Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
chamberlain

Default Changing air filter on an 05 Crescendo

Any body done this on a 06 Crescendo with a CAT 300, if so how dificult is it. I've looked at what I think is filter...the rather large canister on the left side of the engine where the filter indicator runs to. I talking about the little indicator that is used to meter the state of the filter. Mine is alway close to the top reading and I might need to change the filter but not sure. I have around 5k mile on the coach and have read that the engine need plenty of air.

Thx
Old 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

You are correct, that is the filter.

Do you try resetting the indicator and then drive the engine and see where where the level is? Also, did you look at the indicator when the coach was first purchased new at the dealers or soon after to see where it was indicating. Some of the GS coaches read high even when the filter is new due to some restriction on the intake.

If I remember correctly mine reads around 16 all the time. Our coach is in the storage lot and not at the home so I can't check right now. On our previous coach I had over 22k on it and on our present have 8k and never had to change the filter on either one.

But CAT recommends not changing the filter until it is almost in the "red" on the indicator. Also, I talked to a Fleightliner rep and he said the indicators were not an accurate indication of filter condition. He stated to look at the indicator where it read when filter was new and most of the time they read high when new depending on duct work restriction.

At 5k the filter should not be dirty or need changed. I have 8k on ours it still reads the same as when we picked it up at the dealers when new.

There is a post here about a 2006 Tour Master Air Intake and it having a clogged filter at 5k. You might want to look at it.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #3
chamberlain

When I picked the coach up the service mechanic said the indicator registers high... One level below red and I can just reset it once in a while to monitor the reading and it shouldn't need changing for sometime. Of coarse, this is the same guy that told me if I wanted my refridge to be colder all I have to do is turn down the temperature inside the refridge just like you would do at home. My guess is he never looked inside the RV one.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:06 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamberlain
When I picked the coach up the service mechanic said the indicator registers high... One level below red and I can just reset it once in a while to monitor the reading and it shouldn't need changing for sometime.
Yes, I believe that is about the same indicator level that my is at even when it was new. He was correct as to his advice about the air filter.

Of course he was also correct to a point about the refrig, just the temp level is set a little different than on a home model.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
RayChez1

Default Air Filter

The hardest part of changing out the air filter is breaking loose the big duct that connects to the filter . Once you remove that and break lose the two clamps it comes right off. I changed mine at around 10K miles, but when I took mine off it was very dirty with lots of dirt. When I went to the Quartzite Run it sucked in a lot of dust. The thing is that I replaced it with a brand new Wix filter from Napa and the vacuum gauge still shows a very high reading. I asked both Caterpillar and Freightliner about the reading and they said that the vacuum hose that was installed was too short and was not giving an accurate reading. They said not to worry about it, just check the filter every once in a while.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote