Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #1
BluesFlyer

Default How long does your LP last?

This is my first post, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

I just bought a 2021 Vintage Cruiser 19ERD with two 20 gallon LP tanks.

Our favorite camping spot has only a few electrical hookups, so I’m trying to figure out how long the propane will last for the fridge, stove, water heater, and grill. For the sake of this question, the only electrical needs will be lights, coffee maker, and the water pump. So hopefully the tongue battery will take care of those needs?

I’ve done some google searching and found a few calculators but I don’t think I’m getting real world answers.

What do you typically count on for propane endurance when no electricity is available? Hours, days, weeks?

Thanks!!

Keith
BluesFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
Chuck v

Kieth,

If you don't use your RV furnace, and leave your water heater off for much of the time, you can count on a 20 pound propane tank to last you 7-10 days. This is assuming you are still running your RV refrigerator on propane, and still cooking on your cook top.

A typical propane RV heater will use about 1/2 to 1/3 liquid gallon of propane per hour. A 20 lb cylinder contains about 4.5 gallons. So, a 20 lb cylinder will run the burner for about 10-13.5 hours.

In addition, the fan in a heater for an RV can be the largest user of 12 volts as well...so that one appliance needs to be used sparingly.

If you have a 12 volt coffee maker, that too will use a lot of electricity...if it is regular household appliance and y ou are running it from an inverter, that uses relatively even more due to the inverter not being even close to 100% efficient.

Dry camping (RV camping without shore hookups) takes some planing and some lifestyle adjustments.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 12:47 PM   #3
Chuck v

As another reference, when I was elk hunting during the winter in the Oregon mountains, we got by for 10 days on my two 20 lb propane tanks -- and it was cold and snowy as seen here.

We did not use the RV furnace due to concerns on both propane consumption and 12 volt battery life, but used a small catalytic heater with oxygen depletion sensor that used 1 LB canisters. Of course we were dressed for outside winter activities a lot of the time anyway...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg light snow Ukiah - Rancheria Creek camp.JPG (1.01 MB, 8 views)

Old 10-16-2023, 01:15 PM   #4
BluesFlyer

Thanks Chuck. Great picture!

Based on your numbers, I think I could get by for 2-3 nights of LP usage. The campsite has showers and a coffee maker, so I could do without the water heater and Keurig. I’d only need the furnace for sleeping about 8 hrs each night. I’ll need to figure out the furnace fan electrical draw. Maybe a rechargeable power station for that. The campsite has 110v in the main building that I can use to recharge the power station when needed. Or maybe a quiet Honda type inverter/generator.

Thanks again for the excellent answer.
Old 10-16-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
Chuck v

Flyer,

The furnace fan does use a lot of battery power, and a 'power station' may not be the best or most convenient workaround. The fan in your heater draws around 5 amps...much more than all your lighting if you have LED fixtures. Two or three nights of running can use up most of your battery capacity just with the furnace fan.

Does your RV have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel? If so and space allows you will see an improvement in performance by changing the bank to two 6 volt golf cart style batteries IN SERIES...as they can be had in 230 AH ratings. Most RV house batteries are rated at 100AH each so when paralleled they still come up at least 10% short of capacity possible with the cart batteries. Plus, the cart batteries can still be charged by your RV 12 volt converter -- and in fact charging lead acid batteries in series is much more satisfactory than any parallel bank. For two 12 volt batteries to charge properly in parallel, they need to be the same age, make and charge condition as each other...do not mix new and old batteries in such a configuration.

My hunting trailer had the change of batteries to the cart style early in its life and it was well worth doing...

Chuck

Old 10-16-2023, 05:46 PM   #6
BluesFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Does your RV have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel? If so and space allows you will see an improvement in performance by changing the bank to two 6 volt golf cart style batteries IN SERIES...as they can be had in 230 AH ratings.
My RV just has one 12v on the tongue, so this sounds like a good area for improvement. I’ll look into getting a few 6v batteries.

Much appreciated!

Keith