Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
03heritagerider

Default Generator Issue

My generator runs, my inverter works, and new house batteries hold a good charge.

However, when I run the generator, it doesn't seem to be producing any power. If I turn on the inverter, I can get 110 power, but when only generator is on, no 110.

Any ideas what/how to check or what problem can be? I don't see any fuses or breakers that could be blown, but then again I may not be checking the right things.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
11B

There's a breaker on my gen set that trips from time to time. Have you checked that one (on mine its right on top of generator).
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
03heritagerider

Thanks for the tip. I was unaware of a breaker on the gen. I'll go check in the morning and let you know.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
03heritagerider

It finally quit raining and I went out and fired up the gen. Previously, the way I always knew the power came on was to watch the microwave. When the clock started flashing zero, I knew the power was 110.

Today, it didn't come on. I went out and flipped the breaker on the gen and it had no effect. I hit the "Power Share" button on the control panel and the panel lit up. After about 5 seconds, the panel lights went out.

I don't know if it was my imagination, but the breaker switch on the gen seemed like you could trip it too easily. All I had to do was touch it with my finger and it went off. Do the switches go bad, or is it just wishful thinking on my part?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
GO BLUE

I had two breakers on my gen when one pops I dont get all circuits and no a/c...make sure you reset both......Jim K
Old 04-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

Locate your transfer switch and check with a meter there to see if your generator is putting out 120 volts at input line from generator. If it is then your transfer switch is not working and switching from shorepower line to generator power.

Of course if you are not comfortable or familiar with working with 120 volt live circuits, then take it to a professsional.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #7
03heritagerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Locate your transfer switch and check with a meter there to see if your generator is putting out 120 volts at input line from generator. If it is then your transfer switch is not working and switching from shorepower line to generator power.

Of course if you are not comfortable or familiar with working with 120 volt live circuits, then take it to a professsional.

Ron
Sorry I haven't been keeping up on this. Death in family kept me away for a while. Anyway, what is a transfer switch, what am I looking for and where might I begin to look for it?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
GStream40
Site Team

You can click on the link below at Solar Sellers that sell transfer switches to see what one looks like. Usually they are located under the bed or in the case of our coach under the cedar chect at the foot of the bed when the slide is extended. Mine went out last year and I replaced it and also repaired the old one by replacing the time delay circuit board.
Ron
http://www.solarseller.com/iota_auto...tm#its___50_r_
Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
03heritagerider

Thanks for the info. I'll try to check it this week. If it is registering 120v at the input indicating the transfer switch is bad, should I replace the time delay circuit board first or just repalce the whole thing? And would I be correct in assuming that I will need to remove the cover from the transfer switch to test the input line?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

First you need to locate the transfer switch. Find out the make and model.
To test, you will have to remove the cover, test for 120 volts on each leg at the incoming line from generator, if there, test for 120 volts at each leg on the output side of the switch. If not there then the transfer switch is bad.

It could be just burnt contacts, not allowing the current to flow. It could be a bad Time Delay Module if it is an Iota Switch, that was what was wrong with mine. I purchased and replaced the whole transfer switch and then ordered a new Time Delay Module circuit board.

If it is an Iota brand, they have some test procedures on their website.

Like I stated in my first reply to you, if you are not comfortable working on live circuits, then take it to a prfessional. The testing has to be done with the generator running with two live 120 volt circuits coming into the transfer switch from the genny. Be very, very careful!!!!

Ron
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #11
03heritagerider

Thanks for the schooling. Your info is very helpful and clear. I have no problem working around live lines. I'll be sure everything is off and shore power is disconnected before I remove the cover. Lots going on here now so it may be a few days before I can get to it. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again
Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
03heritagerider

O.K. I couldn't wait. Located the transfer switch under the bed. Got the cover off (that was no easy task!). It is an Iota Model ITS-50R.

It looks like a fairly simple process to swap out the old one for a new one.

Anyway, I don't have a meter, just a test light. I followed the schematic under the cover and there are 3 sets of lines. GENERATOR - POWERCORD - PANEL.

With the generator running and shore power disconnected the GENERATOR lines light up the tester. The POWERCORD and PANEL lines show no signs of life.

With shore power connected and generator off, the POWERCORD and PANEL lines light up the tester.

So, I assume that your diagnosis is correct. Now Doc, the recommended treatment. Change the entire transfer switch ($115.00) or just the time delay module board ($16.00)?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
rdlamb

Hi Heritage:

Glad Ron directed you through that problem. I had the same thing occur to me as well, so I suspect IOA has a slew of poor transfer switches.

I do not recall the brand I bought, through Camping World, but chose to replace mine. I might have repaired it but I noticed others having the same problem and thought that going through the procedure twice was not optimal.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
GStream40
Site Team

When my Transfer Switch went down I decided to replace the entire unit.
After I replaced it, then I decided to figure out what was wrong with the old one. What I found was the Time Delay Module circuit board had a burnt "hole" in it. So I decided to order a new circuit board/Time Delay Module, and installed it in the old switch. I then tested it with a test wiring setup and it works great. So now I have a spare in case it is ever needed.

I have found the best way to make sure something doesn't ever break down is to carry a spare.

I found Solar Seller to be a great company to deal with. You are correct, the cover on the original Iota switch was a real bear to remove. On the replacement it was redesigned and much easier.

The swap of the transfer switches wasn't that hard. I believe it took me about 30 minutes.

Ron
Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
rdlamb

You are right Ron, carry a spare and never need it.

Under my bed are the transfer switch, the converter, and several electrical connections. After viewing the situation, I moved the transfer switch farther from the converter. I also drilled a vent hole into the compartment wherein the electrical shore cord lives. My thought was to provide some means of heat dissipation.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
03heritagerider

I ordered the new transfer switch from solar seller today. After I replace the old one, I'll do an "Autopsy" on it and see if I should order a time delay module to repair it or order a second switch for a spare.

I want to thank all of you, especially Ron, for your helpful info. Not only did you save me a ton of diagnostic and labor charges, you taught me something new. One more thing I know how to fix on my own.

Thank you!

I'll post a notice when the part arrives and is installed.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #17
03heritagerider

......................................EUREKA!..... .............................

The new transfer switch arrived late yesterday. This morning I pulled the old one and installed the new! It all works exactly like it should.

Start to finish about 90 minutes. The hardest part of the process was the unyielding rigidity of the wires.

Again, I must give huge thanks to all of you on this forum that provided me with your sage advice. You folks are the best and I'm glad you're here and willing to help.

THANK YOU!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
GStream40
Site Team

Glad to hear that you were able to get it done and best of all it works as it should.

Always happy to pass on any knowledge that I might have to help another out from my past experiences.

Ron