Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
Burkejonathan

Default Low Air Alarm Sounding with low PSI

As of yesterday the PSI on the air system is low by anywhere from 12 to just a couple of points. It makes the ride rough and breaks are questionable, and the low air alarm is constant. Is this a leak in an air line or could it be that replacement of the air dryer is needed? We had a fuel leak on the last two fuel injector lines and I replaced those, the very back two, on top of the block.The rest need to be re-replaced as Freightliner has issued a revision of them with an isolator (on them) to prevent rattling apart as the older ones have done completely. SO..... you might want to replace them before they fail, as it is a mess with diesel fuel all over the engine when they do fail. they are easy to get to right on top of the block.

The reason I mention the fuel injector lines is that the fuel got everywhere and the main belt is squeaking now. Could that be my low pressure problem, as it isn't sitting right and turning things properly?

Where are the lanyards on the air tanks to pull and vent the air tanks, and where are the air tanks on the coach? Could not venting the tanks be the low pressure issue?

Thank you in advance guys.

Jonathan

2007 Tourmaster T-40B
24' box cargo trailer
Burkejonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Low Air Alarm Sounding with low PSI

You got a bad air leak some where. Have you checked to see if your height adjusting valves are not stuck open. When my coach was new I had one in the front drivers side get stuck and my air bags would not fill up. I had it towed away to Freight liner in San Diego and they replaced it under warranty. The alarm was going on because of the leak.

Now you mentioned diesel getting all over the serpentine belt. You need to replace that or Simple Green the whole engine to get that oil off all the components. If the belt is slipping that bad to where it is squealing it could be your problem.

The lanyard cables on my coach are under the wheel well passenger side. I do not believe the low air pressure has anything to do with the air dryer. You do need to change the air dryer every once in a while. You can tell when it needs changing because it starts purging continuously.

First step you need to wash the engine real good. Get all that diesel that sprayed all over the engine off.

You are lucky the belt has not jumped off, THEN you are in real trouble.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
Burkejonathan

Thank you Ray.

JB
Old 04-26-2016, 04:58 PM   #4
Hansonclan

STart flipping the air bag dump control a couple of times then go under and listen to hear where it may be leaking from less than 50 psi should lock the brakes on
I would not drive with this problem
Hansonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
Burkejonathan

Default Re: Low Air Alarm Sounding with low PSI - Revised April 27,2

Gentlemen,

The fitting on the air dryer was not the problem after all, it was the air dryer itself and had contributed to low pressure from the first day we've owned the coach(over 2.5 years) and we just didn't know where the pressure should have been. It was riding around 65 psi from day one and should have been about 125ish, almost double. The new dryer arrives tomorrow and will be installed at a price of $399 for the dryer itself. After trying other portions of the air system as the culprit and replacing those parts, the tech realized they weren't the issue and that the dryer was conflicting with other portions of the air system and it's PSI level.The other new parts were removed and man hours subtracted from the bill at my request as they were functioning normally, and the problem had been mis-diagnosed by the tech. All in all, a $600 repair bill for a new air dryer and labor.....

In the meantime the air dryer was bypassed so we can get around minimally until the part comes in, which has been working fine, albeit a bit noisy from the air tank releasing air constantly, lol!

Thank you for all your input gentlemen, it's very much appreciated!

JB

2007 Gulfstream Tourmaster T-40B
24' Box trailer
Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
Burkejonathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansonclan
STart flipping the air bag dump control a couple of times then go under and listen to hear where it may be leaking from less than 50 psi should lock the brakes on
I would not drive with this problem
Thank you Hansonclan,

Your advice did help find the problem and the breaks did want to lock up on many occasions of low pressure.

JB