Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #1
Truck55

Default 04 Sun Voyager brakes

Anyone ever rebuilt a brake caliper? Is it hard to do or should I just by new ones?

Thanks

Dan
Truck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #2
Restorium

Buy a new one.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #3
Truck55

I replaced all 4 calipers. Now if I can just find the master cylinder so I can bleed them. Then I shouldn't have any more brake overheating
Old 06-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
Truck55

Default New calipers

I replaced all 4 calipers. Bleed all air out of lines. Good stream of fluid at each caliper. But brake still feels spongy. Wasn't like that before I changed calipers.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck55 View Post
I replaced all 4 calipers. Bleed all air out of lines. Good stream of fluid at each caliper. But brake still feels spongy. Wasn't like that before I changed calipers.

Any help would be appreciated

Did you buy the calipers "loaded". That's with pads and fluid already in the calipers. If not then keep bleeding. it's a lot larger system than a car. If you can go rent an air bleeder. It replaces fluid as you crack each caliper open. This also serves to flush out the old fluid to a point.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #6
Restorium

If you let the master cylinder go too low and it drew in air then there's probably some air trapped in the valves. Could take a lot of bleeding to get it out.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Truck55

Bought and installed unloaded calipers
Old 06-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Restorium

Quote:
Bought and installed unloaded calipers
Yup, that's how I always do it.

If you can get the system to gravity bleed from the furthest caliper then it might bleed itself out. A vacuum bleeder hooked to the bleeder screw works good. Once you get it flowing sometimes it will keep flowing on it's own. Let that go for a couple quarts and then try it. MAKE SURE the master cylinder doesn't go too low.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #9
Truck55

I bled them twice yesterday. 5 times today. 3 times manually and twice with a hand vacuum pump. Still have spongy pedal. If I pump it one time I have good pedal that holds and doesn't go down at all. When I manually bleed them it shoots 3' with strong stream. Before I changed calipers the brakes were fine just were sticking and getting hot.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
Sudsy

Quote:
I bled them twice yesterday. 5 times today. 3 times manually and twice with a hand vacuum pump. Still have spongy pedal. If I pump it one time I have good pedal that holds and doesn't go down at all. When I manually bleed them it shoots 3' with strong stream. Before I changed calipers the brakes were fine just were sticking and getting hot.

Are you starting the motor and operating the power assist?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:27 AM   #11
Truck55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Are you starting the motor and operating the power assist?

Yes bleeding them with motor running
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Sudsy

Default Bleeding system

Quote:
Yes bleeding them with motor running

I have never done a motor home before but when I do cars and trucks with power brakes we always bled the system with the engine off and checked when done with the engine running and the power assist on. You say you are getting a solid stream. How about the Parking Brake. I have a yellow knob that pulls out to lock the brakes. I have read that there are two versions of the system. One used the power steering pump to create pressure but the second version like I have has a dedicated pump that pressurizes the brakes and serves as a Parking Brake.

Sudsy
Old 06-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #13
Sudsy

Default Parking Brake System

Dan;

Look here for some info. I haven't read it all and haven't seen any "bleeding" references yet but it will explain how it works and that may help a lot.

http://www.rvautopark.com/

http://www.rvautopark.com/faq/bleedi...-brake-system/

Read these and see if they apply.

Sudsy
Old 06-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #14
Truck55

I have F-53 Ford chassis. So no auto park. This is the 3rd motorhome I've had. They have all been F-53 chassis. I've done calipers and brakes on all of them. This on is the only one I've had trouble bleeding the air out. The other 2 were a 94 and 96.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #15
Sudsy

Quote:
I have F-53 Ford chassis. So no auto park. This is the 3rd motorhome I've had. They have all been F-53 chassis. I've done calipers and brakes on all of them. This on is the only one I've had trouble bleeding the air out. The other 2 were a 94 and 96.

Eye Sea!

I thought for some reason that you were working on a Workhorse with the big brakes and calipers. In that case I almost out of ideas. Have you checked to see if the master cylinder is leaking out the back. This will sometimes show by fluid dripping from power boost diaphragm can. You can sometimes see the air bubbles if you have someone slowly depress the pedal with the cap off and the system full. I had one once that was leaking internally and was a real female dog to find. Good luck, keep me posted.

Sudsy
Old 06-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #16
Restorium

Try driving it around some. Sometimes that works.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:36 AM   #17
Sudsy

Quote:

I sure would like to see a picture of your MH. Is it like mine but on the Ford Chassis?

Sudsy