Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
WE B RVN

Default Blue Ox Base Plate

A bit of bad luck necessitates the need for a used blue ox base plate.
I have been suckered again. After minor repairs to my '99 Oldsmobile with 76,000 miles, the independent mechanic left off the pick up tube in the oil pan. The lifters went down but it still ran, very badly. This person (that I would not call a mechanic) thinking it was electrical, ran the engine until it locked up. The mechanic was young, has a new borne son, no insurence, no money, just starting out in life. I could not bring myself to pursuing reimbersment from this pereson. To make a long story short . after two more mechanics and an engine replacement, the car still was not right. After more than $2,000.00 and in frustration, I unloaded it on a local wholesaler. This leaves me with a 1998 Ford Explorer, and a 2002 Mercury Grand Marquis. As much as I would like to tow my Merqury, the cost of the driveline disconnect makes the Explorer the better choice. So the Ford dealer is installing the neutral tow kit now. I have been online for days looking for a used blue ox base plate to install myself. If anyone has an idea as to where to look I would appreciate any help you can give.

1998 Ford Explorer Eddie Baurer 4 door. blue ox part #2119
WE B RVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Maggie

Kevin,
I can't help you with locating a Blue Ox base plate. I can tell
you how sorry I am that you are having this problem after
looking so long for the unit that you wanted. Good luck in finding
what you need.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Kevin,
We have a 1999 Explorer that we tow and it makes a great toad. The neutral tow makes it really easy to prepare to tow. Just have the engine running, put in neutral, hold brake pedal down, turn ignition off to first position, the LED light installed by the dealer blinks three times and then turns on solid. Remove foot from brake pedal and it is ready to tow. We have towed the Explorer over 20k miles with no problems.

I just checked and could not locate a baseplate online anywhere for your 1998. I know in 2002 when I was looking for a used baseplate for our Explorer I could not locate one anywhere, so I had to purchase a new one from Blue Ox/Towing World.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
WE B RVN

Thanks Maggie and Ron

Ron, It is good to hear you have had good luck with your Explorer.

We also have a Honda Civic that we towed a few years back. Just as luck would have it, I sold the base plate and tow bar from that car to a freind just before the problem with the Oldsmobile. I had no intentions of selling it, but my friend could not afford to buy a new one. So, I sold both to him for $100.00 I will put the Honda up for sale to recoup some of the cost incurred from the Oldsmobile. We only need two cars anyway and at least, it will cut my insurance costs.

We are not full-timers and our motor home will be stored untill April. I will continue to look for a used base plate until that time. Then, if needed, will purchase a new one. In your travels, if you run across one, keep me in mind.

Thanks, Kevin
Old 01-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
WE B RVN

Ron, I was reading (can't remember where) that if the battery gets low on the Explorer, that it will jump into gear. As my wife will tell you, I have done and continue to do stupid things from time to time. Like leave lights on. Do you have a charging circuit from your Motor Home to the Explorer?

Kevin
Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE B RVN
Ron, I was reading (can't remember where) that if the battery gets low on the Explorer, that it will jump into gear. As my wife will tell you, I have done and continue to do stupid things from time to time. Like leave lights on. Do you have a charging circuit from your Motor Home to the Explorer?

Kevin
Kevin,

I never heard of that before and the dealer never mentioned it. But I will see if I can find out. The GEM module does go into a "sleep" mode after a length of time and turns off the Neutral Tow light to conserve battery power. The first time it did it, it really scared me, I tought it had jumped into gear in the transfer case. If I hit the remote or open the door it "wakes" it up and the tow light comes on.

I do not have a charging supply connected to the Explorer from the coach and have towed for two full days at a time with no problems.

I installed the extra bulbs in the tail lights with the light kit that Blue Ox sells so there is no connection at all into the Explorer wiring per the recommendations of Ford and Blue Ox. The lights are ran by the coach power when towing.

Ron
Old 01-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
RJ82much

How about auxiliary brake? That's what ran my battery down after 2 days.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #8
coolchas11

Kevin, how about e-bay or the rv salvage sites? Good luck, Charlie
Old 01-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
WE B RVN

Ron, The info on the transfer case sliping into neutral if the battery gets low was on IRV2 in the toads section, I think. However, I have not joined that group and cannot use the search function to find it again. It was an old post. Our local Ford dealer is not interested in looking up that information. It's also the dealer's first neutral tow kit they have installed.

Charlie, I have searched E-Bay and a few RV Salvage sites. I will do a Yahoo search and keep trying.

Bob, Thanks for reminding me abought the toad brake. It uses voltage even when I'm not screwing up. I will install a charging circuit.

Kevin
Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

When I had the Brake Buddy to never ran down my battery even after two days of towing.

But I no longer use the BB since I was having problems when I used it. I had to replace the brakes two times in two years. The BB people said there was nothing with there unit, but Ford claims it was because of the vacuum not being powered, so I will have to buy a different brake system. Still researching on what unit to purchase.

Ron
Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
RJ82much

I have the Blue-Ox Apollo brake system with transmitter/receiver to let me know anytime the brakes are applied in my toad.

I was supposed to have a charging system wired through my 7-blade connector, in addition to the separate bulb & socket kit for my toad rear lights. Well, I did get the charging circuit, but the technition (loosely) who bragged he was the best, forgot to include a ground return for my charging circuit! Discovered that when my battery went dead.

Till I get the time & inclination, I merely clip a jumper cable between auto & MH frame every now & then. Must be carefull not to do that without MH engine, or the generator running. My rundown car battery discharged the MH battery so engine wouldn't start. Thank goodness for gen-set & house batteries to start it!

A tangled web I weave!

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #12
earljan34

Kevin, have you checked out hitchtrader.com looks like a lot of used base plates there. Also what do you guys think of the SMI brake sys. as I can't use my brake pro in the 2001 Cherokee ?

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:08 AM   #13
WE B RVN

I posted my need for the base plate on hitchtrader.com a week or so later received E-mail reply from someone in Amarillo TX. He will sale me one for $150.00 including shipping. My question is what is the best method for payment and shipping.
Kevin
Old 01-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #14
C.Reilly

Personally, I would open a PayPal account and pay that way.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:43 AM   #15
WE B RVN

earljan34. Thanks for the Hitchtrader.com tip.

C.Reilly. Thanks for the PayPal tip.

I now have my base plate at 1/2 price.

Kevin.