Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
03heritagerider

Default Things that make you go HUH???

When we bought our coach, we installed vent hoods so we could leave them open in warm weather when it rains. Unfortunately, the one that covered the kitchen vent presented a problem. It is a thermostatically controlled power vent. Flip a switch, the lid opens and it turns the fan on or off automatically at a selected tempreature. Problem was, the hood did not allow the vent to open fully and caused the motor to grind as it pushed the lid against the inside of the hood. End result, the motor burned out.

After replacing the motor last week I removed the hood. Since the power vent also has a rain sensor, I figured if it rained it would close itself and prevent the rain from coming in.

Well, the rig is parked in the driveway in the back of our house and it's been raining a lot lately. As I looked out the window, I noticed the kitchen vent cover going up and down, up and down, up and down.

I reached for an umbrella and went out to investigate. Shortly afterward I realized the problem. The rain sensor is located in a position that is covered when the vent is closed. So, when it starts to rain, the sensor does it's job and closes the lid. As soon as the lid closes, the sensor thinks the rain has stopped and opens the lid again. Before it can fully open, the rain hits the sensor, reverses the action, and down goes the lid. Thanks to mother nature, this new vent motor has been getting a regular workout.

When we have some dry weather, I'm going to see if I can move the sensor to the OUTSIDE of the cover. Probably would have been a good idea if they did that to begin with.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
stonesfan

Default Re: Things that make you go HUH???

Hope nothing got WET inside! But it must have been interesting seeing that Vent Cover going Up & Down.......................

Stones Fan
stonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote