Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Washington travler

Default new owner of a 1992 Sun Voyager cummigs diesel pusher

I believe its a 5.9 tubo diesel although it does look larger. 61,000 miles. need to do maintenance.

What are the oil filter numbers?

Synthetic or rotella?

Owner left filters in side compartment but diesel filter looks real small like a car filter.

Read all posts on class a pertinent to my coach but no love. Have to order some parts from amazon like front key but need to up order to 25 bucks or more. Roof auto light bulbs have a led replacement. Head light have a led replacement?

Jim
Washington travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
xwhyz1959

Greetings! And congratulations on your new ride! I picked up a 92 SV myself not too long ago with 66K on the clock. Previous owner left a lot of good things in it for me, a box of empty filter boxes with numbers, and receipts. These are WIX filter numbers, and I think you need four different filters.

Oil filter 51607
Fuel/Water 33357
Oil Filter 51268
Fuel filter 33358

Why 2 oil filters on the receipt, I don't know. I haven't performed the service yet, so I don't know if the 5.9 takes 2 oil filters. Maybe you can ask your parts guy.
xwhyz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
Washington travler

Default Thanks for the info

Did some research and found a few things the 5.9 have problems with fuel pressure from the lift pump and a dowel pin in the timing cover. Found them at
https://www.genosgarage.com/tech_info. The fuel lift pump seems to be the most troublesome. So I am going to put on a fuel pressure gauge.

Keep in touch as I get to know this old beast.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:58 PM   #4
CoachStreamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington travler View Post
Did some research and found a few things the 5.9 have problems with fuel pressure from the lift pump and a dowel pin in the timing cover. Found them at
https://www.genosgarage.com/tech_info. The fuel lift pump seems to be the most troublesome. So I am going to put on a fuel pressure gauge.

Keep in touch as I get to know this old beast.

I read about the Dowel Pin issue (and that fix) as well when we first got our Coach last year (w/ 5.7 12V).

When we took our Coach to Cummins NW (Oly) for maintenance and some repairs, I forgot to ask about that to see what they say. We had hoses, belts, filter including that big expensive air filter, chrome tail exhaust pipe replaced, exhaust manifold and turbo replaced. Radiator flush and new fluid, oil change, shocks replaced, parking brake adjusted and overall safety inspection. Probably would have been a good time to do that Dowel Pin fix.

Are you going to do that Dowel Pin fix?

Quote:
The fuel lift pump seems to be the most troublesome. So I am going to put on a fuel pressure gauge.

Their doc says:

Quote:
While the addition of a fuel pressure gauge isn’t necessary on the ‘89-‘98 12-valve engines with the
mechanical fuel delivery pump, we can offer some tips should you want to install a gauge.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:36 AM   #5
Sundancer268

I got the following information direct from Cummins.
LF3806 is the oil filter recommended for your engine, the total system capacity is 16.3 liters [17.2 qt].
Thank you for contacting Cummins.
Miranda
Filtration Technical Assistance

If we have misunderstood the information in your communication or you have additional questions please feel free to respond to our support staff by e-mailing [email protected] or call Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST at 1-800-22FILTER (1-800-223-4583). If you are located outside of North America, you can reach us at 615-871-5100.
Visit us at www.cummins.com or www.cumminsfiltration.com
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
xwhyz1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
I read about the Dowel Pin issue (and that fix) as well when we first got our Coach last year (w/ 5.7 12V).

When we took our Coach to Cummins NW (Oly) for maintenance and some repairs, I forgot to ask about that to see what they say. We had hoses, belts, filter including that big expensive air filter, chrome tail exhaust pipe replaced, exhaust manifold and turbo replaced. Radiator flush and new fluid, oil change, shocks replaced, parking brake adjusted and overall safety inspection. Probably would have been a good time to do that Dowel Pin fix.

Are you going to do that Dowel Pin fix?

Their doc says:

Holy cow!! What did all that set you back? How many miles on this at the time?
Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
Washington travler

I read a little about the fuel pressure from the mechanical fuel pump. Seems they do not specifically recommend gauge due to injector pump overheating but the general theory is more pressure the better to a point. Several people wire a electric in series to increase pressure due to turbo requirements and cooling of injector pump. I will probably go that route with a fuel pressure gauge. Small expense to not get stranded or premature wear due to low fuel pressure.

The dowel pin deal really worries me, Did some research last night it is only from 1-2 percent of coaches have an undersized pin. May just to have piece of mind do the fix. I looked at some of the devastating results. I do not believe the motor coach are that susceptible to it falling as they are driven much different that trucks. IE no hot rodding or quick stop and starts.

Quite a good inspection. How much does Cummings charge per hour of labor? Need to run mine in if I can afford it. I am capable of doing my own work but it is much easier to let the pros do it.

Thanks for the info:

Jim
Old 07-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
Washington travler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
I got the following information direct from Cummins.
LF3806 is the oil filter recommended for your engine, the total system capacity is 16.3 liters [17.2 qt].
Thank you for contacting Cummins.
Miranda
Filtration Technical Assistance

If we have misunderstood the information in your communication or you have additional questions please feel free to respond to our support staff by e-mailing [email protected] or call Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST at 1-800-22FILTER (1-800-223-4583). If you are located outside of North America, you can reach us at 615-871-5100.
Visit us at www.cummins.com or www.cumminsfiltration.com
Thanks for the info. Did not know there was Cummings service center in Olympia. Just learning.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
CoachStreamr

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Did not know there was Cummings service center in Olympia. Just learning.

Yes, that's where I tooks ours. The RV hour rate is a little higher than the commercial truck rate (they have to work around all the stuff in the back bedroom) but you can join that cummins club and get 10% off labor and parts.. really helps and joined is cheap, it is a annual thing. They can sign you up there during your visit. I dealt with William, Service Supervisor

It's also one reason I preferred a Cummins vs a CAT. Over the last several years, we looked at so many RV's. We were patient and waited for the right one for us (and deal).

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 07-30-2018, 03:19 PM   #10
CoachStreamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhyz1959 View Post
Holy cow!! What did all that set you back? How many miles on this at the time?

Bought w/60K from 2nd owner (since 2004). He came from Nevada to Washington a few years back, he had Pac brake installed and also a radiator cooling sprinkler system installed. He towed a lot and in the hot climates going up elevation, would run pretty warm. That sprinkler took care of that he says. Have all the records going back including from the 1st owner who paid $176K new, from the Invoice. Second Owner is one of the top guys with Homeland Security / Air Marshals here in Western Washington (I confirmed this before meeting). Great guy, they bought their retirement house on the Washington Coast last year and no longer will be traveling with a RV, thought we paid a fair price, taking in account the service I wanted done. Second owner did updates that we would have done - replaced carpet with laminate through out, custom cabinet up front with flatscreen and the one in the bedroom. Newer Toyos (3-4 years old) all around. He added the Travel'r Dish and other things.

We bought the Coach and offered/paid with many of these things in mind. Our budget was $35K but we offered/paid less than 1/2 of that for the Coach.

I wanted to replace all belts, all hoses, oil change, radiator flush etc. That was around
$1500-$1600 if I remember correctly.

The Propane tank mount was cracked so I thought that could be fixed but in the end, no one would fix it (citing liability issues). Had to replace that and it's a big tank. That was one thing I didn't price correct, thought it would be $200 or so - was more like $1400 to replace with a new Manchester tank (another company in Oly next to Cummins did that). Regulator was replaced as well (original setup had 2 regulators, replaced with a high capacity regulator) and I had them clean up /paint that bin where the tank is located (while the tank was removed).

Cummins did replace all 4 shocks (2 were hanging) and I got new old stock off ebay.

When I picked the Coach up, the new belt(s) was noisy, they thought that would settle down. Two weeks later, still very noisy so I brought it back. The tensioner was replaced and at that time the same tech that did the inspection the first time found a blowout in the exhaust manifold. Removing that, there was also a blowout in the turbo, I looked at both parts and both blowouts were clear. They covered the tensioner and labor at no cost and we paid about $2400 (parts / labor) for the new exhaust manifold and turbo kit (this Coach has a exhaust temp gauge so they drilled for that as well).

I priced the manifold and turbo kit for parts (various places) myself and they weren't cheap just to buy the parts - I think they were very fair with us.

I spoke to Spartan (several times) to get the right coolant system hoses, there is more than one configuration for our specific engine. That did take a little time and I landed up ordering some of these hoses myself to save money (no need for Cummins markup). I have some new extra hose(s) left and I have the old hoses that I will keep for backup (and will keep in the basement storage).

Shocks were about $225 for all 4 and I bought some hoses. Cummins didn't have any problem with me supplying parts for them to install when and if needed. I dealt with William

She runs so smooth and quiet now.

I highly recommend Cummins NW in Oly, dealing with William.

Still want to have the Allison transmission fluid changed/serviced but I am going to do the fluid analysis first thru JG Labs

https://www.jglubricantservices.com/online_store.html

Cummins could do that but I was goign to use Brazel's RV Performance in Centralia (Highly rated) but may go to the actual Allison Distributor in Kent (I think it was Kent), seem to be a little cheaper for actual TranSynd (Brazel's uses another approved one), which is what I want to convert to in our Allison MD3060.

Also, Cummins doesn't do any hydraulics there, I have one leveler sticking so I will probably have Brazel's look at that. Cummins can do all the other Chassis stufff though, they tracked down and repairs a couple of leaks in our air-ride system (during 1st visit).

Thinking of having a Safe-T Plus Steering Stablizer installed with Brazel's unless I select the Roadmaster reflex, Roadmaster factory is down south about a 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive only.

Brazel's could look at/repair the sticking leveler, do transmission service and Safe-T Plus or Roadmaster.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
CoachStreamr

I also wanted to let you know how Cummins' shops work, they prioritize commercial clients (trucks), they have to. RV's are not the priority, at least at this location.

Their Spokane and Portland locations have RV only bays as they are Cummins Coach Care Motorhome Service Centers. They are larger shops than the Oly one is. Oly does have a couple very experienced tech/mechanics though.

We were flexible and could leave the Coach there. Was frustrating a couple times, a Cummins recall came in and they had to do several trucks over a 2-3 day period.

If a trucker rolling through town has an issue, he gets priority.

Keep that in mind and if you can be flexible and go over the quote(s) with William, I think they will be fair.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
Washington travler

Thanks for all the info and contact information. I have not found much wrong with mine so far except hydraulic jacks and interior update. Of course I want all fluids replaced and inspection done. Sounds as if you got a real deal on your coach. I did not do too bad on mine either. Appreciate the updated info on Cummings priorities. Have to make sure I have other items to do.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:32 AM   #13
xwhyz1959

My list of things to do is rather extensive myself. I wasn't working on this long, before it occurred to me that this is more of a restoration project, than it is a refurbishing. Cosmetically the outside is decent, needs a little work though. The inside was immaculate! Right now my list consists of the following...

Complete fluids replacement and flush where applicable.
Replace all hoses, including brake line hoses.
Aluminum wheels.
Roof re-coat with Dicor Cool Seal
Winegard in motion satellite, ( stole a RT2000 on Ebay new in box for $799)
Replaced bathroom skylight and fan
Replaced coach fan
6 new tires
Hour meter for generator
New shocks
Recharge coach AC

Problems I have encountered so far include...

Leveling pump has internal short in motor. I took it apart and blew all the carbon dust out of it, and couldn't find anything obvious to the naked eye. Going to remove it again and take it to a local motor re-builder and see if they can repair it.

Rear AC unit won't run under generator only power, but will on shore power. Puzzling.

Previous owner installed another switch in the electrical compartment that I have yet to trace and determine it's purpose.
I have a heavy gauge white wire unattached in the coach battery compartment that I have to determine it's purpose also.
Cruise control switch not functioning.

I'm really not anticipating using this until next year sometime. I don't want to roll until I have it all up to snuff.

According to my documents, we have a Spartan EC2000 chassis. Here's a parts manual I found online that may apply to us in some areas.

http://truckroadservice.com/barth_at...int-Manual.pdf
Old 08-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #14
CoachStreamr

Quote:

Rear AC unit won't run under generator only power, but will on shore power. Puzzling.

Our front A/C won't run on gen, it pops the 30amp breaker. Both run on shore and the rear on generator. I'm been advised to replace the generator's 30amp breaker, they can become 'weak'. I will replace that eventually.

Quote:
Cruise control switch not functioning.

Our Coach's Cruise doesn't function either. Seems this is common for the Eco Cruise (stops functioning). At this time, I don't find it a big deal.

Quote:
According to my documents, we have a Spartan EC2000 chassis. Here's a parts manual I found online that may apply to us in some areas.

http://truckroadservice.com/barth_at...int-Manual.pdf

Ours is a EC2000 series as well.

If you call Spartan and give your VIN, they can provide pages as well, maybe the full download. I was provided the cooling system pages with handwritten info about the different hose designs that were available, it's how I was able to order the proper hoses in advance of the old ones being removed from Cummin.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #15
xwhyz1959

My front AC is on my 20A breaker.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #16
Washington travler

I am doing the roof right now. Its been 100+ degrees quite a chore. 2 days in. Probably 3 more days. Today is supposed to be cooler. I do have to figure out the hydraulic pump do you have a manual ? Spartan sent me the manual for my motor home but quality is poor. I still need to do all fluids. I do not know about cruise too windy of a road home to use it. My generator uses the 30, 20 amp breaker I have no idea which ac is on which.

currently in progress

hydraulic pump/levelers have power to solenoid but no switch to on.
pex conversion.
Ac are new and both work, Yeah !!!
reroof
Do not know about tires all look perfect but are more than 7 years old. Probably change them.
Fuel pressure gauge and trans temp gauge.
Kitchen counter top.
Test heating system.
AC check any idea if it is r 134 or old 12?
Check turbo for leaks or gauge. Found a leak turbo to fresh air
Treat tank for algae.
Inverter in the front replacement.
Hot water tank cleaning and anode replacement

the list goes on
as soon as I figure how to send links, files and pictures from my computer or if offsite links are require will send some documents .

Hey CoachStreamr what part of Washington do you live ? I am in the Columbia River Gorge in Klickitat .
Old 08-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #17
Sundancer268

[QUOTE=CoachStreamr;he had Pac brake installed.[/QUOTE]

CoachStreamr, could I trouble you to take some pictures of the PacBrake install? I am going to install one in my coach and would like to duplicate a professional install if possible. I am especially interested in how they mounted the Brake in the Exhaust Pipe and how and where they installed the Throttle Position Switch. Thanks, Ed
Old 08-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #18
Sundancer268

Quote:
My front AC is on my 20A breaker.

That 20 Amp is the Breaker in the Electrical Panel, he is popping the Breaker mounted on the Generator itself. They do go bad over time, I replaced both of mine on the Generator in the past, not hard to do.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #19
xwhyz1959

Which PacBrake model are you using? I'm very interested in this myself!
Old 08-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #20
Sundancer268

Quote:
Which PacBrake model are you using? I'm very interested in this myself!
If you are asking me, here is my correspondence with PacBrake.

Hello Edward
All I have is a inline brake which requires welding. And on the 5.9 Cummins the Exhaust Valves need to be changed .
HERE ARE THE PART NUMBERS FOR THE SET UP
C40116 Exhaust brake
C11440 3’ Mounting Group
C10211 Control group
C13060E Allison wiring group
C14010 Heavy Duty Exhaust Valve Springs

Regards

Jim Foster , Insidesales/Technical Supervisor

Subject: Re: New submission from Sales & Customer Service

Jim, did you get my last E-Mail reply I sent? The Pipe Circumference is 9 1/2 inches translating if I did my math correctly to about 3 inches in diameter.
Edward
What does your pipe do after the Turbo?
What size is your pipe?

Regards

There probably is, but I don’t want to go there if I can avoid it. I do not know how to weld and the direct connect would help me avoid that problem as I could clamp the downstream connection. Thanks, Ed

Edward
Is there room for an Inline Exhaust brake?

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 12:17 PM
To: Jim FosterSubject: RE: New submission from Sales & Customer Service

No existing Brake on the coach and no evidence one was ever installed.

Hello Edward
Just to be sure , you don’t already have an Exhaust brake on your coach already as we were online with the factory then.

Regards

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cli p_image001.jpg[/IMG]

T
604.882.0183 | F 604.882.9278 | E [email protected]|www.pacbrake.com
19594 96th Avenue, Surrey BC Canada V4N 4C3 | Toll Free 1.800.663.0096
[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cli p_image002.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cli p_image003.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cli p_image004.png[/IMG]

Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:38 PM
To: insidesales
Subject: New submission from Sales & Customer Service

Truck Info
Year

Make

Spartan
Model

EC-2242
Engine

Cummins B5.9
Transmission

Automatic
Product / Question
Pacbrake Product

Exhaust Brake
Question

I am looking for an Exhaust Brake for my Motor Home. It is mounted on a 1995 Spartan EC-2242 Chassis with a Cummins B5.9 engine S/N: 45061157 and the Allison MD-3060 Transmission S/N: 6510026852 Part #: 29519064 94E11 with the World II controls. The Turbo Charger is a Holset WH1C S/N: C043944B Assy: 3335302, Cust: 39057 with the Exhaust pipe exiting to the front of the coach at a slight offset angle to the driver’s side of I am guessing 2 degrees to 6 degrees. The pipe circumference is approximately 9 ½ inches. I do have Air over Hydraulic brakes so an air supply is readily available. Do you make a turbo connected Exhaust brake to fit my application? Will it interface directly with the Allison to force the programed downshifts? Thank you.