Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #1

Default Canyon Trail 30 FBRG

I have just purchased a Canyon Trail 30 FBRG. It looks really nice. But are there any gotchyas I should be aware of?
241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Timothy

The biggest problem I had was very little heat to the front bedroom and too much to the bunk room. Dealer changed the ducting around and cured the problem. Mine is an 04 model so I would imagine this problem had been addressed.
I had problems with the wiring that went under the slide room becoming tangled in the slide mechanism. My trailer was then out of warranty and GS didn't offer any help, I ended up repairing the wiring myself, had no brakes!!!
Other then that was mostly minor stuff, loose screws, remounted some drawer slides so they worked better and added a ton of stuff.
I never had a problem with Gulf Stream taking care of any warranty issues, they even did more then I expected a couple of times so make sure you check everything over good before your warranty is up.
For the most part its a pretty good rig and holds up well, I have towed ours at least 10,000 miles if not more.
One last thing, if your trailer had Carlisle tires on it, take them off and throw them in the trash and get some good years. All four of mine failed I had to replace two fender in two years, Carlisle covered the damage but not worth the hassle. Of the two that didn't blow out one was changed when the rig was a month old, had a huge bubble on the side, and the other was changed when I noticed the tread seperating while in Utah last summer.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the info, it is appreciated.
241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Coolbreeze

I have Ultra's on my 5'er. Don't even want to think how poorly they are made. Guess it will be gravy though if they are at least better then Carlisle's.

Mike
Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
Coolbreeze

Update--- One of the tires blew out. The 4 on the trailer were Ultra's the spare was a Carlisle. The treads are the exact same design, the exact same. Guess the Chinese company who makes them ran out of orders from Carlisle and put the Ultra name on them. I replace all with Maxxis. Seemed they had better ratings then the Goodyear Marathons at least when used on a 5'er.

Mike C
Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #6
Timothy

Good move, I replaced my Craplisles with Denman load range E's. I would have went with Maxxis too, but I could not find any dealers around here. I had Good Year marathons on my last two travel trailers and never had any tire problems.
Your right about the Chinese manufacturers, when I was looking for tires I went to a dealer and he had some called Supercargo, said he never had any problems reported, but when I looked at them they were made in China and had looked exactly like my Carlisles, right down to the font used on the side of the tires.....I passed!
Did the blow out do any damage?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
scottc79

i have cooper tires on my camper and have found no problems with them
scottc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
Coolbreeze

No blow out damage. In fact it wasn't a blow out at all. I installed shocks, took the trailer for a ride and decided to stop at a CAT scale and get it all weighted out. After I pulled the trailer back onto the lawn I noticed one of the tires was going flat. I believe it punctured on the wood blocks I park the trailer on. Weird but I have no better explanation.

Mike C
Old 05-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #9
ckrobbins

Hi All ;
We've had our Canyon Trail since the end of Oct. '06. We really like our unit, but were are not quite as happy with the dealer service. I think most of our problem was the service agent that we were dealing with, but when that part of the equasion had been eliminated, further repairs went much smoother. Our unit was a show model and had quite a bit of foot traffic which gave us a good deal. This also brought to light a few problems that are being taken care of under warranty.
One problem of facrory origin was not getting heat in the bedroom or in the bunk area. Get this, the main duct was not cut out at the flex tube connections, and the knock-out at the furnace was not knocked out for the bunks! Heats good now.
We did have some water leaks from cross-threading that I took care of myself.
We have less than 1000 miles on our ULTRA tires but keeping a close eye on them for any problems ( Thanks for the heads up).
Reese PRO 15,000 Lb Hitch
ckrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote