Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
perryd80

Default sun voyager purchase

Looking at buying my first pusher. Really like a 96 sun voyager, 210 diesel pusher.
Appreciate any feedback on this type unit. Many thanks, Perry
perryd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

Perry, a lot of improvements have been made in 12 years ... I think that you will be very disappointed with the 210 ... especially if you toad.

Best regards, Clyde
Old 11-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #3
quikduk

Default DP purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retird2Golf
Perry, a lot of improvements have been made in 12 years ... I think that you will be very disappointed with the 210 ... especially if you toad.

Best regards, Clyde
Perry:

It depends on your financial restrictions. We purchased a '98 Sun Voyager DP in August of this year and we are pleased with it. We looked at a lot of '04-'06 gas coaches for similar money but when we looked at DP's, the price jumped quite a bit and almost all were out of our reach.

Ours needed a few things but I am very "handy" (man, I hate that word) ...o.k., I am extremely "mechanically inclined" (there, I like that better) so none of them were particularly taxing.

We got a very good deal all things considered and one of my criteria was at least the 275HP Cummins with the 800FT/# of torque as it was the "big block" rather than the 5.9 small block. I also wanted an Allison 6 speed since I knew this combination could be fairly easily upgraded to 350HP and 971 FT/# of torque with a Banks Stinger kit and I wanted/preferred the mechanical Bosch fuel pump as I knew people that could "dial it up" a bit reliably. I say fairly easily as it takes a strong hand to spend the additional $1600 + tax... for the Banks kit, which I am still saving for...

We took the plunge and have not looked back. Look around as there are deals to be had. Ours may have been passed over since it has a green color scheme (most people appear to like the browns and golds) and had cracks in the windshields. After all was said and done, we paid below Low NADA for it and even with the $650-$750 I have spent on it (windshields, air leveling valves, waste valves, misc. water line seals and some additional do-dads ), I am still under NADA and it drives great.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #4
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

That's great that you can do the work. And, you are correct, we all have some restrictions, financial or physical.
I hope you and yours have many happy hours "on the road" and camping!

We do with ours and travel about 5000 miles a year.

Try and make at least one GulfStream "Back Home In Indiana" Rally.
They are in June and well worth the trip and cost.

Best Regards, Clyde