Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
holmesaw

Default Dust Devils

Anybody ever drive into a dust devil? We were driving south thru New Mexico yesterday when I spotted tumbelweeds swirling in the road right ahead of me. When I hit that spot, the coach took off into the passing lane about 5 ft and I almost lost control of the coach. I was lucky there was nobody in the passing lane. Next time I see something like that, I will stop immediately. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
FMCA Gulfstreamers International
Good Sam
holmesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
mfa

I've seen them in nearby fields, but have never driven through one. Thanks for the warning!
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
tucson_sailors

Default Dust devils and dust storms

Fair warning for those folks who might be driving through AZ during our windy season. The AZ Highway dept puts up signs warning of dust blowing areas - for a darn good reason.

Dust storms out here can reduce visibility to about zero. From the AZ DPS website.

Glenn in Tucson, AZ

http://www.azdps.gov/Information/Travel_Tips/

Travel Tips
DPS Freeway ServiceDust Storms

Summertime brings unexpected and at times unpredictable dust storms. Dust storms are caused when high winds sweep across unplanted agricultural fields or dry desert terrain, causing dust to engulf nearby highways. Dust storms are generally brief, but must be taken seriously because of blinding conditions on the highways. Dust storms have been attributed to many collisions resulting in loss of property, injury and death.

Dust storms are more common between the May and September on Interstate 10 between Phoenix and Tucson, Interstate 10 between Benson and the New Mexico State line, and on Interstate 8 between Casa Grande and Yuma. Persons traveling during the summer and other times of year are encouraged to listen to weather reports on radio and television, especially during windy conditions. Weathermen report when dust storms are possible.

If motorists see a dust storm crossing the road or are engulfed in one, they should pull off the highway a safe distance and wait for the dusty conditions to pass. When stopped, turn off lights; set the emergency brake, and make sure the brake light is off. This will reduce the possibility of a rear-end collision.

If conditions prevent pulling off the road, proceed at an appropriately reduced speed. In this situation, turn your lights on and use the center line as a guide. Again remember never to stop on the pavement.
tucson_sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
mfa

Default Re: Dust devils and dust storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ DPS
...If motorists see a dust storm crossing the road or are engulfed in one, they should pull off the highway a safe distance and wait for the dusty conditions to pass. When stopped, turn off lights; set the emergency brake, and make sure the brake light is off. This will reduce the possibility of a rear-end collision.
I would have thought having a tail light or brake light on would reduce the possibility of a rear-end collision...
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
tucson_sailors

Default Re: Dust devils and dust storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ DPS
...If motorists see a dust storm crossing the road or are engulfed in one, they should pull off the highway a safe distance and wait for the dusty conditions to pass. When stopped, turn off lights; set the emergency brake, and make sure the brake light is off. This will reduce the possibility of a rear-end collision.
I would have thought having a tail light or brake light on would reduce the possibility of a rear-end collision...
I think it's much like drunk drivers. They see the light and follow it. Not realizing that it isn't MOVING.

Glenn
Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
tucson_sailors

Default And here is an actual report.

3-vehicle wreck closes eastbound I-10 near Picacho
By Brian J. Pedersen
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona

Eastbound Interstate 10 north of Picacho Peak remains closed following a three-vehicle wreck caused by blowing dust, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.

The wreck, which involves two commercial trucks, occurred just before 12:30 p.m. on eastbound I-10 at milepost 214, blocking both lanes of traffic, DPS said.

At least one lane is expected to reopen in an hour, DPS said.
Blowing dust is causing visibility issues on I-10 between milepost 175 and 218, with the worst conditions between milepost 175 and 200, DPS said. Visibility is less than a quarter-mile, DPS said.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Beaufort NC

Default Re: And here is an actual report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucson_sailors
3-vehicle wreck closes eastbound I-10 near Picacho
By Brian J. Pedersen
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona

Eastbound Interstate 10 north of Picacho Peak remains closed following a three-vehicle wreck caused by blowing dust, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.

The wreck, which involves two commercial trucks, occurred just before 12:30 p.m. on eastbound I-10 at milepost 214, blocking both lanes of traffic, DPS said.

At least one lane is expected to reopen in an hour, DPS said.
Blowing dust is causing visibility issues on I-10 between milepost 175 and 218, with the worst conditions between milepost 175 and 200, DPS said. Visibility is less than a quarter-mile, DPS said.
Arizona has its dust, North Carolina has its rock slides.
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
tucson_sailors

Default Rock slides

That would simply be bigger clumps of dust?

Glenn in Tucson