Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
pasemaker

Default 2009 GS Tourmaster

Need pro and con of the 2009 tourmaster. Looking to purchase one and I see mostly cons on other websites. Do not want to make the same mistake buying this product I did with my 5th wheel. thanks for any information
pasemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
jtking

Default Re: 2009 GS Tourmaster

In May of 2010, we purchased a used 2008 TourMaster with 7500 miles on it. It is our first non-Fleetwood RV (including Class A's, C's and Travel Trailers). Our previous motorhome was a Fleetwood Discovery which we bought new. The TourMaster drives and handles 100 times better than the Discovery, of course it is longer, has more hp and torque and several years newer. It has many more conveniences than the Discovery.

Overall we have been happy with the TM. We have not been without problems, but not any more than previous motorhomes. I don't really have any con's.

John
Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Kate P

We purchased a 2009 Tourmaster T40 F - With the mid cabin full bath. Once we got through getting all the quality control issues taken care of we love our coach. We could not find a new coach with better value than the Tourmaster. They did not tell us, and it took us three years to figure out that the front cabin TV is on a mounting bracket and you can pull it out and center it to make viewing a lot easier!! I would highly recommend you have the coach inspected by someone that is very knowledgable or RV certified. The money you spend will be well worth it. Hope that helps.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
pasemaker

Thanks for the information. Will begin to consider the one we are looking at more closely. Being sold by a company that rents them so hopefully all the kinks are worked out.
pasemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
RayChez1

If you go to other forums like RV.NET they will bash a lot of coaches and manufacturers. That forum is controlled by some loud mouths that own Newmar coaches. They believe IF it is not a Newmar, it is no good. So expect bashing of Gulf Stream coaches and many others in that forum.

I don't have a Tour Master, but I do own what was the flag ship before TourMaster was reintroduced, and I have had nothing but good results from my Gulf Stream coach. It is well built and the cabinets are second to none in quality walnut wood. We love our coach.

But you can get a bad coach from any manufacture, so if you are mechanically inclined, check it real close. And if you do not know anything about what to look for, then get an expert to check it out for you.

Good luck!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

In May we purchased a 2006 GS Tourmaster T40A. We are full timers so we have been living in it since we purchased it. I can tell you it is a well built coach that has all the amenities that the diesel chassis came with when it was built. Now, it is a used coach and in six years things are going to wear out. I can tell you that the place we bought it from replaced all eight batteries that were on the unit. This is something you should check out. They also replaced the front A/C unit. Since we bought it the rear A/C unit has gone out but insurance is going to pay for that since we were in a thunder storm and had a power spike. Also in that storm I had the awning out (it happened at 11:30 PM and we were in bed) and it filled with water before I could get out there to help drain it and the awning wouldn't go up. The roller is bent and you have help it to make it go up. Also it pulled a seam out of the awning itself. Insurance is paying the replacement of this also. I guess my point is these were all top of the line products and in time they wear out on all coaches. The storage in these Tourmasters is phenominal and one of the things my wife likes the best. Also, as the previous poster said the cabinetry is hard to beat and of course its on a freightliner chassis and they have a good track record. I would buy another one in a New York minute.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
RayChez1

I can not complain about my Scenic Cruiser which was the Flag ship of the Gulf Stream coaches for around eight years. My coach has been a very good coach and is well constructed. I have had it since April of 2003 when I bought it brand new and the only major problem I had was the fuel pump went out but was covered by the extended warranty. Other then that very few small things that I have been able to take care off myself.

But if you go to another forum like RV.NET that forum is controlled by the Newmar owners and they will bash them every time they have a chance, even though they have never owned one. I hate forums where you have people that do not know the difference between one and the other, but because they heard somewhere they will push their agenda.

Glad you like your TourMaster and I hope you have many good years with it. I very seldom leave my awning out when weather is in doubt. I saw one on a Beaver Thunder in Las Vegas get ripped apart before the automatic system could roll it in fast enough. Gust of wind hit all of a sudden and just bent it to where it was non operational. Glad you had warranty on your damage to your coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

I didn't know that the Affinity Group which is the holding company for RV.Net, Camping World, Woodall's, Trailer Life and Motorhome magazines, Coast to Coast and others had anything to do with Newmar. I googled affinity grounp and nothing was mentioned about Newmar.

I almost always put my awning up before I go to bed or in windy conditions but this was one of the times I didn't. We had a power spike that night and it knocked out the compressor the rear a/c. Not necessarially a bad thing on a 6 year old unit.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
RayChez1

I never said that they owned Newmar. What I said was in RV.NET there are several Newmar owners that like to bash every other brand of coach company. The only good coach is a Newmar, the rest are a piece of trash. There are some good battles between Tiffin owners and Newmar owners in that forum.

I personally do not like to bash because every individual has their own taste as that is why there are many different style coaches.

The big problem with bashing companies is that one individual can do a lot of damage by spreading around garbage even though he or she might not know anything about that particular coach company.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
dsomonster

I post both in here and RV.net and there are a bunch of haters on that forum. Most are good people that like to help and I've learned a lot from the people on RV.net. It sucks when a limited few ruin it for the rest of the group!!! I am still an active member and visit as much as I can. I do enjoy reading some of the posts when a group bashes another group. Good entertainment in between sports seasons!

I happen to love my rig (2008 Supernova 6400n). I know wrong forum, but unless you are ordering a high dollar rig, every thing coming off an assembly line will have issues. Heck, even the high end models will have issues.

I've done a fair amount of mods to my rig, but I would have done most of it anyway with another brand in the same price range. My rig had the right color and layout my family of 5 needs. The layout will handle another family of 5 which accompany us on about 80% of our trips.

I modded it my way and I love this damn thing:

May not be the stuff I see on TV but she is mine and the family loves her just as much!

-Ron in SoCal