Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #21
Scrooge517

Well I am finding that out the wife wants to go home already but I say no way not yet it's Florida or broke. Next adventure coming soon.
Ron & Barb
Gulfstream Friendship G7 2005
Scrooge517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #22
Frutza

Did you bypass the inverter? When mine went out I just bypassed, while unplugged, remove bother sets of wires going to and coming from the inverter and hook them together, should be color to color,
Old 12-28-2018, 05:06 AM   #23
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Did you bypass the inverter? When mine went out I just bypassed, while unplugged, remove bother sets of wires going to and coming from the inverter and hook them together, should be color to color,
Exactly how mine is. I didn't have an inverter when we got it and I don't miss it at all.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #24
bmoj

I'm no electrician but........

The 120v MH wiring is the same as your house wiring. The power comes into your main breaker which allows the current to flow down through the buss bar to the breakers. From the breakers the black wire goes to the outlet/switch and back to the breaker panel to a terminal strip marked "Common"

I have a 2005 Ultrasupreme Class A and is wired with roadside plugs, curbside plugs, microwave, AC, and ground fault. Yours is probably the same.

My problem started last year at this time when I couldn't get my air conditioner switch to work. After testing with a multi-meter I discovered I had a bad connection at the common. When I took the cover off the breaker panel, the last 4" of all the common wires were burnt to a crisp and the stranded wire turned to dust. I went through and spliced in new wires and that solved my problem.

So, 3 weeks ago I lost my microwave. I used an extension cord from a working plug to test it and the microwave worked. So it was back to the breaker panel. Again all the wires were burnt. When I spliced them the last time I used Marretts. The packaging said they were good to 221F and the microwave Marrett had a hole burnt in it! I replaced the wire and the microwave is good again. About a week later I lost all my roadside plugs. Back to the breaker panel and I had to splice in a new piece of wire.

Long story short, here it is Dec 30 2018 and I'm Las Vegas. My son the electrician is flying in today and will bring some of his testing equipment with him. I have a problem with the common connection that needs to be resolved. It is beyond my area of knowledge and I don't have the testing equipment to trace the problem. I will have to resplice all the wires once I find out what my problem is.

So Scrooge517, look in your breaker panel (turn off the power first) and make sure your common wires are good. Make sure the connections at the terminal strip are tight. If they are loose, your plugs will not work.
bmoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #25
Photobug17

Default Bad breaker

Being an electrician for over 30 years, I would bet it is a bad breaker, it may not looked tripped but still be bad. If you have a meter, and are not shy about working around live power, you need to take off your panel covers and check each breaker where the wire terminates under the screw, I would bet you would find one without power. Just my humble opinion.

If you have an inverter, you should have two panels.
Photobug17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #26
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoj View Post
I'm no electrician but........

The 120v MH wiring is the same as your house wiring. The power comes into your main breaker which allows the current to flow down through the buss bar to the breakers. From the breakers the black wire goes to the outlet/switch and back to the breaker panel to a terminal strip marked "Common"

I have a 2005 Ultrasupreme Class A and is wired with roadside plugs, curbside plugs, microwave, AC, and ground fault. Yours is probably the same.

My problem started last year at this time when I couldn't get my air conditioner switch to work. After testing with a multi-meter I discovered I had a bad connection at the common. When I took the cover off the breaker panel, the last 4" of all the common wires were burnt to a crisp and the stranded wire turned to dust. I went through and spliced in new wires and that solved my problem.

So, 3 weeks ago I lost my microwave. I used an extension cord from a working plug to test it and the microwave worked. So it was back to the breaker panel. Again all the wires were burnt. When I spliced them the last time I used Marretts. The packaging said they were good to 221F and the microwave Marrett had a hole burnt in it! I replaced the wire and the microwave is good again. About a week later I lost all my roadside plugs. Back to the breaker panel and I had to splice in a new piece of wire.

Long story short, here it is Dec 30 2018 and I'm Las Vegas. My son the electrician is flying in today and will bring some of his testing equipment with him. I have a problem with the common connection that needs to be resolved. It is beyond my area of knowledge and I don't have the testing equipment to trace the problem. I will have to resplice all the wires once I find out what my problem is.

So Scrooge517, look in your breaker panel (turn off the power first) and make sure your common wires are good. Make sure the connections at the terminal strip are tight. If they are loose, your plugs will not work.
Seems like it was a bad connection causing arcing in the first place. The heat and arcing could have made the common bar distorted and corroded. Then, because of the damage, you have more than one connection bad with a lot more heat and arcing. If you can't replace the burnt common bar, a whole new breaker box may be needed. That's my guess without seeing it.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote