Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
rjf7g

Default Hot Water Heater Question

I recently placed an order for an Innsbruck 36FRS with a front queen in place of the bunks and dinette that are the default. I also requested an upgraded hot water heater and it was confirmed they could put a 10 or 12 gallon (ipo 6 gallon) hot water heater in the unit. As they were getting ready to put the unit on the line, the factory called my dealer to say they couldn't do this. He tried to get them to customize the wardrobe where the hot water heater goes as we had indicated we didn't need that storage space. The factory said no to that as well.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Has anyone up-sized or added a second hot water heater in a GS travel trailer?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Timothy

I had asked if they could do some changes in bunkhouse (add more wardrobe space and panty space for kitchen, eliminate rear door in 1/2 bath) on a Sedona model, I was told the floor plans are static and no changes can be made. I made a lot of changes myself on my Canyon Trail without any help from the factory.
Your dealer may be able to do the water heater upgrade, just have them ship it with the unit and leave the 6 gallon out. Or tell them they if they can't keep their end of the deal you'll look at another make and forget about Gulf Stream.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
rjf7g

Default Hot Water Heater Question

There are several manufacturers that make 36 - 40 ft travel trailers with two queen bedrooms -- I have researched this for a long time, been to a lot of dealers and toured dozens of units! I have to say that I am going with GS for the DEALER, not the floor plan. He also sells Sunset Creek by Sunnybrook RV, but they don't offer this floor plan or any thing close to it.

I am confident my dealer will do what he can to help us make an after market change if it turns out we can't live with a 6 gallon water heater.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
earljan34

rjf7g, There is only 3" in height and 1 1/4" in depth between the 6gal & 10 gal. But you will have to enlarge the height of the opening this may cut into some frame work that supports the side walls that is most likely why the factory does not want to change it more $ in labor to customize.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
rjf7g

Default Another thought...

I understand the hot water heater will be in the base of the wardrobe in the middle of the trailer, sitting on the linoleum. I am thinking I may be able to remove the bottom of the wardrobe and access the hot water heater from inside the trailer. If need be, I could raise the bottom of the wardrobe to accomodate a larger hot water heater. Apprently the factory isn't willing to do this kind of customization of the wardrobe.

I will keep my fingers crossed that a new 6 gallon hot water heater will serve our purposes better than the 1999 one we are used to and that if not, I can do the simple fix of running it from propane instead of electricity. I will only tear out the floor of the wardrobe if neither the newness nor the gas produces enough hot water for dish washing and warm outside showers.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Coolbreeze

RJ,

If you run the electric and gas at the same time the 6 gallon will put out a lot of hot water. Seems like you really want the 10 gallon but I think you will be surprised at what the 6 gallon can deliver.

Mike C
Old 02-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
rjf7g

Cool (pun intended)...can't wait to get the trailer in and give it a go. It will replace a 27' 99 Citation K with no slides, so it will be a mansion! It will be installed on a permanent site that we have seasonal access to right on Smith Mountain Lake near Roanoke, VA.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
Coolbreeze

Just saw something else you may be interested in. Atwood has a 6 Gallon WH that puts out 9 gallons. It is called and "XT" version. Just saw it in Camping World.

Mike C
Old 02-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
rjf7g

Default Thanks...

Thanks...I will see how the 6 gal does on electricity, then on electricity and gas, then, I'll go looking for other options! Just read that it was so cold and the snow drifts were so high in Elkhart that several of the manufacturers shut down yesterday. My unit was built last week...wonder where it's sitting right now????