Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #1
Burkejonathan

Default Inverter Converter Issues TM T40-B

Ok, new Magnum ME2012 Inverter installed after Xantrex went out in a puff of smoke..

The new Magnum inv/conv. won't power up and no 120v in the coach. I installed it correctly by the wiring directions in the manual. We're plugged into 50amp shore power. 12v batteries are charging back up after having been depleted. Air conditioning units do come on however while plugged into shore power.

I've reset all the breakers under the refrigerator also and checked the back bay passenger side breakers, they are all in the on position. Onan 7500 enerator has no power what-so-ever either.

What's my next move to trouble shoot guys, I'm stumped?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Johan
Burkejonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Frutza

Well, the air conditioner doesn't go thru the inverter, and if the batteries are dead or to low they can't start the genny. Do you have a remote display? Is it lite? I guess the next step is with a voltmeter to see if you have incoming and power out? 110, but, because your charging, you should have power in, unless you also have an inverter. Yea, check your 110 coming out of the inverter
Old 08-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #3
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

I do not have Inverter, but have Converter/ Charger and system has multiple wires at battery with multiple Auto Reset BREAKERS and (maybe a few FUSIBLE LINKS?) With (NO battery power) to Inverter or generator Start circuit, (sounds like) either one of these (BREAKERS/ LINKS) is bad or a battery WIRE is still disconnected? Did one fall down out of SIGHT? Break out your meter or test light to check the DEVICES, starting at battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkejonathan View Post
Ok, new Magnum ME2012 Inverter installed after Xantrex went out in a puff of smoke..

The new Magnum inv/conv. won't power up and no 120v in the coach. I installed it correctly by the wiring directions in the manual. We're plugged into 50amp shore power. 12v batteries are charging back up after having been depleted. Air conditioning units do come on however while plugged into shore power.

I've reset all the breakers under the refrigerator also and checked the back bay passenger side breakers, they are all in the on position. Onan 7500 enerator has no power what-so-ever either.

What's my next move to trouble shoot guys, I'm stumped?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Johan
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Chuck v

Johan,

On the Tour Master 40 series like my 40C and your 40B the generator is started by the large inverter battery bank of 6 volt golf cart batteries under the windshield that are wired in series/parallel to make a high amperage 12 volt bank. Measure the voltage across the battery bank at the heavy red and black cables that go down to the inverter compartment at the driver's side front wheel...if you don't have 12 volts there your generator will not start (there are other things involved of course, but start with the basics.)

When you say no 110 volt power when not on shore power -- most of that comes from the generator and not the inverter as noted above. The air conditioners, washer and dryer plus the electric water heater are not powered by the inverter. The inverter DOES power the television, microwave and the residential refrigerator.

When you say the 12 volt batteries are coming back to a charged state -- to which batteries of the three banks are you referring?? The house batteries are in the same compartment as the engine start batteries...those two banks are in the compartment just behind passenger side rear wheel, and each is composed of two 12 volt batteries in parallel. The third battery bank is the inverter bank of 4 each 6 volt golf cart batteries discussed above.

Let us know more detail about what you measure in the way of voltages and how things operate on/off shore power.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote