Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
smittythtbear

Default Manually retract slide - HELP

Hello!
I have a 2004 Gulfstream Friendship G7. There is a slide with windows that will not retract. The motor moves the slide in about 2 inches, then makes a horrendous noise, and nothing happens. The motor is a LIFTCO 981003, serial number 308014. I found the 3/4" end that I am thinking is where I can manually retract the slide so that I can take the rig to get the motor repaired, but I do not want to tear up the motor. SO, we are dead in the water because the slide will not go in. What do I have to do to get this slide in? Thanks in advance.
https://sites.google.com/site/campgroundhosts/
smittythtbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
neondon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittythtbear View Post
Hello!
I have a 2004 Gulfstream Friendship G7. There is a slide with windows that will not retract. The motor moves the slide in about 2 inches, then makes a horrendous noise, and nothing happens. The motor is a LIFTCO 981003, serial number 308014. I found the 3/4" end that I am thinking is where I can manually retract the slide so that I can take the rig to get the motor repaired, but I do not want to tear up the motor. SO, we are dead in the water because the slide will not go in. What do I have to do to get this slide in? Thanks in advance.
This is a little late, but my kitchen slide is out, just stalled, but also an electric motor gear drive... I saw a write-up showing a brake release procedure, turning a knob on the motor 1/8 turn counterclockwise to release the brake. Then I think a 3/4" socket and ratchet handle could be used to manually turn the motor or gearbox shaft, manually cranking it in. Then re-set the brake.

I'm not sure what I have yet. Need to find the motor after I look for power at the switch. There's supposed to be a 20a breaker somewhere for the slides...
The road side slides are hydraulic, along with the leveling jacks. That pump is in the basement next to the fresh water tank. Here, you just turn a slotted screw (I think 1/4 turn CCW) to allow you to pump the hydraulic circuit you need with a jack handle or tire wrench. 1/2" thin-wall conduit "EMT" sawed off to about 18" should work. I sure wish I knew more about where things are in my rig. They will show their faces, I'm sure. Have a good day!
neondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Sudsy

Default The Motor is not the problem

Look real good for something that has fallen under/beside the slide. If the room moves a couple inches the motor is good. It is hard to damage an electric motor by rotating it. The binding is in the gears or maybe the rollers. Go outside and look at the bottom of the slide. Do you see damage to the areas where the room slides on the rollers? Look inside the room with it retracted as much as you can.Do you see the rollers at the top on each side? ARE YOU LEVEL? If not level the coach and try again. Maybe even try making the side that the room is on higher than the other. My bedroom slide is the electric one in my coach and I could prop up the bed and look at the motor while trying to retract it (it was stuck too). My floor had become weak and I had to temporarily put a piece of sheet metal under the mount and reattach the mount to the floor spreading out the load and reinforcing the area. I am now replacing the entire bedroom floor.

Also there is a shear pin on the pinion gear that is on the motor. See if you can see the motor turning and the gear sitting still. If so it would make a racket and not move. I would even stick a nail in there and bend it over just t get the room in. Then replace the shear pin when you can.

Hopefully some of this will help. I was lucky and the room got stuck while it was parked in my driveway.

Sudsy