Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #81
TXDego

Default Re: Gulf Stream Visa

Yes Marvin, that is about what I was told, $78 for lift and about 1 hour to install. I have looked over the lift thing a lot, and not sure what they charge for install, earlier in the thread someone said they paid $450 for the lift installed, but it is very easy to install. If they were charging you $80/hour it might be worth the $80, but if it was more than $100 for the labor, doing it yourself maybe a better solution. There is only a couple of bolts on each side to unbolt, jack up the rail that sits on the axle, put in the lift, rebolt up. The lift is just a 12" long piece of metal that just sits on top of the axle, in between the frame rail & axle, so everything involved is just in one place on each side.

good luck!
TXDego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #82
TXDego

With regards to generators, tried to run A/C with Honda 2000i which I already owned, no luck would run for a little but kept blowing breaker on generator. Went ahead and bought the Yamaha 2400i, it runs everything just fine, or I guess I should say was able to run A/C & Fridge off generator, did not try to run microwave at same time. My guess is that running the Micro, A/C and Fridge all at same time might be pushing my luck.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #83
Marvin

Default Re: Gulf Stream Visa Lift Kit

Yesterday I ordered a lift kit from Gulf Stream for our 23RBK. Cost for kit was $98.57 with tax and shipping. Should be here next week so I can see if I want to install or have dealer install. Gulf Stream service rep said it takes around an hour to install.

Marvin
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #84
deltamark

Wow, if it only takes an hour to install, then I may have gotten smoked on the labor! I think I ended up paying around $400 total, but I have the 19RSD. Maybe it's more difficult on that unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin
Yesterday I ordered a lift kit from Gulf Stream for our 23RBK. Cost for kit was $98.57 with tax and shipping. Should be here next week so I can see if I want to install or have dealer install. Gulf Stream service rep said it takes around an hour to install.

Marvin
deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #85
toaobigal

All the 19 feet Visa share the same frame and the same axle.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #86
Marvin

Default Generator Gulf Stream Visa

I fired up my Honda 2000I today to see if it would handle the air conditioner in our 23RBK. Well it worked great and also had the fridge on 110 with a couple lites on and never had a problem. When we had the Scamp I could run the air and coffee maker but would have to shut off the air to run the micro wave. Something like the show Green Acres years ago plug in A but to use C you had to unplug A and B.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #87
KristinU

Hi All,
I posted over on the facebook group, but thought I'd check in here too...anyone know offhand the width of the little closets on either side of the bed? And any clever mods for making that space more useful? I was thinking of using those hanging shoe racks for rolled clothes storage.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
My camping party: Me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), DK9 ('11)
https://www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
https://www.visacampers.proboards.com
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #88
toaobigal

I checked and it's 13 inches wide, on each side. I'll give some thoughts on mods for those closets, I wear glasses and I never know where to put them so they'll be easy to find in the dark... Your big day is coming Kristen, and soon too.
toaobigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #89
KristinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaobigal
I checked and it's 13 inches wide, on each side. I'll give some thoughts on mods for those closets, I wear glasses and I never know where to put them so they'll be easy to find in the dark... Your big day is coming Kristen, and soon too.
Great, thanks Toaobigal. They're not huge, but wider than I thought! As far as glasses go - I'm thinking I might make some sort of bedside pouch for on the little wall/side of the closet. Maybe velcro'ed on our something? Or a high little shelf above? I need a place to put my glasses, watch and earrings, and my cell phone/alarm clock. I also thought of maybe cutting into the side of the closet and building a little recessed shelf, but I don't know that I'd want to sacrifice any closet space.

And yes, the coutdown is on...5 more days!

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 06-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #90
TXDego

Wanted to give y'all and update on my lift project. I ended up getting my lift done by a local trailer shop for $200 pars & labor. The dealer/factory sells the kit for $78, then you still have to add in labor. Since I wanted a 6" lift in lieu of a 3" lift that the dealer/factory sells, going to a trailer shop was really my only options, and when I say trailer shop, this shop does not sell travel trailers or RV stuff, they build, fabricate, and work on hauling trailers. They seem to be good at this as there was 4 or 5 travel trailers there getting worked on when I brought mine in. When I told my buddy who has a 5th wheel where I took my trailer, he said that's where he went, and he tells me everyone in his RV group uses them as well, so I guess I got lucky and picked the right place.

My take away after this, if you get away from the travel trailer/RV type shops, you get shops that are business of working on trailers and know the mechanics of trailers, you will probably get a better job and a better price.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #91
brains77396

I wonder what the difference is in lift kits between the 19 ft models and the 23 ft models. The undercarriage and suspension are built completely different. The only way I can think of to lift the 23 ft models is with a longer spring hanger. For my taste I don't mine to sit any higher, for the higher, the less stable. The 19 ft models are much lower than the 23, so low they didn't have room for a external step. Instead of raising the 23 ft, install a set on weld on rollers on the rear bumper.
putting some sort of block between the spring and axle would also work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin

Marvin
Old 07-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #92
buckcooper

We had our maidin voyage the first week of July, we were out for about 9 days. We bounced around northern Indiana, Ohio and Penn. The TT towed very nice, gas milage was on average 4 mpg better than we got towing our Starcraft. We had put the lift kit in and we only had one issue with the height, one of the spots we backed into was on an incline, we actually drug the sway bar and not the jacks. Over all we are very pleased with the Gulfstream, the space was about right for the two of us and the air conditioner kept it cool enough inside, although it is pretty loud. The only other issue we had was we had a minor leak under the kitchen and bathroom sinks, but I tightened the fittings, problem solved. One thing I discovered when I was cleaning up the water, under the sink, below the cabinet and below the microwave is open space. I think the one under the cabinet will be converted into a drawer and the one under the microwave will get a door so I can use it to store things I don't need often. I have to be careful to keep access to these area's because the wiring and plumbing is there as well.
Anyway don't want to take up too much space just wanted to share our experiance.
By the way ours is a 19erg.
buckcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #93
bomert

Send a message via MSN to bomert

I really like the Visa 23bhd and looking at the floorplan it looks to be a true walk around bed but when looking at pictures it seems that the bed is right up against the dinette. Is there room to walk around that side of the bed? I haven't seen one in person yet, so I want to be sure it's the one before I drive a few hundred miles. thanks in advance. Bob
bomert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #94
brains77396

Yes, you will be able to walk around. Not a ton of room, but doable.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #95
KristinU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomert
I really like the Visa 23bhd and looking at the floorplan it looks to be a true walk around bed but when looking at pictures it seems that the bed is right up against the dinette. Is there room to walk around that side of the bed? I haven't seen one in person yet, so I want to be sure it's the one before I drive a few hundred miles. thanks in advance. Bob
We have our bed all puffed up with two memory foam toppers that are a little too long and a tucked in quilt and at this point I do have to turn sideways to get by...but I think I could walk normal before we "supplemented" the bed. I'll measure it tomorrow for you and report back.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #96
bomert

Send a message via MSN to bomert

Thanks to both of you, I was looking at Flagstaff and Rockwood but I didn't like the way the door opened up right at the bed. We have a 10 yr old daughter and she just loves the bunk beds, by the way Kristen, I love your blog, keep the adventures coming. Bob
bomert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #97
KristinU

Hi Bob,
It is 12" from the end of the mattress to the back off the dinette. I also snapped a pic for you if you would like to see. Shoot me a private message with your email address. Feel free to ask any other specifics on the 23BHD.

2012 Visa 23BHD
2007 Toyota Tundra
Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #98
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu

I decided to break down and buy the lift kit. When I called I was informed the lift kit only worked if I had the Lippert Chassis. I can't find the chassis manufacturer name anywhere on the chassis. How do you know who the chassis supplier is? Has anyone tried an aftermarket solution?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #99
sam75

Don,
For your info: We bought our 2010 19ERD used, and it did not have the stock lift kit (which bolts onto the pre-drilled trailer frame and axle flange holes), but looks like a trailer hitch or welding shop simply cut 2 lengths of 2x3 rectangular tube (I can measure the thickness if you want to go this route) about a foot long, and welded one on each side of the trailer between axle and trailer frame - welded the top of the tube to the trailer frame along both edges, then welded the L-shaped axle flanges to the side and bottom of the tube. The downside with this is that if I ever need to replace the axle assembly, it's back to a welding shop for cut and grind...
Check the axle itself - it should have a label. Ours does - it says "Lippert Components, Inc. (LCI1.com) 3500 lbs gross NV# 231738, part no. LC135-DTB-84-63.25-ID-10D-LPIB-L-545. I don't think it matters who made the chassis - if you have a Lippert axle, I would think the lift kit would fit, but if it doesn't, have it welded wherever the holes don't align up.
If you would like a picture of ours, I'd be happy to take a shot of it for you. email me at [email protected]
sam75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #100
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu

Thanks Sam I appreciate it. I went ahead and ordered the lift kit from Gulf Stream so If it's the wrong one I may contact you for that picture