Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
Kate P

Default TV replacment and relocation

The Sansui TV in the front of our '09 Tourmaster is starting to go with verticle red lines showing up. We are going to need to get a new TV. While we are at it we would like to move the TV to the center and get rid of the obstructed viewing from the passanger side. Why they put the front TV on the side instead of in the center makes no sense to me. I have three questions:
1- Does anyone have any idea as to how to remove the existing TV?
2-Any recommendations on good TVs to install in an RV
3. Has anyone moved the TV to the center and moved the entertainment cabinet (which is already too small) to the side?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: TV replacment and relocation

Kate,

Here is a thread that addresses this for the 2007 year model TourMaster -- not sure what differences there may be in the later ones. It includes the steps needed to remove the original TV and install a higher quality one. In my case, I chose a Samsung unit that was the approximately right dimension with a full HDTV functionality. If your coach does not yet have HDMI input to the TV, be sure to add that cable to support a Bluray player if you don't already have one.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2471

I am not sure that the 32 inch size television receiver and cabinet would meet the height and vision clearance requirements of the driver's line of sight for licensing vehicles of this type if it were centrally located in the overhead, but you could likely put a somewhat smaller display in the existing center overhead cabinet if you want to completely rewire the entertainment center to relocate the devices currently in that space. You may have noticed that even large displays are being used in coaches recently by having them retract onto the ceiling (folding up when traveling...) and you might be able to have your coach customized in a similar way. Professional installation would likely be required in this case.

Hope this is helpful -- I recall the change-out of the TV in my coach was a bit complicated and needed a small amount of cabinet modification (primarily trim and grill work...) but certainly can be done by an owner without paying a dealer/re-modeler/repair shop to do it. Re-location would be more involved, of course...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Kate P

Thanks for the info. It is completly different in the 2009 Tourmaster, but because of your answer we started working on trying to move it and we found out, lo and behold, Gulf Stream got really smart and put it on a movable arm!!! All we had to do was pry the TV a little and we can position it in the center!! Now, why Gulf Stream never told us about this great advancement is anyone guess. Wish we had know about this 3 years ago but better late than never!!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Chuck v

Glad to hear of the articulated mount arm in your coach -- seems like an advancement over the 2007 TV mounting. What is provided to keep it in its proper place during travel?

Most flat screen TVs have standardized mount plate dimensions (VESA specifications...) so changing your Sansui for another brand should be pretty simple if the thickness and overall dimensions of the replacement are similar. Cable dress along the articulated arm might be the biggest challenge...since the connections at the TV end are almost certainly to be in different locations.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
David Bott

Why is the site owner allowing for such spam posts as above to stay on the site. Augh.

I say this for I find it strange that a link in the signature is to a product. I have seen a number of these around the site.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote