Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
hyall

Default two ?'s what gets started and charged

On the Tourmaster T40B, what batteries start the gen? inverter batteries since there right above the gen? or what and is there anything that maintains the chassis batteries when parked and plugged into shore
Russ
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
RJ82much

Russ,

* The house batteries start the generator.
* Nothing maintains the engine battery if the engine is not running.

Depending on the equipment installed in your coach, there can be automated electronics that can provide cross-charging of the battery systems after the primary charge function is accomplished. I don't have any such feature on my Sun Voyager, nor do I have the invertor system. I'm not sure if Gulf Stream ever includes the automatic cross-charging equipment as standard or as an option.

It's my understanding that the invertor batteries are a 3rd system, most likely charged from the same convertor that charges the house batteries. The purpose of the invertor batteries are only to change DC to AC power.

What we all should have is a dashboard mounted "Battery" switch. This switch ties the 2 battery systems together while the switch is depressed. Using this, you can charge the house batteries from the engine alternator. Or you can charge the engine battery from the shore-powered/generator-powered convertor (house battery system). Just use caution to not run-down your good battery by closing into a dead one with no way of recharging either (engine off, generator off, no shore power available, & no jumper cables for your toad - then U R $crued )

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #3
rdlamb

Hi Bob, Russ:
I have a Tour Master, and wondered the same thing. What charges what batteries and how come GS doesn't have a manual that tells me this information.

The house batteries do indeed start the generator. Perhaps that is the main reason why they are the combo, starting/deep cycle type. The house batteries are charged by the converter, probably the Progressive 80 amp model. Located under the bed. I recommend that you go to the Progressive web site and purchase the Charge Wizard. It plugs into the converter, and greatly reduces the amount of boil over your batteries produce if you are plugged into shore power for long periods of time.

The engine batteries are charged exclusively by the engine's alternator. They will drain in about a week if you are living in your coach, hooked up to shore power. There is a switch as you exit the coach, to disconnect the batteries (chassis). The disadvantage is everything connected to the batteries will require being reset, time and date re-entered, etc. as if you removed the engine batteries.

A better solution (IMHO), is to bore a hole through the compartment wall between the batteries and your electrical cord. The outlet located above the coiled electrical cord is usually used to plug in your engine heater. I plugged in a Battery Minder, and ran the cord through the bored-hole (with a rubber grommet to prevent cutting into the cord) and used the eye-cord connectors to transfer the charge to the batteries. This works extremely well, and I have camped for 3 months without starting the coach, with no drain on the engine batteries even though I never use the cut off switch (near the door).

Finally, your inverter batteries are charged by the Xantrex inverter located in the compartment under the driver's seat. The Xantrex receives charging power from the alternator (you'll notice the charge lights on the panel are on when the engine is running), as well as from shore power. The dynamics of the Xantrex are detailed on the Xantrex site.

Safe Travels
Rick

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 AM   #4
RJ82much

Rick,

Excellent EXCELLENT description.

Thank you

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
jshelley13

Default 2007 gulfstream T 40 A 42'

Rick,
can you put in laymans terms how & what the xantrex invertor does , & does it get power from somewhere for restoring batterys? thks. Jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
rdlamb

Jim:
The Xantrex, inverter, provides 110 volt power, from your 12 volt batteries. The process is highly complex, and the source of much debate over the type of battery you should use.
In the TM, the inverter batteries are under the front hood. I have 4.
The Xantrex has a power in line that it uses like a battery charger to charge the inverter batteries. Power source to the Xantrex comes from the engine alternator, or shore power.
The Xantrex site is a good source of information.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
jshelley13

Default 2007 gulfstream T 40 A 42'

thks Rick, & I am going to their site.....Jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
jhan

On my 06 TM T36, the generator is started by the chassis battery. I found this out when I left the motorhome in front of my house for 3 weeks with no shore power. I plug into shore power and my inverter and house batteries were charged, but chassis batteries were still dead; and the generator still won't turn until I use the switch that ties the house and chassis batteries together. Luckily it was parked in front of my house, else, like Bob said, I'd be screwed.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
rdlamb

Hi Jhan:
Prior to my enlightenment, where I installed a Battery Minder that slow trickles the chassis batteries, I camped for 2 weeks and discovered my chassis batteries were dead, and I could not start my engine.

Prior to that, I had brought in the slides, and raised the jacks. So the slides and jacks are not on the chassis batteries, at least on the 07 TM.

The generator started, so the generator is not powered by the chassis batteries.

Ergo, as far as I know, the chassis batteries only power the engine. Which makes sense. The Cummins has a 24 volt starter. Your chassis batteries are in series, and trying to take 12 volts off that system will require some sort of isolator, or converter, or another means to isolate only 12 volts.

Makes you wonder.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
jhan

Hi rdlamb,
You really makes me wish I have gotten the Cummins. I have a Cat C7. And the batteries are in parallel. But your setup makes much more sense. If the chassis batteries are dead, at least you can start the generator and plug in a charger to charge up the chassis batteries. I'll have to look into changing the generator to use the house battery.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
rdlamb

Jhan:
If your electrical cord is similar to my TM, it is in the compartment next to the coach & chassis batteries. In my compartment is a 110v outlet, to plug in the engine heater should one need to do so. Also in this compartment are the connections for the telephone, cable, and outside satellite dish.

I bored a 3/4" hole through the compartments (2 walls separated by about 1" of space, to the chassis batteries. I then placed rubber grommets, rimmed with silicone, on the raw holes. Through this opening I fed the Battery Minder Plus connectors, which I attached to the chassis batteries. I then velcro'd the Minder to the outlet. My chassis batteries stay charged, de-sulfer'd and conditioned. We sometimes sit for 4-6 months without starting the Cummins, but the batteries stay charged.
Just a thought.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
hyall

Our unit sits at times up to 6 months and I found that the converter/charger charges the house batteries I installed the echo-charge to share the charging with the chassis batteries since they sit next to each other works great no work

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/103/p/1/pt/8/product.asp
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 AM   #13
rdlamb

Hyall:
Neat idea, how did you install the Echo charger and how does it charge the chassis batteries?
I was thinking about the converter, which is responsible for charging the coach (House) batteries. Mine (Progressive 9000), has the capability to charge up to 8 batteries. I was trying to deal with logistics, then decided to utilize the engine heater plug for a Battery Minder, as a quicker means to the same end.

But, this looks great. Details please,
Thanks

Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
rdlamb

Hyall: Sorry, posted, then answered my own question. I went to the Xantrex site, and read the instillation pdf. This is one neat system.

Your converter charges the coach batteries, so, unlike the Xantrex diagram, your "Echo" is being powered by the Progressive converter under your bed.

If you have not, then consider the Progressive "Charge Wizzard". I got tire of cleaning the white deposits of battery acid out of my battery compartment. The constant washing of the neutralized acid / cleaner solution from the compartment was beginning to rust the compartment floor. The Wizzard greatly reduced the acid's formation. I eliminated it by changing to sealed, AGM batteries. Expensive, but in the long run very much worth it.
Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
hyall

Its simple, attach to wall between the batteries and comes pre wire with necessary connector screw under battery clamps it has all the necessary electronic to prevent back feed and over load, monitors and higher amp charging great thing reads the specs

took me 1/2 hour to install unitizes the converter charger /Wizard

I also have the Wizard on my converter another great maintenance device