Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
Rhodesia

Default 22 Gal LP tank

I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager model 8368 37 foot gas coach I'm planing on living in an RV park for about a year and does anyone know of a device or adapter to run external LP tanks like I see on these big 5th wheels in the RV park for the RV without me having to drive out of the park to fill the tank? They have a LP gas truck that comes by and picks up and replace these long LP tanks for the 5th wheel some of the 5th wheels I see have about 4 external tanks instead of using there two 10 pound tanks that come with the 5th wheels. I wanted to know If an RV can use the same process. Thanks
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Sudsy

I am pretty sure you onboard tank is like mine. 75 gals. It's about 3 ft. long and 18 inches in diameter. I refill about every other year. Use electric heaters and don't use the stove top for much more than brewing iced tea.

Sudsy
Old 10-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Rhodesia

Default LP tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I am pretty sure you onboard tank is like mine. 75 gals. It's about 3 ft. long and 18 inches in diameter. I refill about every other year. Use electric heaters and don't use the stove top for much more than brewing iced tea.

Sudsy
Well mine is a 22 Gal LP tank as per factory manual, and as stamped on the tank itself, how did you manage to get a 75 lbs LP tank in yours? LOL
Old 10-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesia View Post
Well mine is a 22 Gal LP tank as per factory manual, and as stamped on the tank itself, how did you manage to get a 75 lbs LP tank in yours? LOL

.Well I just did the research and found that my tank is smaller than yours. Mine is a 85lb. tank that calculates at 20.06gals. the formula is Lbs.x .236.

ie

85lb x .236 =20.06gals.

This always confuses me. The tanks on a TT are usually 30lb tanks that hold 7.08 Gallons.

But really we don't full time but we also don't use much propane. I'm even going to get on of the new Induction Cook-tops so I don't use gas for stove top cooking. I also have a microwave/convection and don't even have a gas oven.

I would think any Propane company would be happy to get you all hooked up so they could sell you gas. Just find a company that has a service department. Our Suburban Gas company here won't service gas appliances.

Sudsy
Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
Rhodesia

Quote:
.Well I just did the research and found that my tank is smaller than yours. Mine is a 85lb. tank that calculates at 20.06gals. the formula is Lbs.x .236.

ie

85lb x .236 =20.06gals.

This always confuses me. The tanks on a TT are usually 30lb tanks that hold 7.08 Gallons.

But really we don't full time but we also don't use much propane. I'm even going to get on of the new Induction Cook-tops so I don't use gas for stove top cooking. I also have a microwave/convection and don't even have a gas oven.

I would think any Propane company would be happy to get you all hooked up so they could sell you gas. Just find a company that has a service department. Our Suburban Gas company here won't service gas appliances.

Sudsy
thanks for the info, I was mainly looking at winter because in Nevada the winder tens to last for about 2 months and the temp drops around 20 degrees around the 7,000 foot level not including wind chill factor which is where the RV park is located
Old 10-31-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Restorium

Quote:
I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager model 8368 37 foot gas coach I'm planing on living in an RV park for about a year and does anyone know of a device or adapter to run external LP tanks like I see on these big 5th wheels in the RV park for the RV without me having to drive out of the park to fill the tank? They have a LP gas truck that comes by and picks up and replace these long LP tanks for the 5th wheel some of the 5th wheels I see have about 4 external tanks instead of using there two 10 pound tanks that come with the 5th wheels. I wanted to know If an RV can use the same process. Thanks
Flag that truck down and get hooked up!
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Sudsy

Default Electric Heaters

We have one of those electric heaters that looks like a old steam radiator but it is filled with oil. It gets nice and hot and has a tip over switch. It keeps the coach nice and warm for us so far. If not we have two other little ceramic cube heaters that do the job. I rarely use the furnace.

Sudsy
Old 10-31-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
Restorium

Quote:
We have one of those electric heaters that looks like a old steam radiator but it is filled with oil. It gets nice and hot and has a tip over switch. It keeps the coach nice and warm for us so far. If not we have two other little ceramic cube heaters that do the job. I rarely use the furnace.

Sudsy
Us too! We like the electric radiator when we are at the state parks, it's free heat. It works great to sit your coffee mug on and keep it just right, hot. They are priceless.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:19 AM   #9
DilceFarNiente

To add on an extra exterior LP tank, purchase an item called an Extend-a-Stay. It will tap into your existing gas line and run to an external tank, a barbeque or what have you..

Most big box hardware stores and Amazon carry them, and they are not difficult or complicated to install yourself.

We used the small refillable tank when we were working oil rig gate security way out in the Texas boonies for months at at time .

However, double check to see if that the propane truck you see coming through the park won't simply fill your tank... we've stayed at many parks where the local propane company would send the truck through the campground once a week and if you needed your onboard filled, you just flagged him down. If its a truck with the big LP tank on the back (rather than a flat bed filled with tall bottles) he can fill your onboard no problem.
DilceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
BobClearyJr

Default Top off the tank

Before our parents passed away my two brothers and I would frequently visit with our motorhomes. Mom and Dad had a 100 pound LP tank serviced by Suburban Propane. When they came to top off the tank for the house they would top off the tank for any of the motorhomes parked around the house. For us there was only one delivery fee for all, not for each tank. Like mentioned above, flag down the truck or call the number on the truck.
Bob
BobClearyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
DilceFarNiente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Us too! We like the electric radiator when we are at the state parks, it's free heat. It works great to sit your coffee mug on and keep it just right, hot. They are priceless.
Most long-stay pay-by-the-month RV parks meter and charge separately for electricity, and the charge per KW is often higher than city rates.

Propane may be more economical in the OP's situation.
DilceFarNiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
J79Engine

Default 22 gal LP tank

Quote:
I purchased a LP adapter kit from Camping World in Florida that screws into the fill valve on your on board tank so you can hook up any size external tank you want. I have a spare 20 gal tank I carry with us for winter temp surprises. I also have a electric heater I hook into the site post. I also place a 70 watt incindescent light bulb on a drop cord into the water bay which prevents water line freeze. Don’t leave your drain line hooked up it can’t handle freezing temps.
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:07 PM   #13
GPappy

I called a local propane company and they brought me a 200 (?) gallon tank, they also "teed" into my m/h propane line. They did everything and only charge rent on tank if you don't refill.
GPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #14
RJ82much

As previously mentioned, the Extend-a-Stay was very helpful. I just kept my 20lb cylinder in my toad & didn't worry about a propane delivery guy. I also purchased a 4-port tap with 12 foot hose kit to run an external grill. 12 ft was necessary because the lp tank was on backside of MH & our grill was in front, of course. Both kits are available almost everywhere, including Camping World

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 AM   #15
Loner

I live full time in a 5th Wheel. I cook a lot, I rearly us the gas cooktop or oven. I use a toaster oven and a double hot plate. But don't try to use both at the same time on the same AC Leg Power, it might trip the breaker.
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #16
Steveg

I grew up in the propane gas business. There is a high pressure line coming from your propane tank. The gas company will take that loose and connect that line to another line that reaches their tanks. They can’t legally fill your rented tank the first time without testing out your system. This is usually part of the account setup procedure. Call them and tell them your desire and they will quote you a price and get you set up in their delivery system.
Steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:45 AM   #17
Loner

Yes I have done all that. The reason I use Electric instead of gas is the $$$$$$$
Old 11-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #18
Sudsy

Default Heated compartments

If the temps are going to be below freezing for more than a brief time )one or two nights) then using the electric heaters are a good option for me. But if it's going to be a hard freeze then I need to run the propane heat to keep the wet compartments warmed. I have heated compartments that depend on that forced air to maintain above freezing temps.

Sudsy
Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
Loner

I was referring to cooking only
Old 11-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #20
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I was referring to cooking only

I see. I am looking for a suitable induction cooktop for RV use. I am also trying to remember the name of the one unit steamer/crockpot/rice cooker/fryer. anybody know what I'm talking about/

Sudsy