Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Ray

Default New Class A

Wow, I can't believe the horror stories that I'm reading! I'm now thinking that I should keep on camping with my 2003 Yukon XL and 2005 28 Ft. Forest River Grand Surveyor. I want to buy my first MotorHome(2008 Gulf Stream Independence #8359 35ft. class A ) but the trips to the dealer and the trips to the factory can be costly!! Some of you say buy a used MH, but then you have someone elses problems with no warranty. Also, I hate to make the mistake of paying to much! Can someone tell me the dealer that will sell at 30% off MSRP. I was told this is what I should pay from one GS member. My local dealer (Sandcastle in Morehead City NC or Longveiw RV in Tampa Fla. will not go that low. ) Ray in Edenton NC
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #2
mfa

You might try Lazydays in Seffner, Florida, outside of Tampa...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
bob3nliz

Send a message via Yahoo to bob3nliz
Default Input

Ray- I heard 20% was good -All RV's have some problems-buying a used one in hopes all of the probelms have been taken care of. But you have to take the word of someone you do not know that everything is done. If I was to buy a new one I would live in it 24/7 for 30 days. Make a list - take pictures then get service done. One trip to the factory should do it. GS is getting better-so far doing good by me. A little long in getting done [but is getting done]. Like I said they are getting better. Bob
bob3nliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
bob3nliz

Default Another place to look at

Bill Plemmons RV WORLD-Winston-Salem-NC-- Think when and where buying is the SERVICE going to be part of the deal. Then maybe the price is good.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
RayChez1

I don't know what kind of horror stories you have been hearing, but I do know that on RV.NET you do hear a lot of bashing of Gulfstream mostly from people that do not own a Gulfstream coach.
I bought my Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser in April of 2003 brand new. It was a carry over model 2002. We had a few small items that had to be fixed when we first bought it, but Gulfstream fixed every little item we complained about. I will say that Gulfstream has been great to us and the coach has been excellent. We have 34K miles on it now and I would trust this coach to go any where in this country.
I have read some of the bashing and upsets me a little because my coach has quality cabinets, floor ceramic tiles, corian tops and all top quality materials, YET expecially the Newmar owners really like to bash them. It is really too bad because Gulfstream owners don't say much and just stay quite when they read this. If they like their coach, they should speak out and tell it like it is. JMHO!
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
gbarngrover

Default New Class A

You never know. I had a Dutchstar by Newmar and had a lot of problems with it but at that time they had 3 year warranty. Bought new 2007 Gulfstream and have used it for 5 months on summer trip and only had one problem with hydraulics.
gbarngrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
gbarngrover

Default Price

30% off MSRP is possible on a Model the dealer can't move but 20 to 25% is more realistic. Lazy days is higher than most daelers, they have a lot of overhead that someone has to pay for.
gbarngrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
trickto322

Bill Plemmons in N.C. did a good job servicing our coach. they just got a big customer service award.

On the other point of people bad mouthing GS. I don't think there are very many units that are trouble free. They are very complicated and its a learning experience to find where the fuses are or where all the kill swithes are, etc. How many have had problems with a Ford or Chevy and at best all they do is seat 6 ? IMHO

Good Luck,
Adrian and Johnnie
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #9
bob3nliz

I had good service at Bill Plemmons too. -Maybe there are still some good dealers out there. Hope they keep up the good work.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
SueMac

You just never know what you'll get. Unfortunately our GS Super Nova is one of the worst they have produced. 75% of the problems were because of poor construction and assembly.

I'm glad some of you have a great GS product for it shows they can make a nice coach.

Problems are to be expected, it comes with RV ownership, but the problems we had were way too many for a brand new coach.

Yes, the folks with the high end quality rigs do bash the lower ones. Too bad. And if you think some on RV.net bash GS, you should hear them attack Alfa.

We've had Alfa's. One was great, the other was awful...another rig doomed due to poor assembly.

So good luck. Be sure to look at the sealing of the slides both when in and out, check the shower floor to be sure it is sturdy and check bay doors for fit, finish and sealing. Check the fit and finish of the cabinets and if they are solid on the wall. Also check the pantry...are the walls braced so the shelving doesn't fall and check the floor of the closet to be sure there is bracing underneath so when you set something on the floor it won't fall through.

I hope you get a good coach and no matter what the brand, you can get a good one or poor one.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #11
bob3nliz

Default 1---YEAR SO FAR

SueMac---I know how you feel. I had over 50 problems with my RV. I 've owned it for a year now and still have many problems that have not been taken care of. I do not think I would be having so much trouble if I would have got my first RV from Bill Plemmons RV WORLD. They would not have let it off the lot in the shape it was in and any problems would have been already taken care of. It is a shame GS takes so long getting things done. But I am still hoping they will. Best of luck to you. Bob
Old 11-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #12
SueMac

Good luck with getting your issues fixed.

After 6 months of rebuilding etc. it still will not be right unless the rig is taken down to the frame and rebuilt. Our selling dealer, Freedom RV in Tucson, Az. is taking the Super Nova back and helping us get into a Newmar product.

It was sad that most of the problems didn't show up during our walk through. A few did, but we didn't realize how major they'd become. And the more we used the coach, the worse it bacame.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
GStream40
Site Team

SueMac,

I wish you luck as you stated "I hope you get a good coach and no matter what the brand, you can get a good one or poor one."

If you read some of the posts on IRV2.com under the Newmar owners forum, Newmar also has put out some problem coaches. Just read about the co-owner of IRV2.com, Rebelsbeach (Bob Gregory) and the problems he had with his first Newmar coach with the chassis and refrig.

So the problems do happen with all manufacturers. I sort of read in you post that the engine noise was a major annoyance with your SuperNova to you.

Good Luck, Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #14
SueMac

I've seen good and bad Newmars, Alfas, Country Coaches etc. So it is really the "luck of the draw". I just think the ratio of good to poor coaches is better with Newmar, CC etc.

So here is hoping.

The engine noise was just a minor problem with the coach. And now that we've had the gear ratio changed, it is better, but that is really the least of the issues. It really isn't a "problem". The coach drives great and the engine and chassis are a proven item. The majority of problems with our coach is the RV "box", not engine and chassis. The only repair we had done that was a component problem was to replace a circuit board in the front AC. The rest of the list is all a result of poor manufacturing.

I won't bore folks with a list a mile long but if any one is interested they can send a PM with their private email for a response for probably doing it thru' the forum would bounce because it is so long.

I think the Super Nova is a great idea for a Super C. Great chassis, engine and a lot of outside storage for a C. Inside could have more, but that is a personal preference. GS just needs to take a bit longer and train the assembly workers on how to put these things together with a bit more quality in mind.