owners and I'll take your word that the assembly line is a quality operation. Charlie