Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Default Sirius XM antenna

I just got Sirius XM to add to my existing radio and wondered if anybody else has added this to their radio and just where they put the antenna. Having a fiberglass body really limits the places you can put a magnetic antenna. I know I can epoxy it to the roof, but I can't find a convenient place to run the wire into the cab and then down to the radio. Any ideas would help. I had the antenna sitting on the metal strip between the windshield panels and this worked pretty good up north but the farther south we got as the satellite got more over head the more it began cutting out. Down here in the valley where we are sitting, I can't pick up anything with the antenna inside the rig.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
02 Sun Voyager

Default Re: Sirius XM antenna

Just a thought but could you mount it on a mirror arm & run the ant. lead through the body with your power wires to the mirror?? My mirror leads run through the body into the eng, comp. & under the dash. We have Sirius radio in both our daily drivers & here in the Pacific Northwest we have lots of trees. If your driving down a tree lined road the reception cuts out often. That doesn't happen with FM. I still love Sirius radio though.
Falcon 2 tow bar & Brake Buddy
02 Sun Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
tarheel

On my previous coach, I mounted the antenna on the roof with an adhesive and ran the wire over the side into the top corner of my front slide, then under the cabinet above the driver's window, and then into molding that went down under the cabinet to under the dash. Worked good for 4 years until I traded, it was never in the way of the slide movement, and not visible except for the short section from the edge of the roof into the corner of the slide and I'm probably the only one who would have noticed it.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
RayChez1

I removed a few of the screws on the molding on the left side of the windshield and run the wire under that molding, then I weaved the wire up through where the radio antenna is located on top of the coach left side. I removed the antenna and run the wire out that way to the top. I glued the small piece of metal that comes with the antenna kit to the fiberglass. After a few hours of the glue getting cementing itself you can attach the antenna which has a magnet on it. Then just put a small amount of silicone glue under the radio antenna and put the screws back on.

One wire goes to the FM radio where it says external antenna and the other attaches to the XM or Sirius receiver. Call sirius or XM to activate and find a station that has nothing but static on the FM radio and match it with the frequency on the receiver. You should have a signal through most of the United States.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
I removed a few of the screws on the molding on the left side of the windshield and run the wire under that molding, then I weaved the wire up through where the radio antenna is located on top of the coach left side. I removed the antenna and run the wire out that way to the top. I glued the small piece of metal that comes with the antenna kit to the fiberglass. After a few hours of the glue getting cementing itself you can attach the antenna which has a magnet on it. Then just put a small amount of silicone glue under the radio antenna and put the screws back on.

One wire goes to the FM radio where it says external antenna and the other attaches to the XM or Sirius receiver. Call sirius or XM to activate and find a station that has nothing but static on the FM radio and match it with the frequency on the receiver. You should have a signal through most of the United States.
Is the hole big enough up there to get the square magnetic antenna thru it? I can't take the antenna off the wire its moulded into it. Same with the plug end, but its alot smaller. I may have to go from the top down with the plug end. My Tour Master has two antenna's on it,one on each side. Haven't figured that on out yet. Unless the one on the right side is for the radio and the one on the left side is for the gps that came with the motorhome. I know there were tow wires going to it. One for power and one for an antenna? Anyway I don't use that gps anymore, too big and cumbersome and didn't want to learn how to use a different one.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
RayChez1

I believe all Gulf Stream coaches have two antenna's, one on each side, have not figured what the one on the right side is for, but when I removed the left antenna on the top by removing three screws the hole is about two inches and the magnet for the XM radio is only like one inch in diameter. So it come through fairly easy.

Somebody mentioned to me that the right antenna might be for RVers that like to use CB radio's, but I am not sure. I have not used one of them in a long time. I do have one and I should install it because they do come in handy at times just that I have not found a place to mount it.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
nemo45

I think I'll try it on the right side. If that antenna is not hooked to anything it might be easier to use the wire to it to pull up the magnetic antenna on. That's if the hole is big enough. I know its easier to get to the molding strip on the right side without the dash in the way. What type of steel plate did you use and how did you keep it from rusting? Some stainless is magnetic, some isn't.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
RayChez1

When you call XM or Sirius for the receiver you get the receiver, antenna magnet type and a small plate not much bigger then the one inch antenna. It is not an antenna like for a FM radio. This antenna is about as big as a bumble bee or big bug. You do not hook up to the FM antenna that is already on top.
On my coach it was easier and made more sense to go up the left side with the wire because my FM radio is on the left side of the steering column. And you do have to connect to the FM radio on the aux radio antenna. The receiver for the XM or Sirius is mounted on my coach right about the center close to the cigarette lighter because that is where you are going to get your DC power.

But if you did not get the base metal plate any stainless piece of steel no bigger then the magnet will do. This will be on top of the coach so it is not be seen from the front or the side of the coach. I installed mine right behind the left radio antenna.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
When you call XM or Sirius for the receiver you get the receiver, antenna magnet type and a small plate not much bigger then the one inch antenna. It is not an antenna like for a FM radio. This antenna is about as big as a bumble bee or big bug. You do not hook up to the FM antenna that is already on top.
On my coach it was easier and made more sense to go up the left side with the wire because my FM radio is on the left side of the steering column. And you do have to connect to the FM radio on the aux radio antenna. The receiver for the XM or Sirius is mounted on my coach right about the center close to the cigarette lighter because that is where you are going to get your DC power.

But if you did not get the base metal plate any stainless piece of steel no bigger then the magnet will do. This will be on top of the coach so it is not be seen from the front or the side of the coach. I installed mine right behind the left radio antenna.
Yeah, Ray, I got the small, almost square, antenna and the receiver I have plugs directly into the cigarette lighter on the dash. It is on an arm extending from the plug. You can set it to a open frequency on the FM radio or plug it directly in if the radio has a plug in. Mine doesn't. I didn't get any metal plate with mine. I might use a piece of galvanized sheet metal if I can't find any magnetic stainless, some isn't. I just needed a hole to run the wire thru that I could seal back up.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #10
nemo45

Ok, I installed my siriusxm antenna on the roof of the coach. I epoxied a 3"X3" galvanized metal plate on the roof near the antenna a the passenger side. I then removed the antenna and tried to get the xm antenna wire thru the hole down to the post where wires are running thru to the roof. This proved to be impossible because I couldn't get the angle with the coat hanger I was using as a tape to go forward to the opening for the wires. I then discovered that the cabinet on that side above the door has a false ceiling and by pulling that down I had access to all the holes to the roof and the opening for the wires. It was an easy job after that. I then put self leveling caulk on all four edges of the metal plate so wind couldn't get under it and reinstalled the fm antenna a put the self leveling caulk on that too. On the dash I ran the atenna wire under the stainless steel Tour Master trim plate across the dash, then under the plastice tray on top of the dash with oabout 6 inches sticking out to plug it into my Snap receiver that plugs into the 12V power plug on the dash. Can't really tell the wires there.