Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
psdtime
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Default Crescendo Slide Won't Work

My 2005 Gulfstream Crescendo's has two slides. A front, large one that is hydraulic and a smaller rear one in the bedroom that contains the dresser and closets. That slide uses and electric motor. When I went camping last weekend and tried to extend the smaller slide, the motor would just run freely. There is a hole along the bottom of the slide that allows for a ratchet to fit on for manual extension, which worked to extend and retract to room just fine. I think that the problem is either a set screw or a broken key on the motor shaft. I need to get it fix ASAP since the motor is the only thing that keeps the slide from extending. Luckily the ratchet and socket I used fit snug enough to stay on while it was driving and prevented the slide from going out. I just don't know how to properly access the motor and gears. Any help would be appreciated.
psdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 288
Default I got this one!

OK;


Lift up the bed. My coach has a warning that the under bed area is not a storage area. My Converter is under the bed too. There is a "shear pin" in the gear that attaches to the motor. You will need to get the old one out. My coach is not here so I can't send pictures. The pin can be replaced with a brass screw or a cotter pin of the correct diameter. After you get the old one out of course. I found a cotter key in mine when I got the coach. My electric room would bind and even though it never did shear the cotter key the guy that looked at it said it should have been a brass shear pin. I am sure you will find the motor just spinning in the gear. It is not a difficult fix. I had a soft floor and had to replace a good 3/4 of the bedroom floor.



Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
psdtime
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
OK;


Lift up the bed. My coach has a warning that the under bed area is not a storage area. My Converter is under the bed too. There is a "shear pin" in the gear that attaches to the motor. You will need to get the old one out. My coach is not here so I can't send pictures. The pin can be replaced with a brass screw or a cotter pin of the correct diameter. After you get the old one out of course. I found a cotter key in mine when I got the coach. My electric room would bind and even though it never did shear the cotter key the guy that looked at it said it should have been a brass shear pin. I am sure you will find the motor just spinning in the gear. It is not a difficult fix. I had a soft floor and had to replace a good 3/4 of the bedroom floor.

Sudsy
Thanks for the reply, does your bed slide out? In my RV it is just the closet and the dresser. There is access to a metal plate through the bottom of the closet. I can see 4 bolts in it, while I was camping I was afraid to pull them off, and get in over my head. I'm not sure if that those four bolts are just holding a cover plate, or a lot more. Thanks for the tip about the cotter pin, if I get it apart, I will want to have something to put in there at least temporarily. Do you know what company made that slide?
Thanks again.
psdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Sudsy
Senior Member
 
Sudsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mechanicsville, Md.
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdtime View Post
Thanks for the reply, does your bed slide out? In my RV it is just the closet and the dresser. There is access to a metal plate through the bottom of the closet. I can see 4 bolts in it, while I was camping I was afraid to pull them off, and get in over my head. I'm not sure if that those four bolts are just holding a cover plate, or a lot more. Thanks for the tip about the cotter pin, if I get it apart, I will want to have something to put in there at least temporarily. Do you know what company made that slide?
Thanks again.

Yes my bed slides out. I'm sorry to say but I haven't a clue as to accessing the motor in your unit. Is it hanging from the metal plate you describe or is that just going to get you into the motor area? If the later then my instructions on the gear and pin are accurate. Hopefully the motor will be right there and the gear will be apparent. I would look under the motor and see if there are remains of whatever was in the gear for a shear pin. Now my coach was 11 years old when I got it. That area had been the focal point of some problem and it was apparent that someone else had been there before me. (I found this everywhere I found a problem) I may be that there was a set screw that stripped out and my PO had drilled it and pinned it with the cotter key. He did a lot of tinkering and had a lot of tools I think.



Sudsy
__________________
2005 Sun Voyager Workhorse W24 with 8.1 ltr Chevy. Allison 2100 transmission. Full body paint.
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
psdtime
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Yes my bed slides out. I'm sorry to say but I haven't a clue as to accessing the motor in your unit. Is it hanging from the metal plate you describe or is that just going to get you into the motor area? If the later then my instructions on the gear and pin are accurate. Hopefully the motor will be right there and the gear will be apparent. I would look under the motor and see if there are remains of whatever was in the gear for a shear pin. Now my coach was 11 years old when I got it. That area had been the focal point of some problem and it was apparent that someone else had been there before me. (I found this everywhere I found a problem) I may be that there was a set screw that stripped out and my PO had drilled it and pinned it with the cotter key. He did a lot of tinkering and had a lot of tools I think.



Sudsy
I can see the motor, but cannot see the gears. I can reach my fingers behind the metal plate and I think I can feel a chain and maybe a sprocket, but I'm not totally sure. Manually screwing it out with a ratchet, it couldn't be any smoother, so I don't know why it broke, but it is 13 years old now. Thanks for you assistance.
psdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
Frutza
Senior Member
 
Frutza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 151
Default

Intresting, my 8356 has the motor above the closet, there's 3 panels up there remove for access ?
__________________
Mike & Becky
2005 Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #7
psdtime
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Intresting, my 8356 has the motor above the closet, there's 3 panels up there remove for access ?
That is strange! I'm sure mine is on the bottom. Do you have the little cabinets under the closet? The are like shoe storage maybe? That is where my motor is located. Possibly a mid-year design change. I'm not sure what month mine was made.
psdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
Frutza
Senior Member
 
Frutza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 151
Default

Mine has 4 cables, on the outside, its called a BAL Power jamb, I do know they make it both ways, just wouldn't have thought Gulfstream would use both,

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...ice-manual.pdf

Yes, have shoe storage under the closet, just like it shows in the brochure

I did have to replace the shear pin on a trailer before, it was no big deal, did it while installed
__________________
Mike & Becky
2005 Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Restorium
Senior Member
 
Restorium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdtime View Post
I can see the motor, but cannot see the gears. I can reach my fingers behind the metal plate and I think I can feel a chain and maybe a sprocket, but I'm not totally sure. Manually screwing it out with a ratchet, it couldn't be any smoother, so I don't know why it broke, but it is 13 years old now. Thanks for you assistance.
Careful with your fingers in there by the chain and sprocket. They could be binding and turn any time. You can lose a finger quick on a chain and sprocket.
__________________
1999 Sunsport with Ford Chassis
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
psdtime
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Mine has 4 cables, on the outside, its called a BAL Power jamb, I do know they make it both ways, just wouldn't have thought Gulfstream would use both,

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/ac...ice-manual.pdf

Yes, have shoe storage under the closet, just like it shows in the brochure

I did have to replace the shear pin on a trailer before, it was no big deal, did it while installed
I have only owned this RV for about 2 years, and this is the first problem with the slide. Looking at the attachment that you sent, I have a feeling that mine is a older version. I do not have the spring attachment that is shown. There is place to put a socket on in a hole in the slide right below the closet. It is a little tight to get to the motor because you have to access it from that shoe closet and it is a bit of a reach to get to it.
psdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.