Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
GULFSTREAMER37

Default Too Quiet around Here

I am surprised at the lack of activity this is a Nice forum.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Arthur Hayes

Default Re: Too Quiet around Here

Maybe everyone is happy and content.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
sd1209

This IS a great site but has had a problem with spam and and a lack of attn by administrators......In the past the spam would be all over the site and stay for weeks.....

This seems to have really improved lately though and I am hopeful that it will bring people back to this site (it has brought me back for another look) who have GS's and enjoy the exchange of info, as I do......

GS has a bad rap in some corners but I have had nothing but good service from mine and we really enjoy our MH....Not so good service from the mfg but that is another topic.....

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca
2006 GS Independence, 30', 3 slides, V-10...
Jeep Wrangler

2006 Model 8295 GS Independence
30', 3 slides, V-10
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
GULFSTREAMER37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1209
This IS a great site but has had a problem with spam and and a lack of attn by administrators......In the past the spam would be all over the site and stay for weeks.....

This seems to have really improved lately though and I am hopeful that it will bring people back to this site (it has brought me back for another look) who have GS's and enjoy the exchange of info, as I do......

GS has a bad rap in some corners but I have had nothing but good service from mine and we really enjoy our MH....Not so good service from the mfg but that is another topic.....

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca
Jeep Wrangler
I was excited to find a site dedicated to the brand, I am pleased with my purchase but I have nothing to compare to since this is my first experience with a MH.

I am Very detail oriented and a Mechanic by trade, and I found a lot of stuff that could have been built better, of coarse again I don't know how or what a 160K motorhome should be built like.

Mechanically, Chassis, and Options like the 7500 watt generator, the inverter the electrical system the waste system the water system have all been Well done IMO.

It is Rusty screws, ( now replaced by Stainless) poorly built cabinets, slapped together, (Now Repaired and reinforced) and the Saw dust and trash left over from original assembly hidden under everything I have taken apart to inspect are insane to say the least.

The lose and or stripped screws list is pretty insane as well, hard to believe this coach only had 7K on it when I bought it but there is no Wear on anything to indicate otherwise.

Overall I am having fun finding and improving all the little idiosyncraticies, and upgrade to new more modern fixtures.

Been a Keep Me busy fun project adding upgrades and making this unit my own.

I would like to hear from more GS owners myself.

Thanks for chiming in.

Ted.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Koop

I'm with you. Loving my GS and would like to see a little more chatter here.
https://www.flyingthekoop.com
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca
Jeep Wrangler

Since the end of November 2012, I have on a daily basis deleted the spam posts and "Banned" the Posters(spammers). It has been a job to keep up with them and keep the forum clear.
If anyone sees one that I might miss, just report it and I will take the needed action.

As a Moderator, I hope that we can keep this forum clear of Spam and get it back up being active like it once was.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
RayChez1

Yes I really enjoy this forum because it is all Gulf Stream coach owners.

I bought my coach brand new in 2003 and it has been a very good coach. My wife and I both love our Walnut cabinets and ours were constructed very well. Fact the whole coach was constructed very well. The only problem I had with the house part was a leak in the front of the coach passenger side. But I Eternabond the whole roof and it solved the problem. Other then that is has been the perfect coach.

Unfortunately Gulf Stream is not manufacturing motor homes. I wish they would start the assembly lines again in the mechanized division.

I never really had any problems getting anything fixed when I first bought the coach on the shake down. The dealer where I bought the coach would contact Gulf Stream and what ever the problem was, was taken care off right away.

Now if I call for a part that has failed, I just give the VIN number and they direct me to the vendor that sold them the part.

So yes I would also like to here from other Gulf Stream owners in this forum and help each other.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
07Crescendo37Dave

We have exactly the same coach but with several thousand more miles on it. Like you, I have constantly replaced rusted screws and the like with stainless. Also fixing loose items here and there and have had to replace every cabinet door latch in the rig. I changed out the plastic door latch from the factory with an old fashioned cabinet latch from the hardware store. Also had to completely rebuild the tubular steel framing on the pull out bed in the couch as they bent too easily and both the couch seat and the bed sagged badly. Freightliner has a local service place to us and it has been excellent. Be sure you are registered with Freightliner as they have recently had a recall on brake calipers. They also worked well with the Good Sam ESP and replaced the turbo-charger on the Cummins. Big $ job and not easy to access. Have some good tips on winterizing if you need.

I recently had a roof leak that originated at the satellite dish which came out onto the ceiling near and through an ac vent. The leak has been fixed but it stained the carpeted ceiling tile. I don't know how to clean the carpet tile so if anyone knows, I would lover to hear how. It looks terrible. I will read further on the blogs as I am new to the site.

Thanks

Dave
07Crescendo37Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
GULFSTREAMER37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Crescendo37Dave
We have exactly the same coach but with several thousand more miles on it. Like you, I have constantly replaced rusted screws and the like with stainless. Also fixing loose items here and there and have had to replace every cabinet door latch in the rig. I changed out the plastic door latch from the factory with an old fashioned cabinet latch from the hardware store. Also had to completely rebuild the tubular steel framing on the pull out bed in the couch as they bent too easily and both the couch seat and the bed sagged badly. Freightliner has a local service place to us and it has been excellent. Be sure you are registered with Freightliner as they have recently had a recall on brake calipers. They also worked well with the Good Sam ESP and replaced the turbo-charger on the Cummins. Big $ job and not easy to access. Have some good tips on winterizing if you need.

I recently had a roof leak that originated at the satellite dish which came out onto the ceiling near and through an ac vent. The leak has been fixed but it stained the carpeted ceiling tile. I don't know how to clean the carpet tile so if anyone knows, I would lover to hear how. It looks terrible. I will read further on the blogs as I am new to the site.

Thanks

Dave
Hello Dave, Thank you for Sharing your experience, fun to meet and talk with folks with the same rig.

So far only had on drawer catch break in the bedroom easily fixed.

My daughter slept on the pullout sofa bed with no issues and it has never been slept on from what we can tell.

If you have a copy of the Recall could you email it to me [email protected]

You might try the club soda or a good carpet cleaner on the stain.

I am pretty sure I have my water leak Licked when I replaced the Cab Lights.

Ted.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
nemo45

Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Quote:

Steve and Liz
Fallbrook, Ca
Jeep Wrangler

Since the end of November 2012, I have on a daily basis deleted the spam posts and "Banned" the Posters(spammers). It has been a job to keep up with them and keep the forum clear.
If anyone sees one that I might miss, just report it and I will take the needed action.

As a Moderator, I hope that we can keep this forum clear of Spam and get it back up being active like it once was.

Ron
And I commend you on thew job you have been doing.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
rasputin

We have a 2004 Gulfstream Sun Voyager we purchased this past summer.The vehicle is in A-1 condition with only 22,000 miles.The original owner's had added 15,000 dollars worth of extra's when they bought it and just added new tires and wheel covers for 2,700 plus when the gentleman of the couple suddenly died.We were able to make a good deal on the sale and have been thoroughly pleased with the performance of the coach.We have made several short trips so far but plan on going to Wyoming for the 53rd Escapade,Montana,Idaho,Colorado,New Mexico,Texas,Oklahoma and back home to the Ozarks.The only thing we need to change at this time is an updated TV. of which I'm presently in the process.I have had comments from other RVer's that they thought Gulfstreams were good coachs and I would second the thought.To bad the company stopped building motorhomes.Maybe G.S. owners feel a little cut off now but I believe our motorhomes will be on the road for along time yet and we will be parked next to you for many years to come.Happy motoring in your Gulfstream. Guy and Nena with Meeka(****-zu) and Queeniebeanie (chihuahua(
rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #12
GULFSTREAMER37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin
We have a 2004 Gulfstream Sun Voyager we purchased this past summer.The vehicle is in A-1 condition with only 22,000 miles.The original owner's had added 15,000 dollars worth of extra's when they bought it and just added new tires and wheel covers for 2,700 plus when the gentleman of the couple suddenly died.We were able to make a good deal on the sale and have been thoroughly pleased with the performance of the coach.We have made several short trips so far but plan on going to Wyoming for the 53rd Escapade,Montana,Idaho,Colorado,New Mexico,Texas,Oklahoma and back home to the Ozarks.The only thing we need to change at this time is an updated TV. of which I'm presently in the process.I have had comments from other RVer's that they thought Gulfstreams were good coachs and I would second the thought.To bad the company stopped building motorhomes.Maybe G.S. owners feel a little cut off now but I believe our motorhomes will be on the road for along time yet and we will be parked next to you for many years to come.Happy motoring in your Gulfstream. Guy and Nena with Meeka(****-zu) and Queeniebeanie (chihuahua(
Congrats, sounds like a Nice Piece.

I am looking forward to many years of use with mine as well.

Ted.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
RayHarkness

well..never bothers me to chime in on things. THIS site has been a valuable site to us. If you just keep working your way thru the postings, and topics, you will undoubtedly find something that has specific interest to you. AND, we can get tips or thoughts from others that have had similar problems. As Gulfstream has stopped Motorhome work, its all about us now. I have found some very valuable sources. Raychez and I have the same coach, year and all, and rely on each other for questions or thoughts. Often he has a question about something that I worked on and vica versa. It has helped us both.

Now, this is a FREE site...when was the last time we paid for this? NEVER, so we can surely put up with some spam, and deal with it. WE HAVE TO RESPECT THE MODERATOR for doing as good a job as he can. When was the last time he got a pay check to take care of this site? I am still not seeing spam that really concerns me. It will happen. This is about us working together, sharing information on the coach and our travels. I love it here.....and my check to pay for my membership here keeps getting returned to me marked NOT NECESSARY. (thats a joke and more of a comment!~)

so...lets march ahead, and keep the wheels ROLLING. now if we can get fuel prices down (and they are sneaking up again) that would surely help us ALL...
r
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
RayChez1

Hello Ray Harkness,
I have been fortunate with my coach. About the only problem I have had in the last eight years is a headlight Hela light bulb burnt out. I was going to take it to have it changed out, but when they coded me $125. per hour, I decided it was worth me fixing it myself. I had it fixed in about 15 minutes for a total cost of around six dollars.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #15
RayHarkness

thats because you take pride in your coach, and DON"T LIKE BEING RIPPED OFF..adn we know they surely do do it.
I need to get my front end aligned, showing bad wear on one front tire, and have heard a thump if you put on brakes hard, but I think
you had a rubber cushion or grommet on the stablizer bar that needed replacing...will have to see...can't get time to use it !!!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #16
RayChez1

Yes Ray a couple of years back I could hear a thump every once in a while, so I crawled under to investigate and I noticed that the rubber grommet was missing on the stabilizing bar was missing where it attached to the frame and it had like one inch play. I ordered the part from a freightliner dealer, cost was like one dollar for rubber washer, but while trying to remove the section of stabilizing bar from the frame, I twisted and broke right behind the threads which was like a fourteen section of the bar. So again I drove to Fontana, Ca to the Freightliner place and bought the bar. It was not expensive, but I do not remember exact price. Easy repair also, just took the pressure off the stabilizing bar by lowering the leveling jacks to where there was no pressure at all on the bar.
But that is what was making that clanking sound under the front of the coach.

It helps to crawl under the coach every once in a while when the weather is nice and warm to check to see if anything does not look right. Also I like to grease all the fittings myself that way I know they are all done.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
RayHarkness

I am going to look into this..see if I will find the same thing. I BET I DO>..

and your right...I dont' trust anybody with greasing joints etc. Unless its somebody you really know and trust. I used to have a good mechanic, friend..who did Sheriff Vehicles in the county. This guy was an artist...he took care of my stuff.(this is long before the Gulfstream) he could take an engine apart, put it back together..diesel or gas..made no difference...He used to say..heh..thaty can only go back together one way ...and he bleieved that.

I would screw up something with my backyard mechanic work! I will check that stablizer bar...bet thats the problem. I think I have to move where I keep it, its turned into a HUGE dust bowl, and its disgusting there. They used to put down crushed shell, which made an almost concrete type base. But divorce happened, he and his wife are fighting..so the place is going downhill fast.!! thats ANOTHER story.

I think its time for a trip someplace...even an overnighter!
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #18
RayChez1

Raharkness, Our coaches do look a like but there is one big difference. You have a Spartan chassis and I have a Neway Freightliner chassis. Spartan has been know to give lots of problems with the ball joints.
You might also want to check your brakes to see if they are not hanging up some where. Maybe your slack adjusters are not getting lubricated and are hanging up somewhere in the brake mechanism.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
03heritagerider

Getting back to the original subject..."Too Quiet Around Here"...

Here are a few thoughts to consider:

1. Give the site a fresh look. Change the colors, fonts and graphics. When someone does log in the new look will make them curious and renew some interest.

2. Dump the old unused topics. Topics covering Rallys and The Latest haven't had an entry in a year or more and Petition Gulf Stream hasn't had a post in nearly 5 years!

3. Send a broadcast to all members reminding them that we're still here. It too will spark some renewed interest.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
GULFSTREAMER37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03heritagerider
Getting back to the original subject..."Too Quiet Around Here"...

Here are a few thoughts to consider:

1. Give the site a fresh look. Change the colors, fonts and graphics. When someone does log in the new look will make them curious and renew some interest.

2. Dump the old unused topics. Topics covering Rallys and The Latest haven't had an entry in a year or more and Petition Gulf Stream hasn't had a post in nearly 5 years!

3. Send a broadcast to all members reminding them that we're still here. It too will spark some renewed interest.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks for listening.
Agreed, this BB style is very outdated, and difficult to maneuver, posting Pictures, and links, compared to the newer stuff.

Pictures and video Draw Traffic.

Ted.