Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
trickto322

Default satellite Dome

Has anyone changed out the satellite dish that came on the Tourmaster with a Dome? Our dish lost its way and cannot be repaired, they told us it is obsolete . We were thinking of putting a king dome in its place. I was wondering if its would be a quick swithch out?
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
RayChez1

Call Kingdome and ask them if it would require much of a change to replace the dome that you have now. I personally don't think there would be that much of a change. They can probably use the same holes where the other was installed. If not, I am sure they will know how to patch up what ever is needed.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
trickto322

There is a wingard up there now and maybe if we get a wingard dome it will a now brainer. We just have to get that dish off that roof.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Jim

Default reply

why don 't you try one of those new type winguard dish's they are better than a dome
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
David Bott

Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
why don 't you try one of those new type winguard dish's they are better than a dome
Second that! I have a KVH in motion dome and added a Winegard Traveler which has just been outstanding. I have not used the KVH sense January when the Winegard was installed.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
RayChez1

Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

LOL! Sorry I am laughing on your post stating that the winguard dish is better then a dome. But I had a wingard dish on my other coach and I used to hate the darn thing. Every time it was windy I would lose the satelite signal.
On this other coach I have the automatic Kingdome and it has been fantastic. Press a button and it locates the satelite right away unless there is an obstruction on the way, but if you are clear of trees or super tall buildings you will have no problem with the dome systems.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
David Bott

You must have had a OLD series Winegard. (Which were really bad and moved with the wind.) The new ones that they are making now, totally redone, are outstanding!!! Heavy rain, 40+ winds, not an issue. To this I know what I am speaking. I also own and operate http://www.DBSTalk.com

I left the dome on the coach only in case I know I will be going long distance and may want TV in motion. Other than that, it is not used. No more waiting for the dome to find the sat I need when changing channels. Heck, I can even record 2 shows at the same time on two different sats.

Take a look at the current Winegards, I think just by looking you will see what I mean.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 PM   #8
trickto322

One of the reasons we wanted a dome is because of the wind issue. When we were in Quartzsite when the wind would come up it would push it backwards. Then it was an pain to get it home. Actually that thing was a pain the whole time we had it. So now even if we get a regular dish will it just be a relatively quick switch out?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
David Bott

"if we get a regular dish will it just be a relatively quick switch out"

Hard to say. Depends on how your old one was setup. My guess, remove old one and the control cable. Install new one with new control cable in the same place (based on space.) You should be able to use the current coax cable.

Yes, the new Winegards are SO MUCH better. You can see the difference just looking at the photo of them and how beefed up they are.

I have on my roof a Wingard Traveler Dish (Dish Network version), A KVH R5 In motion Sat Dome, a MotoSat G74 Data Dish, and carry in my basement a Winegard CarryOut just in case. (trees)
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
11B

I just dumped my roof mount and went to the small carry out. We have our MH parked for 6 mounths out of the year on our lot in Wyo. so I had direct tv install a antena on my shed for when we are there and plan to use the portable when on the road (limited travels) in the winter time.

I hope I made the right choice and have to admitt it saved me a bundle of cash and I was real tired of the old one and all the searching problems it had.

If any of you own one of the new carry outs from camping world let me know how you like it and if it is easy to set up.

11B
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
David Bott

When you say Carry out....do you mean the actual winegard Carryout unit that is a little dome? OR a carry out dish you setup?

If you meant the little white dome winegard carryout, I have one as a backup (tress) and it works just great.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
RayChez1

Yes, I have being seeing a lot of those little domes that are portable and everybody I have talked to say that they work real good. They look like a little KingDome.
But I have also seen another type that is a small dish and it comes in a container. When you get ready to use it, you just open the container and it unfolds into a minature dish antenna. Don't know much about those.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
David Bott

Sorry to say I do not. I like things that are automated. I really do not care to spend my time setting up a dish it hit a sat. Sometimes it can be frustrating. Me, I rather place it down and plug it in and let it does it's thing.

Also, if the little popup dish only has one LNB, than you can only hit 1 sat and this are limited on what you can watch. Dishnetwork uses 3 sats and directv using 5 for all the programming. With the little carryout, the dish can actually move to one sat to another as the tuner calls for it.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
RayChez1

I also like automatic satelite finders and I really don't think wheather you have one LNB or three is such a big deal with a fully automatic Kingdome. I myself speaking from experience with a fully automatic Kingdome will say that all you do is press a rocker type button to change from one sat to the other. It takes no more then thirty seconds to lock in.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
David Bott

Must have a old system also then Ray as the units for the last like 5 years are no button press needed as it is done via software from the DSS receiver. The dish moves to the sat it needs on it's own and does so in less than 2 seconds.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad