Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2007, 11:21 AM   #1
nanahow

Default Flying J

Has anyone stayed at Flying J? We are taking a roadtrip and would like to occasionally use Flying J overnight?
nanahow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
mfa

I have not, but have read of the experiences of other folks. It seems they are safe enough, but can be very noisy due to trucks coming and going all night long.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
SueMac

We have once. Found a space as far away as possible so wouldn't be in the way. Be careful of slides if your rig has them. We left all but one in and the one we extended was next to a fence so no one could hit it.

They are noisy, but we were so tired, nothing kept us awake!
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
by8s

We stayed at the Flying J in Salina, KS on 3 different occasions when we had our 5th wheel. We stayed in the RV parking area. Was relatively quiet, one night someone pulled into a space the wrong way with a gas motor home and the fumes from his generator caused us to leave and go down the road. We found an old unoccupied Walmart across the street from a new one in McPherson, KS and spent nights there on several occasions. Now the old Walmart is occupied by an Orscheln store with "No Truck Parking" signs, so we stayed beside a Taco Bell in the same strip mall. I think the back of the truck parking area in the Flying J would be more private if it was not full at night. Now that we're towing a car we look for pull thrus in the rear of truck stops.
by8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #5
Cakeman

Default Flying J

We have stayed at several, and the biggest issue we have is getting a spot to park. We live in Ohio so we take I-70 to Denver and plan on the Flying J's for fuel and a few hours of sleep. Most have enough space and we were not near the trucks.
We only put the bedroom slide out if we are able to park next to something that folks can't drive next to us.
Going south to Florida we still use the Flying J's if possible for the same thing, fuel and a nap. The ones on I-75 tend to get small and if you get there real late, "there is not room at the Inn". We picked up the Flying J book to know where they are and that helps alot.
We have never had any issues, other then not room to park.
Toledo, Ohio
Cakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
holmesaw

We stop at Flying-J often for fuel and food. They have RV pumps
that are usually easy to get into and of course we get that 1 penny
discount :P :P :P
Last winter in January we spent the night in Effingham IL on our way
to Texas. We were the only RV there so it was quiet. Had a nice
breakfast in the morning and resumed our voyage.
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
RJ82much

We stayed overnight at Flying J on Interstate 81 in PA, south of Binghamton, NY.

RV Fuel (gas or diesel) pumps easy to access. Filled LP tank. Washed windshield - all very handy. Very large truck parking area, but I thought I ought to check what the rules are. Counter clerk said the truckers would let the air out of my tires if I parked there! Was she kidding? I'll never know, but a couple truckers (big belt buckles) nodded in agreement. We pulled over into the RV parking which was small & tight, but very well lit. Managed to get outer spot near fence & could extend the slides.

We ate dinner & breakfast buffet in their restaurant, which was clean, fresh, well stocked, and tasty. For comparison - better than any Old Country Buffet that I've visited.

In summary, it's worth searching out a Flying J while on the road. They have all the travel services you likely will need. and you are welcomed there by the staff. Just don't pi$$ off the truckers.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote