Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-04-2018, 09:02 AM   #1
Texas Shriner

Default Horn Inop - repaired

Well the horn quit working on the 2008 Independence (F53). I got out my trusty DMM and buzzed out the relay (good), fuse (good), ground (repaired/good). Sigh. Removed steering wheel cover and buzzed out the switch (good) and finally the clock spring (no good and replaced).
Well that was a pain in the ass....hope this helps someone in the future.
Texas Shriner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Shriner View Post
Well the horn quit working on the 2008 Independence (F53). I got out my trusty DMM and buzzed out the relay (good), fuse (good), ground (repaired/good). Sigh. Removed steering wheel cover and buzzed out the switch (good) and finally the clock spring (no good and replaced).
Well that was a pain in the ass....hope this helps someone in the future.

Just ordered one (clock-spring) for my 2000 E250 tow vehicle. It's the cruise control that quit on me.

Sudsy
Old 11-06-2018, 04:28 AM   #3
Big Shasta

I have an intermittent horn on my MH. I've tried to get the horn button off and even with all the screws out of the bottom, it just doesn't budge. It's the standard freightliner wheel with no buttons on it and the horn bar across the bottom.

I'm thinking clock spring is likely my issue as well.

Tricks?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
I have an intermittent horn on my MH. I've tried to get the horn button off and even with all the screws out of the bottom, it just doesn't budge. It's the standard freightliner wheel with no buttons on it and the horn bar across the bottom.

I'm thinking clock spring is likely my issue as well.

Tricks?

I thought I posted this before.

You don't have a "clockspring" on a Freightliner wheel.

Check the horn itself. (hit it with 12 volts and see if it blows).
Look for a horn relay and see if it checks out. (press the horn button and see if there is 12volts out)

Sudsy
Old 11-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I thought I posted this before.

You don't have a "clockspring" on a Freightliner wheel.

Check the horn itself. (hit it with 12 volts and see if it blows).
Look for a horn relay and see if it checks out. (press the horn button and see if there is 12volts out)

Sudsy
It blows depending on wheel position and how hard you hit/wiggle the button . Why I thought I had a bad clock spring...but, if it doesn't have one, my issue is likely whatever type of slip ring the wheel has...if I can't get into it I'll never know/fix it.
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Sudsy

Default My Wheel

I am not sure if my Work Horse wheel is the same as yours. And beside that I have never taken it apart. Try to find someone that has taken one apart. It mat be a matter of prying the rubber material (if it's like mine). And you are right about the slip ring for the horn.

But my air horns sound like a cruise ship!

Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-03-05 16.17.58.jpg (175.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
bjcarlin71

Default Loose ground

I had all sorts of trouble with my console electronics, including the air horn switch. If I had a certain combination of lighter/12v outlets in use, the levelers would function properly. Sometimes it was the slides and constantly cut out the backup video! I kept poking around behind the panel and finally found two things - one, a loose connection on one of the 12v outlets which wreaked havoc with several panel buttons, and a loose ground that affected just about everything. Once I installed our grandson in the panel to hold the connections tight, problems resolved. Seriously, be sure all connections are tight and secure. And if some wires are too short to allow you to take the panel off far enough to carefully examine each wire, cut the offenders and splice in some additional wiring. Once off, you might find some interesting things in there if it's a previously owned coach. I found an auxiliary input wire to the stereo/CD/backup camera onto which I installed a small Bluetooth receiver. Now I can use my phone wirelessly for music. Also found a hidden 12v receptacle. I connected wiring to a 12v light we use on the steering wheel. Just like loose screws all around the coach, check your wiring connections regularly.

2008 Tourmaster 40F
bjcarlin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 AM   #8
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I am not sure if my Work Horse wheel is the same as yours. And beside that I have never taken it apart. Try to find someone that has taken one apart. It mat be a matter of prying the rubber material (if it's like mine). And you are right about the slip ring for the horn.

But my air horns sound like a cruise ship!

Sudsy
It is nice and loud, When it will blow. My buddy has a 2015 Entegra Anthem and he's jealous of my horn....(I'm jealous of everything else about his coach).

Here's a pic of the wheel, the horn button is the bar across the bottom (it's upside down in the pic). There is 2 screws behind it that I took out but nothing gets loose and I don't want to start prying things off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crescendo 7.jpg (130.4 KB, 3 views)